UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Torment Spider-Man minimate

superjayd49

It was only available in this Box Set that was released in 2007.

Not sure how many box sets were made, but that set has been pretty rare for a few years now, and with the popularity of Minimates rising, I don't see it getting any easier to find.

Check the trade lists, someone here may have one for trade because a lot of people just wanted the Hydro-Man from that set.

Not sure if this is legit, so you may be taking your chances, but this auction is incorrectly identified as Amazing Fantasy Spider-Man (from Wave 19), but the picture is of Torment Spider-Man... :unsure:

It was only available in this Box Set that was released in 2007.

Not sure how many box sets were made, but that set has been pretty rare for a few years now, and with the popularity of Minimates rising, I don't see it getting any easier to find.

Check the trade lists, someone here may have one for trade because a lot of people just wanted the Hydro-Man from that set.

Not sure if this is legit, so you may be taking your chances, but this auction is incorrectly identified as Amazing Fantasy Spider-Man (from Wave 19), but the picture is of Torment Spider-Man... :unsure:

Thanks for the tips man. Really appreciate it

I got it. Got any 2003 blanks? ;)

5520933160_3b53cb721b_z.jpg

That's awesome you have it!

Unfortunately, I don't have any 2003 blanks. If I ever get my hands on one I'll tell you!

If you're after those you might like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MINIMATES-FLESH-TONE-B...b6#ht_886wt_907

It should have been a very common minimate had Target not cancelled their wave and stopped carrying minimates. And yeah, Torment Spidey doesn't show up that often. I've managed to get a few but it's the one regularly released minimate that I still want more of... Target cancelling that wave really screwed up the number of Torment Spideys I wanted.

See this post for that ill-fated Target wave:

http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/index.ph...ost&p=28825

i dont care what anyone says, i consider giant size x-men to be the rarest boxset. ive been collecting minimates for atleast 4 years now and have never even gotten one minimate from that set. anywho back on topic. i wish you had asked this a month ago since i would have literally given you my torment spidey for free but i painted over his chest <_< if you still want the head,arms,legs i can try and fish them out for you

As far as I know that box-set is the rarest Marvel box-set ever produced .

I am inclined to believe that it is perhaps the rarest Minimate box set of all . :yes:

What makes you think that, BHM? The numbers on the cases?

I know that they sold these in Suncoast, and I'm not sure if Previews distributed them or not (before my time). But if Suncoast was selling them, then, similar to some of the TRU releases like the Astonishing X-Men 4-pack, it could be an issue of fewer of these ending up in the hands of comic-shop-going collectors than few of these existing at all.

Edited by karamazov80

As far as I know that box-set is the rarest Marvel box-set ever produced .

I am inclined to believe that it is perhaps the rarest Minimate box set of all . :yes:

What makes you think that, BHM? The numbers on the cases?

I know that they sold these in Suncoast, and I'm not sure if Previews distributed them or not (before my time). But if Suncoast was selling them, then, similar to some of the TRU releases like the Astonishing X-Men 4-pack, it could be an issue of fewer of these ending up in the hands of comic-shop-going collectors than few of these existing at all.

I'd prefer input like yours Sam rather than taking what I say for granted ,I didn't know that these got sold at Suncoast so it may transpire that the case numbering for them might have been different . I base my comment on the case numbering ,the availability on ebay ,desirability in the Want thread & general chit chat here over the years . I do that with every Minimate I feature in the Guide that some of you use but I'll confess that this set has always been a special case & maybe the time has come to explain why,this set & many others at that time were dumped on the UK market where they just didn't sell until they were heavily discounted .

Producing a Minimate Price Guide to help people brings with it a responsibility to be scrupulously honest which I have been. I relay the prices as I see them but I am as careful as I can be to keep certain things quiet so as to not promote the ridiculous prices I sometimes see . I have always kept quiet about this set although I have always put the price at about $40 which for its rarity in numbers is way too low especially when you consider how many packs of Marvel Zombie Minimate packs were produced & what they sell for ! :rolleyes: In reality whatever price I put on it you'll hardly ever see it sell anywhere online anyway so I'm not misleading anybody but I refused to promote its inflation......... perhaps until now :blush: .

Honestly, I don't remember these being sold at Suncoast, but that's just based on the stock at the two stores I used to visit. I do know that I've had at least 10+ different Nightcrawlers of the years from various lots I've gotten, but I've only had 2 Hydromans. And the second one I had to buy because the arm socket on the first one I got broke in the package.

