UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Help !!!

buttheadsmate

Please can anyone give me some help ? My computer has got a bloody virus or whatever & is infected with a rogue known as System Tool & it is driving me nuts . I'm no expert ...in fact my computer excellence is about 2 out of 10 so although any help would make me grateful I'd be obliged if you could make it simple .Will buying some software help.....any recommendations ?

Thanks guys. :(

Given that half this board's membership are probably professionals at some computer software-related issue or another, I'm probably only behind you in terms of computer savviness, BHM ;)

However, if you don't have a professional virus protection software like Norton's Anti-Virus, then you may consider Ad-Aware:

http://www.lavasoft.com/index.php

I used to use that one, which is free (for the basic version), and it helped cut-down on spyware and other virus-related problems significantly.

I use Kaspersky its been great for me and i also use the program Karamazov gave the link to.This sucks to here i hope you get the bugs out quick. :)

Rob,

I spend a majority of my time at work cleaning virus/spyware crap off of users machines. The following combination should work for you, and all are free apps to download.

Assuming you are running Windows XP.

From a website called bleepingcomputer.com, download "RKill.exe" and "combofix.exe". If you Google these, you will find the links to download them, just make sure you download them from bleepingcomputer.com.

Google a program called "Malwarebytes" and download the install.

Run Rkill, this will identify any known processes and shut them down.

Install Malwarebytes and in the program, go to the update tab and check for updates.

It will download updates for the system. Run a quick scan with MWB and remove anything it detects.

Reboot, then run a full scan with MWB, this may take an hour or more. Again, delete anything it finds.

At this point, see if your machine seems to be running ok.

If it appears to still be infected, run the Combofix.exe you downloaded. This program can make some serious system changes, so I only recommend running it as a last resort.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Download the RKill.exe again, but when saving it to the computer, rename it to something like "test.exe". Sometimes these virus/spyware software know what programs to block, but they only know the literal file names, and something as simple as renaming the file is all you need to do to get around their detection.

Renaming the file you already downloaded probably won't work, that's why I'm recommending downloading it again but changing the name of the file before it hits your hard drive.

The download page for RKill has multiple files available for download that are named different things, try using the second from the bottom.

If you can get one of the alternate RKill's to run, it should detect and shut down the processes that are preventing other things like MWB from running.

Edited by youbastards

You should boot into safe mode.. that is the easiesg way to run those utilitied without issues... malwarebytes will remove this... when its all cleaned up make sure you update java

to access safe mode hit f8 when you turn on your pc.... if your running vista or win 7 right click and select run as administrator on malwarebytes

Youbastards = Computer God :D

Please forgive the thread O'powersthatbe but I was desparate & I turned to the place I knew that would help,thankyou Sam,eclipse & Modefan as well.

Sooooooooo where does this shit come from ? Believe it or not I don't go to dodgy sites & never open anything that I oughtn't ,it's almost exclusively an ebay & MMMV computer.

I would happily use a shotgun on the people that deliver this crap <_<

Sometimes it is from the reputable sites. I got something from visiting Newsarama a while back and apparently it was from one their ad partners. I had to reformat my PC. :(

But I am happy you got your problems resolved junior-IT-headsmate. :P Just remember to update Malwarebytes regularly as it doesn't do it automatically for the free version.

Youbastards = Computer God :D

Please forgive the thread O'powersthatbe but I was desparate & I turned to the place I knew that would help,thankyou Sam,eclipse & Modefan as well.

No worries Rob, This sort of thread is totally the sort of thing the Minimate Arms section was made for.

Just glad you got it resolved,and good to see you guys helping one another out. :)

T.

My laptop ,by last night ,was considered so infected that I decided to invest in a new desktop which I ordered this afternoon which will be with me in a few days. Things had deteriorated so much with the current one that the damn thing almost seemed to bloody laughing at me :( A new PC has been on the cards for somewhile due to just wear & tear of my current laptop & this was the last straw...so I pounced. I still persevered trying to sort the problems I was having & it now transpires I had a second virus attacking it....this one's called 'blackhole exploit' & again involved going onto a helpful forum & downloading a 'killer' which now seems to have sorted it although I'm not holding my breath.

Bloody nightmare !

Edited by buttheadsmate

Unfortunately, once a computer has gotten a bad virus it's most likely shot. My wife and I invested in a Mac last year after one too many attacks (which I'm afraid might have been brought upon by my own dodgy internet habits :blush: ) and haven't looked back. Macs are much more resistant to these things.

I too have a new computer on the way. It wasn't purchased to replace anything though. I bought 2 of these, one for me and one for the wife. It should be here on Thursday. I am like a kid at Christmas waiting for this thing. I was thinking of getting an iPad but I thought that this had more to offer. I have an iPhone 4 and didn't need a giant one.