UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU Wave 11

Lurch77

I guess the underlying issue is the case ratio and character selection for the TRU repack/4x slots?

Well, TRU wants short packs. No way around that. I’d suggest a 4/3/3/2 ratio as a little loophole where we’d get 3 Fantomex sets and 2 Bety sets but I doubt that’ll happen. So repacks get left over to pegwarm. Then TRU clearances the stuff out, right? When they clearance, DST loses money and not TRU. So it doesn't hurt TRU on the repacks not selling (but it's not helping either). And I can't say Minimates take up much space as opposed to Marvel Legends or other 6" figures. You have to have some stock on shelves, right? TRU must be okay with this otherwise they'd drop DST for not selling well. They must be selling enough directly from minimates and indirectly from our other purchases (they can check us through that Rewards card, remember?). I know I've bought more stuff just by frequenting the stores. So is TRU complaining about the pegwarmers? Or just us?

TRU.com pegwarming is a different issue. Not much of an impulse buy. They would need a different case ratio and that won’t happen. I asked.

As for the TRU repack/4x slots? DST tried the all FF wave and yet, the repack/4x slots still didn't sell. Character selection wasn't that popular? Maybe. Dark Magneto seems to have been a pack that is mostly gone but it wasn’t a new character.

I know the system sucks, but at least it is somewhat working enough that TRU has been sticking with it for years? :confused: And I'm saying that with regards to the constraints of TRU wanting short packs and me not wanting a full all new TRU wave all the time on top of all the specialty waves, box sets, and new lines. TRU alone has increased my Minimate spending.

But yeah, I wish something would change too.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize that the system is working, and I have no better idea on how to improve it. TRU must be happy with it, which is keeping Minimates on the shelf, which makes me happy.

My bitching comes from the fact I'm tired of seeing the same packs sitting on the pegs for months at a time, and the fear that the packs are sitting there not because of character choice or poor packouts, but because people don't want Minimates. And that makes me sad.

But I got my shipping notice from TRU.com as well, which makes me happy again. Until I see how poorly the Minimates were shipped, which will make me angry.

the fear that the packs are sitting there not because of character choice or poor packouts, but because people don't want Minimates. And that makes me sad.

See, that's what I wonder about. If we got even distributions of exclusives and repacks, would we just be bitching about how many Betsy/Nightcrawler packs are hanging around?

However, based on my totally unscientific observation, I wouldn't say people don't want Minimates. They seem to eventually sell through like any other line at TRU. I can't think of any toyline I've seen blow through TRU without any stragglers hanging around for a couple months. I think that's just the nature of retail inventory. They need to keep a balance between having stuff sit too long and having stuff sell out immediately so they have an empty store. The nature of consumerism isn't to quickly and efficiently satisfy your every desire, but to in fact constantly frustrate you and create ever more desires. ;)

Edited by Lobsterman

See, that's what I wonder about. If we got even distributions of exclusives and repacks, would we just be bitching about how many Betsy/Nightcrawler packs are hanging around?

Absolutely! That's why I kinda think a 4:3:3:2 would work somewhat better. There's usually one short pack that is more desireable (Holocaust, Fantomex, Hulkbuster). And it still has a shortpack exclusive (Blink, Betsy, Lockjaw). But when you think of it, even at 2 per case of the exclusives, demand in general seems to be satisfied in the long run and any more might just be pegwarming. Only Hulkbuster seems to be the exception.

I'd be nice if there was a preordering system, though. That'd take a lot of frustration away.

I think even HulkBuster got a pretty wide distribution. They seemed pretty plentiful on eBay at the time and most boardies here landed one. Correct me if i'm wrong.

The only exclusive that seems to have been a consistent hassle to find was Wqarpath/Angel. Even Bullseye/Moonstone seemed to settle down after a while.

Of course, this could all be coloured by the fact that Angel/Warpth is the pack i've had the hardest time finding.

No, that's the only set/wave I've never seen restocked. Maybe it was a wonky production run while they were still working out the numbers for the TRU waves. Call me crazy, but I still think there are dozens of cases of TRU wave 2 sitting lost in some warehouse somewhere... B)

On a semi-related sidenote, isn't it an odd coincidence that the Superhero Squad version of that same Warpath got lost to the mists, too?

Edited by Lobsterman

On a semi-related sidenote, isn't it an odd coincidence that the Superhero Squad version of that same Warpath got lost to the mists, too?

