UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU Wave 11

Lurch77

I agree that Bane shouldn't have been 2.5", but I thought Killer Croc, Ares, Clayface, Grodd, etc... all translated well to the 2.5" body.

I also agree with the notion that everyone should have a 2" body, but without all the add-ons. It's easy to see that's not going to happen, though. I was around at the beginning of the powerhouse torso nonsense and I voiced my displeasure with the added pieces way back when. Just made it look too out of whack with the much skinnier arms and legs. I will admit that adding the bigger arm and leg pieces help to balance out the torso. I just feel that the Minimate would look more like a Minimate if you had a plain 2.5" body as opposed to a 2" body with all the added pieces.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad 2.5" are dead.

Yes. Agreed.

On the other hand there are characters like Pym and the Sentinels that really could have benifited from a 3" or 4" size option.

I don't think the point of minimates is to make them all the same scale. If that was the case, why add torso extensions, designs to manipulate scale, and accessories that push to 2.5? What makes some of the best minimates are ones that capture the essence of the character and show variations from existing mates. I think you can really add alot to certain characters by using the 2.5 bodies in the future. And a Jubilee that is bigger than my Rhino currently does not capture a character correctly like Rhino.

Love the new Hulk hands and feet! Say no to "Duck" Feet

Yeah... i get what you're saying about the Jubes vs Rhino thing - but when i got on board with MiniMates, i was collecting what seemed more like a designer toy than a childrens toy line. I enjoyed seeing how they could get the essence of a character into a generic block figure with paint apps and maybe 1 or 2 accessories.

Kind of like what MightyMuggs do.

I don't think the point of minimates is to make them all the same scale. If that was the case, why add torso extensions, designs to manipulate scale, and accessories that push to 2.5? What makes some of the best minimates are ones that capture the essence of the character and show variations from existing mates. I think you can really add alot to certain characters by using the 2.5 bodies in the future. And a Jubilee that is bigger than my Rhino currently does not capture a character correctly like Rhino.

Love the new Hulk hands and feet! Say no to "Duck" Feet

Personally I agree with this. While I can see the charm of having a Hulk of the same size and bulk as Spider-Man, I do like the sculpted pieces we've been getting recently to bulk them up.

Then again I've never felt a minimate HAS to be 2". I have no problem with the Boogieman minimate's extreamly large head and torso.

I get both schools of thought, here. On the one hand, yes, the original charm of Minimates was the uniformity of the line, and the fact that through minor variations primarily in paint apps, the figures could be made unique.

That being said, the most popular figures were already made using that approach. The new figures that are being given the bulked up bodies are almost universally reiterations of those old figures, just with a new design aesthetic meant to appeal to a different audience.

So... people who don't like bulked up bodies... either just don't buy them, or at the very least, don't bitch about them. If you want a slender Hulk, he exists. Find him. Is he super expensive now? Sure. But at least you have the option to buy him as such. If DST just remade him for you, then those of us who WANT a bulked up Hulk would never even have the option to get one.

DST is brilliantly giving us options in which way we want to collect. Now that the major characters have all been made one way, the line is being filled out in the new style which is more appealing to a wider fan base. Sure, the simpler 'mates have a more artistic appeal to them that some collectors find intriguing, but the more elaborate 'mates allow for a display with far more character AND bring to the table a greater mass market appeal for kids who want the more muscular figures to BE more muscular. Because, be honest... when you were a little boy, didn't YOU want YOUR Thing to be huge?

That being said, the most popular figures were already made using that approach. The new figures that are being given the bulked up bodies are almost universally reiterations of those old figures, just with a new design aesthetic meant to appeal to a different audience.

Based on this, I'm guessing you are primarily a Marvel collector. My issue is not with re-releases of existing figures so much as a general trend by DST moving away from basic Minimates and more toward elaborately sculpted Minimates that are contain less and less of what make Minimates Minimates. Look at the Boogie Man and Egyptian Ghost from Ghostbusters. http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=1222&n=Boogieman http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=1225&n=Egyptian+Ghost They could just as easily be Kubricks or small, articulated Mattel figures as Minimates. Same goes for many of the HALO guys.

This is becoming more and more common, and is bound to affect the way AA's creative team goes about making decisions on how figures are going to be made. Even if that isn't a conscious strategy, as they add more sculpted parts, then that's gonna be at the forefront of their mind when they go into making the next Hawkeye or whatever, and their decision-making process is gonna be more and more biased in that direction. I like the idea that AA/DST have a large tool-kit, and can do what they thin is best for the character given that, without feeling so many constraints. Hulk does work better with a Powerhouse chest than without one IMO. As does Juggernaut (though the screwy helmet I'm not so keen on). But when the Minimate Hulk parts are almost totally hidden from sight due to the Minimate underneath, I'm not sure that I like that in terms of what it might mean for the future of Minimates broadly. So. . .that's another side of the argument.

