UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Calico Jack Pirate minimates

@ Zach: When can we expect to see the CJ army/crew building set hit comic book shops?

It may not. At least, not in that format.

Noooooooooooooooooooo! I'm really looking forward to those guys and to seeing what's in wave 2. CJ has sold. Very well around here. I think both TRUs are sold out.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Zach: When can we expect to see the CJ army/crew building set hit comic book shops?

It may not. At least, not in that format.

I have had a few on pre-order since they were announced.

But Zach did not say they were outright cancelled. They might end up as 2-packs instead. I hope that's not the case, unless something else takes it's place. I like the idea of having a 4-pack to help flesh out the line. BUT....if the current 4-pack became 2 2-packs, I could buy more of those skeletons!

Bottom line is, as long as we get these figures AND they don't end up taking over slots meant for other characters, I'm okay with it.

But Zach did not say they were outright cancelled. They might end up as 2-packs instead. I hope that's not the case, unless something else takes it's place. I like the idea of having a 4-pack to help flesh out the line. BUT....if the current 4-pack became 2 2-packs, I could buy more of those skeletons!

Getting specialty stores to buy in to one of our proprietary brands is a tall order anyway, but we wanted to try. Looks like they WILL be getting made as two-packs, if TRU continues to bite. Buy Pirate Minimates at TRU, please.

Bottom line is, as long as we get these figures AND they don't end up taking over slots meant for other characters, I'm okay with it.

Considering that we're making up this line as we go along, they're really only pushing other characters back a bit. We invent characters to fit what we need. Now we need less!

Getting specialty stores to buy in to one of our proprietary brands is a tall order anyway, but we wanted to try. Looks like they WILL be getting made as two-packs, if TRU continues to bite. Buy Pirate Minimates at TRU, please.

Considering that we're making up this line as we go along, they're really only pushing other characters back a bit. We invent characters to fit what we need. Now we need less!

That was precisely what I was hoping against. I was specifically referring to losing character slots for Calico Jack mates. :sad:. My only criticism is I wish the weapons were more reality-based in their designs as opposed to the fantasy-based ones we got. It makes army building less interesting because the accessories are too unique for me.

Hopefully the specialty stores will be swarming over the Zombie line!

I'm a bit disappointed as I was hoping to help support the line through my local specialty/comic store. Given the pattern for TRU outside the US (TRU Canada specifically), I'm a bit concerned that any orders TRU makes will be cancelled and the line won't be available outside the US. I hope my concerns are unfounded as I do want to support the line and see succeed.

If the 4-pack does become 2-packs, does that mean 4 new characters to complete a wave? Might be an opportunity to include a monkey or parrot accessory for a new character :).

That was precisely what I was hoping against. I was specifically referring to losing character slots for Calico Jack mates. :sad:. My only criticism is I wish the weapons were more reality-based in their designs as opposed to the fantasy-based ones we got. It makes army building less interesting because the accessories are too unique for me.

We're against it, too, but orders were extremely low for the four pack. Some will be in Series 2.

They will be.

I'm a bit disappointed as I was hoping to help support the line through my local specialty/comic store. Given the pattern for TRU outside the US (TRU Canada specifically), I'm a bit concerned that any orders TRU makes will be cancelled and the line won't be available outside the US. I hope my concerns are unfounded as I do want to support the line and see succeed.

Well, we appreciate it, but again, it was a hard sell to specialty. How many did you order through your local comic shop? Hopefully, if your TRU in Canada got in Series 1, they'll get in Series 2.

If the 4-pack does become 2-packs, does that mean 4 new characters to complete a wave? Might be an opportunity to include a monkey or parrot accessory for a new character :).

I think we can manage that.

They will be.

I think we can manage that.

YESSSSS!!!! :highfive2:

I will buy multiples of a pirate monkey!! I want a parrot too, but a minimate compatible monkey is at the top of my list! If CJ wave 2 has BOTH a monkey AND a parrot in it, I'll buy more of wave 2 than I did of wave 1 (and I bought more than 2 cases worth of wave 1!) It's too bad that the Calico Jack brand doesn't come with as many accessories as the MAX brand does. A treasure chest would be awesome, but animals come first!

