UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Calico Jack Pirate minimates

It would be great if they increase the depth to 72 'mates. I bought the first case for the Battle Beast minimate alone, but it quickly proved to be a handy addition as I used it to store my Marvel Army Builders.

Edited by pawcanada

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be in heaven if they released a carrying case that included a 616 Shield army builder. I would buy a bunch. (Think about it DST!)

While I'd love a 616 SHIELD member as much if not more as the next person, please not one per $18 set.

Also, for those of you with these figures... have you used any other existing parts along with these to make more pirate peoples? If so, I'm really interested in seeing/hearing about 'em.

So, is it just me, or is Calico Jack 'dead in the water'?

I just got done visiting 4 different TRU (looking for RGB ghost packs) and each store had an entire case on the pegs, undisturbed. The same with the Sony 'mates, these seem to be heavy peg-warmers too...

I doubt these were restocks, as the case breakdowns were 100%.

I really want Calico Jack to succeed, but this doesn't seem to bode well for the line.

Are other collectors seeing this at their local TRU too, or is this more of a southeast Michigan thing? :unsure:

On the plus side, First Class 'mates seem to be selling well, so maybe we'll see that second wave after all. :teehee:

There is zero promotion done, other than Art Asylum's website. To my knowledge, TRU has never done any advertising of them in the store circular. The most promotion that has ever been done has been through Previews and in the old days, Toyfare magazine.

To add insult to injury, in all 4 stores I visited today, none of them had all of the Minimates together in one location to help cross-promote the lines.

The fact that both Sony and Calico Jack are 100% available on TRU.com this far after launch means one of two things.

- The production numbers on these are a lot more than a normal Minimates release

or

- The production numbers are normal, but interest in these lines is just lower than other Minimates series.

Also, for those of you with these figures... have you used any other existing parts along with these to make more pirate peoples? If so, I'm really interested in seeing/hearing about 'em.

P1040549.jpg

here are some guys i put together

I wiped out an entire case myself and ordered a set online. I'll watch to see if my TRU restocks.

I always hope for each line to succeed to keep TRU interested in Minimates. I know Marvel stuff always sells well, but I want my variety! Pretty sick of video game properties though.

In SoCal, some TRU's have Calico Jack in the collector aisle with other MM's, some have them next to the POTC toys in the next aisle, which is a mistake I feel.

I *Really* want to see this particular line succeed, as Pirates are perfect for minimates! My ONLY wish for this line is that they change the accessories to more normal pirate gear, instead of the specialized fantasy style guns, swords and knives we're seeing.

Oh, and WHERE'S THE TREASURE?? Minimate scale Pirate treasure chest - Make It So!!

Edited by monkeycrumb

There is zero promotion done, other than Art Asylum's website. To my knowledge, TRU has never done any advertising of them in the store circular. The most promotion that has ever been done has been through Previews and in the old days, Toyfare magazine.

To add insult to injury, in all 4 stores I visited today, none of them had all of the Minimates together in one location to help cross-promote the lines.

The fact that both Sony and Calico Jack are 100% available on TRU.com this far after launch means one of two things.

- The production numbers on these are a lot more than a normal Minimates release

or

- The production numbers are normal, but interest in these lines is just lower than other Minimates series.

All of that confirms what I had assumed,thankyou.

Those look swell! What's the brown hair on the lady from?

I've made several as well, but don't have 'em with me right now to photograph. Hopefully this evening.

thank you!

the hair is from spider girl the rest is the black queen the belt is from the mirror mirror set

A foreboding comment from DST's facebook page:

"If Pirates doesn't do well, we may have to rethink future in-house lines, and we don't want to promise a line of, say, Minimate musketeers (for example) and then not deliver."

Do you guys think that DST made more cases of Pirates than say any give wave of Marvel? I'm more than positive they did more cases of Pirates than they did of M.A.X Heroes. Anybody care to hinder an opinion?

I honestly think they just aren't moving as well as DST may have hoped, and can't comment to the number produced. I've been to multiple stores that have an entire case on the pegs, and that definitely wasn't the case with the M.A.X. line (aside from the firefighters/smokejumpers).

