UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Sony Playstation Minimates

I'm still of the opinion that Dax could of been shorter, especially when you look at Clank... unless his height was something Sony mandated.

Unless I'm mistaken, DSTChuck has gone on record as saying that he liked all Minimates to be in the same size--irrespective of relative scale to the subject. Thus, Galactus, Ant-Man, Wolverine--all the same size. It might not have been Sony's call.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still of the opinion that Dax could of been shorter, especially when you look at Clank... unless his height was something Sony mandated. Hopefully some online vendor will scoop up some of these so non-US residents can purchase them.

I do find it curious that the Comic Shop Locator & Diamond Select Toys logos are on the back of the packaging. I've not seen those on the packaging on other exclusive Toys R Us minimates.

It's not just that Daxter could have been shorter, it's that he should have been shorter. It looks like he's taller than Jak. It looks to me like the back-of-pack art shows Ratchet wearing a Clank backpack. That'd be cool, especially if he also has his helicopter head thing. The Uncharted set is my favorite of the bunch, but I think it's weird that they chose to go with Chloe over Elena or Sully. I've never played Resistance, and that may be why that is my least favorite set of the bunch. I don't particularly like the soldier's big feet. Is that part of the game's style?

EDIT: I still call BS on DSTChuck's supposed dedication to 2 inch. They go bigger or smaller as they see fit.

Edited by Turtle

They could have a backpack version of Clank behind the sticker for Ratchet to wear. I do hope this line continues. I really want a Sly Cooper minimate now.

it is a mini version of clank, if you look on the back of the packaging you see him on ratchets back

EDIT: I still call BS on DSTChuck's supposed dedication to 2 inch. They go bigger or smaller as they see fit.

To some extent, yes (such as waist extenders, duck feet, etc.), but I do think he means it when he says that his general preference is to keep these a uniform size. Maybe it is an economic concern (i.e., less re-tooling, makes reusing accessory parts easier, etc.) as well as a personal taste, though.

I'd like to see more beyond the first wave of these, but I can see how this would be a tough line to get off the ground. Between Sony and whatever game companies that make the exclusive games, there'd be several layers of licensing.

Of course, beyond Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, and Jak & Daxter, what is there? Chuck said Killzone won't happen. Metal Gear went the Kubrick route. Little Big Planet might could work, but there's really only one character there.

I want them, and I have little interest in the characters or any exposure to them, but they look great. The uncharted pack will be a nice addition to my civviemates. The advanced Hybrid is sorta terrifying. The Rachet & Clank and Jak & Daxter make me smile, the little robot is awesome, and the weird orange thing.. well it speaks for itself.

And I think we'll be getting some cool accessories with this wave.

• 2 weeks later...

I woke up to find the Sony minimates listed as in-stock on the TRU web site here and here. It would only let me add one of each to my cart, and after I checked out they are showing up as sold out. Was anyone else able to order any before they sold out? I also got one Magneto/Mystique set and one Emma Frost/Havok set from X-Men First Class, and now they are sold out of those too. Did they only have one of each of these sets available??

Um, every morning I get up, use the restroom and then check the TRU site about 6:45. Well, only when there's new product expected to be shipping soon. Sadly, I do not kid about that. I've actually been late to work more than once because something was actually in stock.

When I saw the two X-Men sets, the two Sony sets and all 4 Halo sets there were only between two and four of each. I ordered one of each, but the X-Men ones are showing as backordered now, but the others are saying they'll ship.