UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU WAVE 12

buttheadsmate

-The Captain America's, though, I have kind of an issue with. The "Civil War" Cap is a nice, bright figure... but something I'd expect in a re-hash 4-pack as a primer for new minimate fans, like what was represented in the "Heroes" 4-pack from a few years back. The "Secret War" Cap is, to me, a lovely poke in the eye. It's a nice looking figure, but now it stands alone as a representation of a storyline that thus far no other characters have been made for. So that's one more "team" that will eventually need to be filled out. Considering that this "team" is almost entirely composed of characters we've already gotten multiple versions of (Daisy Johnson being the only "new" figure that could be made), it's a bummer. Because future slots in a series could be given to these characters while the much-touted Kang, Falcon, Black Knight, et. all continue to remain unmade.

Civil War Cap suffers from a bad name. From Zack's description, he sounds more like "Motorcycle Riding Cap", but since they can't make a motorcycle for him they can't call him that. But "Secret War Cap"... yeah, still not feeling it. If you absolutely had to make a Cap in black for that spot, the unused Captain design for CATtA would have been a better choice. (not as good a choice as Falcon or Winter Soldier, but lets not beat that carcass down to the hide)

I'd love the figure if we got a motorcycle. *sigh*

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "Secret War" Cap is, to me, a lovely poke in the eye. It's a nice looking figure, but now it stands alone as a representation of a storyline that thus far no other characters have been made for. So that's one more "team" that will eventually need to be filled out. Considering that this "team" is almost entirely composed of characters we've already gotten multiple versions of (Daisy Johnson being the only "new" figure that could be made), it's a bummer. Because future slots in a series could be given to these characters while the much-touted Kang, Falcon, Black Knight, et. all continue to remain unmade.

The impression I have is that the decision process is more like:

-"What Spider-Man should go in this allocated Spider-Man slot?"

-"How about Secret War Spider-Man?"

...rather than:

-"Should we have Secret War Spider-Man or Kang in this completely unspecified slot?"

But who knows. I'll also be less than enthused if we get all the Secret War costumes, they're a bit boring.

I think battlecat is on the money -- this wave was Cap- and Thor-heavy to get out the versions of the characters fans want as well as to capitalize on all the younger fans who are just now discovering Cap and Thor through the cartoon and the movies (which are now all on DVD). Looking for Caps to do, I think they found a badass recent costume (Secret War) and a classic, timeless, outfit (leather jacket). If a Secret War Spidey or whomever turns up later (none are planned as far as I know), it's because we needed a kick-ass Spidey or whomever. Not because we were avoiding the metaphorical Kang.

Also, that classic Cap could be '90s Avengers Cap, but Cap also wore a jacket in the movie, as well as in EMH:

http://fuckyeahcaptainamerica.tumblr.com/post/11117033371/leather-avengers-jacket-from-the-90s-and-ult-wwii

I'll look into head holes. I think it has something to do with what's in the tool, when we re-use parts. Head-top tampo might be pricey enough that it would cost out more weapons. So maybe he'd get a knife OR a gun, but not both?

I'd love the figure if we got a motorcycle. *sigh*

I keep hopeing that the MAX line will eventually have some motorcycles, which we can then modify into bikes for Cap and GR and anyone else who who needs one. And yeah, Zach, Chuck, and anybody else who might be "listening", that was a big lead hint.

I keep hopeing that the MAX line will eventually have some motorcycles, which we can then modify into bikes for Cap and GR and anyone else who who needs one. And yeah, Zach, Chuck, and anybody else who might be "listening", that was a big lead hint.

Oh, I get it. But we're still trying to get the APC to work. But maybe you can put flaming wheels on that and call it the Secret Defenders van.

Oh, I get it. But we're still trying to get the APC to work. But maybe you can put flaming wheels on that and call it the Secret Defenders van.

Work from a mechanical standpoint or a cost/projected sales one?

And I have to concur on the MAX motorcycles. Even setting the notion of customizing them into vehicles for specific Marvel characters aside, motorcycles would be a ton of fun for the MAX crew. I think you guys could sell the crap out of them.

@BHM: I'm surprised that you feel that way about Crossbones, since you're always flying the flag for more simplicity in Minimates and bemoaning how much all the detail and sculpted parts have distracted from the basic, clean Minimate. I would have thought you of all people would be loving basic 'Bones.

@Bob: Surely you can't be referring to the Spiffy Walt Simonson designed armor as one of those awful outfits. Surely!

I used to think that it was a MMMV statutory requirement that everybody's real name was Jeff maybe it should now be Bob .......or perhaps Bruce.

I really don't want to become known as Moaning Minnie,when minimates are criticised I am often the first man in the wagon-circle ....not this time ,sorry!

I chose hellpop's quote because of its irony which will be lost on everyone if I don't explain ...I've just completed a trade with hellpop & I hope he doesn't mind me saying that I'm sending him 'Carnage' as part of my side of a deal. Carnage is a Simplemate http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=11&n=Carnage yet he is painted on every single visible surface including the top of his unholy head......simple & possibly unnecessary but totally awesome. The Max firefighter I got in return has a painted helmet,jacket,boots,gloves,belt,axe,oxygen mask,oxygen tank,torch,suspenders,face & hair..... & much of the figure is painted in two colours which extend around the whole piece rather than just the front. Again.... awesome & if you haven't warmed to this line yet you eventually will. 'Simple'? No way,I love it for its detail but I wouldn't have missed the suspenders if the trade-off was a little patch of white on the top of Crossbones' head.....which would have been simple :thumbsup:

I made my point & I enjoyed the banter.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Actually my favorite non-cannon version of the X-Men, X-Men: Evolution, featured an X-Van that was APC-like and I was thinking of getting an APC for that. It's a little too big for a Great Lakes Avengers Quin-jetta.