I really would like to see this line succeed, especially as it now appears other DST in-house lines may depend on the success.

My dream line would be a line of non-licensed fantasy inspired knights/trolls/goblins/dwarves/elves...etc. I would love to use Minimates in my Dungeons & Dragons group as the part-swapping and customizing of Minimates would be a perfect match for D&D games.

A foreboding comment from DST's facebook page:

"If Pirates doesn't do well, we may have to rethink future in-house lines, and we don't want to promise a line of, say, Minimate musketeers (for example) and then not deliver."

I don't think DST has anything to worry about with this line. A huge crush of Minimates hit TRU all at once. Casual buyers are going to grab properties they know, not random pirate themed toys. These will be gone in the next two months. They aren't flying off the shelves like MAX Heroes, but I blame TRU disorganization. If all Minimates were grouped in a single display, more casual buyers would say, "Hey, these look cool."

The only "future in-house line" DST has right now is Battle Beasts. They can re-think that all they want because as it stands, these are never getting made.

At the end of the day, Pirates will do fine enough for another couple of waves in my opinion. Unique characters ALWAYS sell with collectors. It's only after the 40th re-hash of characters (I'm looking at you Winter Coat Captain America and Arctic Destro) do collectors say enough is enough.

If I were DST, Pirates Wave 2 would contain an "army builder" pirate in each pack. This would give collectors a reason to buy multiple packs of the same thing.

Anybody care to hinder an opinion?

How many people will buy pirates that have no ships?

I may be wrong, but the TRU cases may not have the numbers on them like the LCS cases, not 100% sure about that though.

I have some early Marvel TRU cases & they are numberless.....again not categoric .

Has anybody ever seen a case on the floor? If yess did anybody take notice of the numbers of cases produced printed on the side?

It's printed differently and not numbered like the specialty waves. I don't think I saw a numbering on the MAX vehicles either but I don't have it anymore as I gave it away. Not sure about the Calico line, but I would assume the same.

The one thing that is recorded on the shipping label is the number of boxes shipped to a distribution center. But I don't think that helps a great deal. The Rialto, CA says it got 161 wave 8 boxes but 45 wave 9 boxes. I don't take the numbers as fact as those 2 numbers don't make much sense. But that could be a reason why wave 9 was shorthanded in the beginning. And different distribution centers probably get different numbers of cases.

Edited by storm 1:08

They aren't flying off the shelves like MAX Heroes, but I blame TRU disorganization.

I'm not arguing JP, especially about TRU disorganisation, but did the Max Heroes fly off the shelves ? My point is that I felt (I live in the UK & have no way of knowing) that they were produced in fewer numbers than GB for example . I base my opinion on what is said on here,PMs & watching ebay......ebay rarely shows anything from the Max Heroes line which is very unusual bearing in mind that most everything TRU else showed in large numbers . If, as I believe ,the MAX Heroes were such a revelation why haven't they been re-issued like almost the entirety of the GB line? Just asking!

I don't think I saw a numbering on the MAX vehicles either but I don't have it anymore as I gave it away.

I'll look :biggrin:

did the Max Heroes fly off the shelves ?

They did in my experience, well, the Special Ops and Law Enforcement packs did. The Firefighters/Smoke Jumpers smoldered around a little longer, but didn't really peg-warm around Southeast Michigan. The lack of restocks were really what made that line seem more difficult to obtain. I heard they went on clearance at some stores, but I never saw them in person.

Th other thing that M.A.X. had that Calico Jack doesn't is instant integration into the Marvel line. It's harder for Marvel collectors to shoe-horn the pirate line into their Marvel collection than it is for cops, firefighters, and special forces.

I think another thing to remember is that basically these were made to piggy-back off the hype/success of Pirates of the Caribbean 4, and I'm not sure how commercially successful that film has been. No less a company than Lego made sets for the film, but as far as I can tell, those are struggling too, although perhaps for different reasons (in this case, too expensive).