UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Favorite Marvel-Mate

ImABarRoomHero

As my collection is growing rapidly I have been trying to decide who my favorite Marvel Mini-mate is, and I think I've decided on the Iron Patriot. The piece is nothing special so I'm pretty sure my decision is heavily based on my love of the Dark Avenger's run, but yeah. Iron Patriot, that's mine...what's yours?

That's actually a tough question for me, as Marvel mates are themselves a comprehensive timeline of how Minimates have evolved from stylized block/art figures into essentially 2" scale Marvel Legends/DCUC-style action figures. I'm not sure exactly when the turning point was, but I suspect it was around the first Iron Man movie wave*, when they started modifying the base body pieces (e.g. sculpted legs rather than stock legs with tampo details). In a lot of cases, even the sculpted add-ons are no longer just accessories, but are now structural components of the figures. Thus, it's as hard to pick a favorite Marvel Mate as it would be to pick a favorite Marvel action figure in general.

I'd say my favorite from the B22** era is still wave 1 Daredevil. I've always been a fan of the slip-on mask pieces so you can change out hero with alter ego. The billy clubs and belt add just enough unique detail without going parts-crazy. The tampos are simple, but get across the costume perfectly, without complication. In all, it exemplifies the stylized-but-playable block figure aesthetic Minimates originally represented.

My favorite from the A22 era is probably Hulkbuster Iron Man. If you're going to bulk up the Minimate body with a hojillion extra pieces, this is why you do it: it's armor. I'm still kind of iffy about adding the extra bulk of a sculpted piece for things like a baggy shirt or wristbands; I like sculpted pieces that add to the character, but a lot of times, these would make sense as tampos and not make the figure look... fat. But the HB armor makes the Minimate body look chunky and tough in a way that couldn't be achieved through any other method. Tampo'ing on the extremis armor on the base body gives this design an extra level of cleverness, as it literally makes it one figure within another.

A side note: It's interesting how the different favorites track in correspondence to how long collectors have been on the board. That is not at all to say anything about the "trueness" of fans; perhaps just a reflection of each collector's expectations of what a "great" Minimate is based on when the fire was first lit in his or her heart. :)

* Please correct me, Rob. :)

** Before Wave 22

I bet you thought I was going to say "Black Cat", didn't you?

Not after the Villians box set cat-astrophe!

HEY-ohh!

I want to say the original red and blue Spidey is my favorite. But there could be a case for the original Black Spidey. I have more than a few of them but can't bring myself to open the darn package. Black Spidey is the first minimate I ever bought, and the one minimate I probably will never play with... Big Time Spidey is a kind of surrogate but it doesn't feel the same as the older 'mates do.

Mine is Symbiote Bond Spiderman from the Secret Wars boxset.

Classic red & blue spidey and symbiotic spidey all mixed into one!

But I must also say that the awesome Marvel Zombies Black Panther is a very close second!

The dude's had his arm and lower leg cut off... serious battle damage.

Lobsterman's post is thought-provoking & the more I think about it the more I believe that that 'moment in time' was 'Gauntlet Tony & Stealth ' TRU Exc. Minimates suddenly looked different & despite my initial reservations I soon realised I had gone from hooked to f*cked ! Both the Stealth IM are beautiful Minimates although in any display (whether my own or elsewhere) the original just shines through . Magnificent! How can I choose when there are so many great 'mates?

Carnage.

I bet you thought I was going to say "Black Cat", didn't you?

I'm actually unsurprised. I think both blackCats we've gotten have been pretty average. I didn't care much for the first one because i was sick of that hair-piece by the time i got her & the 2nd ones QC issues made her less cool that she initially looked in the promotional images.

Carnage is near minimate perfection. One simple add-one (jands) to achieve the look of the character. Tampos all round. he's one of my faves too!

I don't know if i can pick one single favourite - but i have to say that (Death) Archangel is right up there. Those wings were just supurb when they were first shown. Still are!

One great accessory on a basic, painted minimate body. I think they really nailed the character while keeping the basic block figure design. And his costume is so vibrant. I think he's a really great toy.