@BHM: I'm surprised that you feel that way about Crossbones, since you're always flying the flag for more simplicity in Minimates and bemoaning how much all the detail and sculpted parts have distracted from the basic, clean Minimate. I would have thought you of all people would be loving basic 'Bones.

@Bob: Surely you can't be referring to the Spiffy Walt Simonson designed armor as one of those awful outfits. Surely!

I used to think that it was a MMMV statutory requirement that everybody's real name was Jeff maybe it should now be Bob .......or perhaps Bruce.

I really don't want to become known as Moaning Minnie,when minimates are criticised I am often the first man in the wagon-circle ....not this time ,sorry!

I chose hellpop's quote because of its irony which will be lost on everyone if I don't explain ...I've just completed a trade with hellpop & I hope he doesn't mind me saying that I'm sending him 'Carnage' as part of my side of a deal. Carnage is a Simplemate http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=11&n=Carnage yet he is painted on every single visible surface including the top of his unholy head......simple & possibly unnecessary but totally awesome. The Max firefighter I got in return has a painted helmet,jacket,boots,gloves,belt,axe,oxygen mask,oxygen tank,torch,suspenders,face & hair..... & much of the figure is painted in two colours which extend around the whole piece rather than just the front. Again.... awesome & if you haven't warmed to this line yet you eventually will. 'Simple'? No way,I love it for its detail but I wouldn't have missed the suspenders if the trade-off was a little patch of white on the top of Crossbones' head.....which would have been simple :thumbsup:

I made my point & I enjoyed the banter.

You... you shared the details or our trade? In public!? Unbelievable! This is a violation of trust the likes of which I've never seen! *storms off*

Nah, just kidding. S'cool.

My impression of your taste in Minimates has always been that you prefer the detail of a tampo to that of sculpted parts, so I would've thought that you'd like the Crossbones chest sans overlay. I understand the point you make about 'Bones head, though. Sorry if I've misconstrued your curmudgeoness. ;)

I'll look into head holes. I think it has something to do with what's in the tool, when we re-use parts. Head-top tampo might be pricey enough that it would cost out more weapons. So maybe he'd get a knife OR a gun, but not both?

Zach, just throwing out an idea here; is there any way that a flat "hairpiece" could be created as a head plug for use on bald or otherwise hairless Mates to cover up the head hole? It could be molded in the same color as the head and painted as needed. A little something like this:

minimateheadplug2.jpg

and thanks for taking the time to post here. i know others have said it already but it's very cool of you and greatly appreciated.

The hair plug is pretty cool. After ten years, I won't assume that the designers haven't already thought of this and dismissed it for some reason, but I'll pass it along, if that's all right.

The Max firefighter I got in return has a painted helmet,jacket,boots,gloves,belt,axe,oxygen mask,oxygen tank,torch,suspenders,face & hair..... & much of the figure is painted in two colours which extend around the whole piece rather than just the front. Again.... awesome & if you haven't warmed to this line yet you eventually will. 'Simple'? No way,I love it for its detail but I wouldn't have missed the suspenders if the trade-off was a little patch of white on the top of Crossbones' head.....which would have been simple :thumbsup:

I love the MAX figures as well, although I'm not sure what their suspenders have to do with the top of Crossbones' head. Rates must have changed between Carnage and today, because I do know that tampos are apparently super-expensive, and I'm pretty sure they charge per side, because I can't think of too many Minimates that have top-of-head printing. Sorry it's a sticking point for some people.

Head plug's an interesting idea, but it would have to be *really* thin and sit perfectly flat. And it seems like an overly complicated way to deal with baldimates when just not having a hole in the head has worked fine so far, except for when an occasional holey-headed Blade/Deadpool/Xavier makes it through to production unnoticed.

Asked for clarification on tampo printing and head holes.

Apparently, if a bald Minimate has a hole, it was either on purpose for hat placement, or a factory error. An example I was given was a tooling error on Cerebro required that Xavier have a head hole. But he was supposed to have no hole, and Cerebro was supposed to have no peg. But it's never done because it's easier or convenient.

And tampo printing HAS gone up since the Carnage days. You pay per strike, and Carnage required one strike on every single side of him. What's more, printing a lighter color on dark requires multiple strikes to ensure opacity. So Carnage's eyes, or the top of Cossbones' head, would require three strikes.

I have a question about printing:

When Kang is made, will his head be totally sculpted or will he have a purple slip-on mask to go over the blue face?

:teehee:

Oh wow I LOL'ed so hard I scared the cats.

But seriously make with Kang already ;)

I was really looking forward to the "First Appearance" Thor, but seeing that his cape has the shoulder pads attached is kind of a bummer for me. I dislike when the sculpted parts get in the way of the movement of the figure underneath. As in, Thor unable to raise his hands above his hand to use Mjolnir, y'know?

Mystery Man, did you see this shot I took?

Head plug's an interesting idea, but it would have to be *really* thin and sit perfectly flat. And it seems like an overly complicated way to deal with baldimates when just not having a hole in the head has worked fine so far, except for when an occasional holey-headed Blade/Deadpool/Xavier makes it through to production unnoticed.

In addition to the fact that the hole in the head should only happen when we want it to, the head plug is apparently not workable. The PVC can't be that thin, and the gap would be noticeable. So we'll just do our best to make sure the holes don't happen.