Also, I'm a bit confused by your reference to all the "bitching" that is supposedly going on here. This (as almost all discussions on this forum) has been insanely civil and reasonable compared to most internet discussions, but you're acting like people are running around and cussing the gods over this thing.

Based on this, I'm guessing you are primarily a Marvel collector. My issue is not with re-releases of existing figures so much as a general trend by DST moving away from basic Minimates and more toward elaborately sculpted Minimates that are contain less and less of what make Minimates Minimates. Look at the Boogie Man and Egyptian Ghost from Ghostbusters. http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=1222&n=Boogieman http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=1225&n=Egyptian+Ghost They could just as easily be Kubricks or small, articulated Mattel figures as Minimates. Same goes for many of the HALO guys.

This is becoming more and more common, and is bound to affect the way AA's creative team goes about making decisions on how figures are going to be made. Even if that isn't a conscious strategy, as they add more sculpted parts, then that's gonna be at the forefront of their mind when they go into making the next Hawkeye or whatever, and their decision-making process is gonna be more and more biased in that direction. I like the idea that AA/DST have a large tool-kit, and can do what they thin is best for the character given that, without feeling so many constraints. Hulk does work better with a Powerhouse chest than without one IMO. As does Juggernaut (though the screwy helmet I'm not so keen on). But when the Minimate Hulk parts are almost totally hidden from sight due to the Minimate underneath, I'm not sure that I like that in terms of what it might mean for the future of Minimates broadly. So. . .that's another side of the argument.

Also, I'm a bit confused by your reference to all the "bitching" that is supposedly going on here. This (as almost all discussions on this forum) has been insanely civil and reasonable compared to most internet discussions, but you're acting like people are running around and cussing the gods over this thing.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Now excuse me while I go MEGA RAGE!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

What I never liked about the 2.5 inchers, and I'm suprised no one has brought this up... is the actual physical incompatability...

I dunno about ya'll... but I have on occassion been known to play with my minimates. I did it more back in the day, when I only had like... 12, and removed parts were much easier to keep track of, and less now that I have several hundred... but still do occassionally.

That said, Croc and Bane and... The entire Lord of the Rings line... annoyed me, because they didn't lend themselves to creative play.

You couldn't take parts off Croc and add them to a smaller minimate. Likewise, you couldn't take smaller parts and put them on Croc.

And I couldn't put Legolas' hair on Gollum... or Sauron's pants on Frodo. AND I COULD NEVER PUT MY GANDALF'S IAN McKELLAN FACE ON MAGNETO! WHICH WOULD HAVE BEEN AWESOME! *Shakes Fist!*

And all that bugged me.

Now... say what you will about the more complex sculpted Marvel characters (I like some, I don't like some, like everyone) But at least the vast majority of their parts, if not all of their parts, can be removed and re-attached to any other Marvel Minimate figure I might desire to attach them to, for whatever reason. Which I've always loved about the Marvel line. All using the same base figure, Damn near ANY part, from damn near ANY figure, can go on any other figure. (With the rare and occasional exception of a pegged hair-piece on a head without a hole.)

I can dress Croc up half Bane. I can dress Bane up half Croc. After that they get real boring...

So, chalk me up as one more "good riddance to 2.5"

Edited by Gillbob316

Yeah, I'm with Karma 100%. Instead of looking at a character and saying "How can we get this design onto a 2" block figure?" they now look at a character and say "Eh, just make some new parts." Seriously, that's almost as annoying as the constant re-releases. Example: X-Force Wolverine. He was PERFECT. Most people agree he's the best Wolverine. So what do they do? They re-release him with new parts. He's terrible. I'm a fan of Powerhouse chest pieces, and Juggy needed one, but did he need to look like Stay Puft? Do we really need re-releases of characters that we got less than 2 years ago? Especially when they're arguably worse off?

I also agree with Gillbob. I like the mix n match aspect. They I will say that I have a tiny drill that is the same size as hair pegs. I tend to drill through the non-holed heads of my first few waves of Minimates.

• 3 weeks later...

Did the usual sample case of these show up yet on TRU.com? K80, do you already have these? Did they get delayed or something? We never saw packaging pics on art asylum but I thought they were supposed to be out late July/early August.

Edited by Lobsterman

I haven't seen these anywhere yet, not even on eBay, so I'm guessing they aren't available. Chances are TRU will list 3 cases worth, Groundhog will buy them, then he will post and give us first impressions.

Edited by karamazov80

And here we're off to the races once more...

Of course they come out this week, the week we're trying to keep "extra" spending down until Friday's paycheck. >sigh<

Edited by Mirymate

Man, I hate it when someone beats me to the punch on these. Just when TRU becomes predictable in how unpredictable they can be in releases, they up an change the game.

Seriously, why am I wasting my time being on-line at 6am everyday just so some random guy can find them in a store before anybody else?

Edited by groundhog7s