That Minimate is desirable due to it's uncanny ability to... rise above it all!!!

It was sold at Suncoast and FYE, which is where I got mine. At the time I bought the set, it had hit clearance and was only a few bucks. It was certainly not hard to find at the time, as I passed on it for months, and coulda/shoulda bought multiples after the price fell. And, if it did go to comic shops, rather then being resold by them on the secondary market, I'd certainly say it's not as rare as GS X-Men. Though I have to admit I can't remember the last time I've seen one.

Superjayd, if you and Jason can't work something out, let me know; I've got one that I'd part with.

I have to agree with Señor (or is that Senior? :blink: ) Buttheadsmate on this one.

GSX was distributed through Diamond, so any comics retailer could order it if they cared to do so. It was released in 2004, fairly early in the Minimate line (right after Series 3 if I recall), and a lot of retailers didn't order it because they weren't aware of Minimates and were not supporting the line. However, it did feature the Minimate debut of 3 new characters (Colossus/Nightcrawler/Thunderbird) and re-issues 3 popular characters (Wolverine/Cyclops/Storm) in their classic iconic costumes, so a lot of retailers probably ordered it just on that fact alone. I think that the only reason that GSX is so hard to find now is because of when it was released, so early into the life of the series.

The Spider-Man boxset was basically a re-paint/re-sculpt of 4 previously released characters, with 1 brand new character. It came out just after the fairly unpopular and under-ordered X3 Minimates and cancelled Ghost Rider wave and just before the glut of Spider-Man 3 Series 17 & 18. The popularity of Minimates was waning at this time, mostly due to the rise in Movie-based 'mates. This is also the reason behind the relatively strong demand of Wave 16, the Avengers wave that introduced Thor and other popular characters. I'm guessing the numbers ordered for that line are also relatively lower due to the demand for Minimates at that time.

Also, from my experience, it wasn't until Series 19/20 that a lot of the online retailers offered the option to pre-order a complete set including the variant. Up until that point, the most common way to get a variant was to pre-order a full case from a Diamond retailer or pay eBay mark-up, but again, that was my experience.

To the question of value, this Spidey set, despite its apparent rarity, isn't all that great. It has a horrible Venom, probably the worst Sandman figure out there, a lame BD Symbiote Spidey figure with bad QC, a pretty decent of Red and Blue Spidey (but a Spidey nonetheless--so just one of many available), and an OK version of what is essentially a forgettable, throw-away character. GSXMen had iconic looks for well loved characters.

Even before getting into Minimates, I probably would have bought that set had I seen it. Like Hellpop, I saw the Spidey set several times and never was interested enough to buy it.

To the question of value, this Spidey set, despite its apparent rarity, isn't all that great. It has a horrible Venom, probably the worst Sandman figure out there, a lame BD Symbiote Spidey figure with bad QC, a pretty decent of Red and Blue Spidey (but a Spidey nonetheless--so just one of many available), and an OK version of what is essentially a forgettable, throw-away character. GSXMen had iconic looks for well loved characters.

Even before getting into Minimates, I probably would have bought that set had I seen it. Like Hellpop, I saw the Spidey set several times and never was interested enough to buy it.

I don't own the set...but i always look at it and go "with a headswap that'd be a great Venom." What makes you hate him?

I'd love to have found this, and i think i saw it at my LCS before i became a serious minimates/comics guy (i don't really care for 616 Spidey) but passed it up. I kick myself for it, because Hydroman and Venom are, to me, fantastic. And Melee Symbiote is kinda cool...

Hate the McFarlane Spidey though...and most McFarlane art really...

Mostly the horrible head. It's good they gave Venom a Powerhouse, but back when he was one of two available Venoms, that figure looked dumb with either Venom head (I like the first release, but that head only really works with the body he came with).

I don't own the set...but i always look at it and go "with a headswap that'd be a great Venom." What makes you hate him?

I'd love to have found this, and i think i saw it at my LCS before i became a serious minimates/comics guy (i don't really care for 616 Spidey) but passed it up. I kick myself for it, because Hydroman and Venom are, to me, fantastic. And Melee Symbiote is kinda cool...

Hate the McFarlane Spidey though...and most McFarlane art really...

I did something similar. When this set was more readily avaiable - i was only up to collecting '1 rendition' of each character. I bought/traded for a Hydroman & never bothered chasing the rest of the set. I'm kinda kicking myself for it now that i've become something similar to a completionist.