UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

No Captain America is safe in my house

This was my first attempt at a easy custom. Not much but I like 'em. I poured a clear polyester casting resin (Hobby Lobby) in a plastic tray. Threw in the minmate and then added a catalyst. Wait to dry and then break it out. I started these before the suspended animation Captain America was out. When I got the suspended animation Cap I cast him and that's the one I like best. Now my Civil War Cap is frozen forever. :(

Front

5516193877_a1a89a83d2_b.jpg

I know I need to dust.

Back

5516219879_53085bed07_b.jpg

Edited by jason4444

Ooh... tough luck on your CW Cap. Still, those look pretty swank!

Maybe if you cut one open you could hollow out the mate, create a negative mold and recast them again, this time so that they open. Then you'll have an iceberg that won't hurt your mates.

Ooh... tough luck on your CW Cap. Still, those look pretty swank!

Maybe if you cut one open you could hollow out the mate, create a negative mold and recast them again, this time so that they open. Then you'll have an iceberg that won't hurt your mates.

Yeah, it sucks but in my eyes I still have him and no need to buy him again.

Wait..hollowing..negative mold...icebergs. Slow down. This is as good as I get. ;)

Good luck if you try to get any of them out. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I think I have the same stuff, and I tested it out by pouring a bit into a Minimate slipover mask, which I destroyed when removing the solid piece.

But, on a positive note, Civil War Cap also looks really good in the ice.

Good luck if you try to get any of them out. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I think I have the same stuff, and I tested it out by pouring a bit into a Minimate slipover mask, which I destroyed when removing the solid piece.

But, on a positive note, Civil War Cap also looks really good in the ice.

I know what you are saying. I knew what I was getting into. I like 'em the way they are. It's not like I play with my minimates in the bath tub...er....ah...wait...we never talked. :whistling:

I really like the look of these! Well done. Could you post a more close up pic of one of them? I'd like to see more details.

Hey Bob,

No problem.

I had someone tell me that I used too much catalyst that's why some look clear and some have moar bubbles/rough areas. I like 'em all. I was going for the frozen ice look so it's win win. ;)

The first mate I did was the white one. I wanted to see if it would work and how it looked.

5517455481_0e842feddf_b.jpg

5518047752_1646620999_b.jpg

I really like how the 3rd Cap turned out of in the pic above. The face area is very clear. This was the only one I cast different. I'm new to this and a lot of this was trial and error. The biggest and really only problem I had was at first I put the mate in and poured the resin and waited for it to dry. Well after a few minutes the figure would start to float up. So I was checking it about every 5 minutes and pushing the mate down until the resin started to harden. This was crazy important cos I didn't want the mate to harden with him half way out. One mate took me about an hour just checking on it. Anyway, on that last mate I did (3rd from the left). I poured half the resin in, dropped the mate in and waited for it to dry. Then I poured the other half of the resin in. Maybe this is common sense to most ppl but I didn't know. I just got lucky on the face area being clear. The last thing I did was very lightly sand down the mates. A few of them needed the edges trimmed with a hobby knife. All in all very simple and anyone can do it.

5517455129_a5fbe98d7b_b.jpg

5517454953_8d1af5742d_b.jpg

Oh yeah, I hot glued the shields on the back so they would stay in place. If anyone wants I can take a pic of the resin I used and the tools needed.

Edited by jason4444

nice idea, after reading about the problem you had with the 'mates floating i had an image of cap either being half frozen, like with one arm poking out

nice idea, after reading about the problem you had with the 'mates floating i had an image of cap either being half frozen, like with one arm poking out

Yeah! You are right.

I have been casting them face down so I get a true flat surface on the front. But I could easily cast them face up and position the arm out.