Nice catch there, L-man! i'll admit, i paid a bit 'too much' to get my hands on the SHS Warpath and on the MU variant. Looks like it's his fate to be short-packed no matter the scale.

That was just a weird time frame for mates in general, and Angel mates in specific. The "would the real Angel variant please stand up?" scandal of wave 31 hit within months of that too. Chuck kept saying they were looking at what they could do about it all, but I guess the answer was "nothing" cause that's what came of it. (don't blame the guy for trying though.) Three Angels, all released within a few months of each other and something wonky with the distribution of all of them. I would imagine Chuck was sick of hearing Warren's name for a while there. Poor James was just caught in the crossfire as it were. That it happened to that costume twice again is... odd.

I would seriously like to see a few waves where we have 8 completely new figures or a mix of Remakes from MANY waves ago (RHINO PLEASE!!) And pack the cases completely even because I think that would give the entire wave a chance to sell and not have any pegwarmers. I'm all for remakes and alternate costumes but can we have a break from Spiderman, Wolverine, Cap, Thor, Hulk and Ironman? Granted there are plenty of alternates of those characters that can be made but there is also a HUGE list of characters that either the fans want, can finish teams or just give us some fun and interesting ones.

I would seriously like to see a few waves where we have 8 completely new figures or a mix of Remakes from MANY waves ago (RHINO PLEASE!!) And pack the cases completely even because I think that would give the entire wave a chance to sell and not have any pegwarmers. I'm all for remakes and alternate costumes but can we have a break from Spiderman, Wolverine, Cap, Thor, Hulk and Ironman? Granted there are plenty of alternates of those characters that can be made but there is also a HUGE list of characters that either the fans want, can finish teams or just give us some fun and interesting ones.

How about:

Classic Iron Fist/ Rhino

- Iron Fist has collar-type like Deadman and avoids the bulky, covered chest piece of the original. Includes a fiery hand piece.

- Rhino is in the new, bulky body-type and included 2 sets of hands/feet for the classic OR 1990's "bracelet" look.

Classic Power Man (Luke Cage)/ Kingpin

- Power Man has an updated face (with a full mouth instead of... what we originally got).

- Kingpin has a new torso cover in line with the Mole Man & Blob. Includes cane.

Mega Rage Gray Hulk/Absorbing Man

- Hulk in the new, bulky body-type and includes 2 hairpieces for different looks.

-Absorbing Man with ball-and-chain. Also includes alternate arms/legs for absorbing effects (ex: tampo up leg phases from brick to clothes)

Mr. Fixit Hulk (variant)/Absorbing Man

- Hulk in new, bulky body-type with dark blue suit on.

-Absorbing Man with ball-and-chain. Also includes alternate arms/legs for absorbing effects (ex: tampo up leg phases from brick to clothes)

I ordered both TRU sets and they said in stock when I purchased them and then I got an email saying the Fantomex set was backordered. The only reason I placed an order was to get both sets so I wouldn't have to go hunting for them. Has anyone had any minimates sets backordered, I'm curious if I'll eventually get it sent or should I just try to find it in the store.

I ordered both TRU sets and they said in stock when I purchased them and then I got an email saying the Fantomex set was backordered. The only reason I placed an order was to get both sets so I wouldn't have to go hunting for them. Has anyone had any minimates sets backordered, I'm curious if I'll eventually get it sent or should I just try to find it in the store.

Mine shipped. :highfive2:

I don't know what to say... mine shipped too... I... I... I actually ordered something collectible from TRU and didn't get a cancelation notice. I really don't know what to say. Now the earthquake and hurricane make since... these are truely the end times. Cat and Dogs... living together... MASS HYSTERIA!!!

Mine have been placed on backorder as well. I only wish I had the option of hunting for them but I don't have a TRU closer than 120 miles away. By the time I pay for the gas to make the trip there and back I can't afford them anyway so I'm hoping that it really is a backorder and not a delayed item "out of stock" cancellation.

Damn it. I did not know these were up so I misssed out on Fantomax. I did get Bets/Nightcrawler, The Pirates Boat and the Time machine. Not bad. MY tru has been great lately with getting the sets in so hopefully I won't have to pay eBay prices for Fantomax and Mr Negative.

Man, I think I must live in the ideal market for people like DST. All the stores around here the exclusives peg warm and the heavy hitters fly off the shelves. It's weird.

So, has anyone mentioned how this wave does not have the new hips that we saw last wave?

Also, what if you modified Betsy's arms and turned them upside down. That might work.