As for the retailers swarming over the Zombie line? That. Is. SO. Awesome! I love what's been shown so far, and this is the best way to get more unique parts for customs!! I already have plans for that mailman for sure (Willy Lumpkin!). I'm buying the Zombies by the case-load as well!

Zach, will the Zombie line be at TRU??

Maybe it's cause I just watched PotC (horrible movies BTW) but this article is amazing, and completely enthralling. Must be the historian in me coming out.

So, when are we gona see Mary Read, Laurens de Graaf, Thomas Paine, and some Jamacian/Rastafarian type army builders (Think of it. Minimate Dreadlocks.) And my personal favorite, our own resident pirate, Jean LaFitte. His hoards still exist in the gulf coast stretches today. Some of his gold was discovered in Texas about 30 years ago. (Karankwan army builders. They eat people for crying out loud!)

Man, why do the pirate we have today suck? Somalians. They don't know squat.

Look, Zach. I just finished out the rest of wave 2 for you. Go to work! ;)

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

As for the retailers swarming over the Zombie line? That. Is. SO. Awesome! I love what's been shown so far, and this is the best way to get more unique parts for customs!! I already have plans for that mailman for sure (Willy Lumpkin!). I'm buying the Zombies by the case-load as well!

Zach, will the Zombie line be at TRU??

I believe TRU will be taking it, but there may be some changes made to the line at first to get the ball rolling.

Look, Zach. I just finished out the rest of wave 2 for you. Go to work! ;)

I think there are a couple more name pirates in Wave 2, but also some cool period-specific 'Mates I think you all will dig.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought the Queen Anne's Revenge pirate ship playset at Walmart - on clearance - for $15!! Couldn't pass it up!

Me 'mates look terrific on board! If you ask me, minimates are better-scaled to this ship than the POTC figures are! Plus there's plenty of room for all of them! Which is also the downside - this thing is nearly 3 feet long and easy 18 inches high. I've got a nice OSM Astro-Nautilus/kraken climbing up the side to boot!

Yarrr.

Just bought the Queen Anne's Revenge pirate ship playset at Walmart - on clearance - for $15!! Couldn't pass it up!

Me 'mates look terrific on board! If you ask me, minimates are better-scaled to this ship than the POTC figures are! Plus there's plenty of room for all of them! Which is also the downside - this thing is nearly 3 feet long and easy 18 inches high. I've got a nice OSM Astro-Nautilus/kraken climbing up the side to boot!

Yarrr.

I would go back to Walmart, Target and TRU and scoop up a couple of the blackbeard/cannon deluxe packs while they are still cheap and available. That's what we did for my son so he could fill up the upper and lower desks with cannons. otherwise, you have to shuffle the one that was included around.

The other deluxe packs also integrate into the ship.

Its a nice size for Minimates, but if I were to do it, the sails, rigging and paint would need work. Playmobil makes far nicer, close-to-minimate scale ships, though you can't touch the new Lego POTC for detail.

Edited by captain_cbecker

Yarrr.

Pics?

So, when are we gonna see KLAUS STÖRTEBEKER?

Fixed that. :tongue:

Do you guys know him? I guess he's the best known pirate here. It's said he was the captain of a pirate crew who captured merchant vessels and gave a lot of their wealth to the poor people in Hamburg - just like RObin Hood did several years later in England.

Now it get's cool:

Legend has it the crew was betrayed and captured and brought to Hamburg were all of them were sentenced to death. But Störtebeker made a deal with the mayor: he asked him to release all of his crew members he would be able to walk past after he'd being beheaded. The mayor accepted it and after being beheaded, Störtebeker was able to walk past 11 of his men before one of the mayor's servants tripped him with an out-streched foot.

How cool is that?

We haven't gotten official confirmation from Zach or DST as far as I know, only a comment on the forum about not sure if there was enough retailer interest.

EDIT: Well, after re-reading Zach's post here, it sounds like he did confirm the boxset was cancelled but the characters may show up in future waves.

Edited by youbastards