UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Heading to Los Angeles end of March

TheSpiderX

Hey guys,

Are there any members out there that live in LA or frequent it? Taking a trip up in March to see the inlaws. I'm planning to spend a full day running around looking for goodies, so if anyone has any hot spots that would be awesome. So far on my list I have :

Meltdown Comics

Hi-De Ho

Comic Relief

Anyone know of any TRU's that have a good minimate selection? Being from the northern land of zero minimates at TRU's I'm looking forward to spending some cash in the US of A.

Cheers,

TheSpiderX

Edited by TheSpiderX

I would suggest stopping off in Burbank for the TRU and one of the finest comic stores around: House of Secrets. The TRU gets pretty regular shipments and I always have good luck there. Also, it's right next to the Burger King that was seen in the beginning of Back To The Future. The more you know, right?

House of Secrets, meanwhile, has a pretty decent selection of comics and toys, but the biggest selling point is that they have a 15% discount on everything all the time. The guys there are super nice, knowledgeable, and just downright cool. I try to go there whenever I can.

Also, if you're in the mood for classic LA comic stops, you should check out Golden Apple in Hollywood(ish, it's LaBrea and Melrose, kittykorner to Pink's hot dogs) and/or Secret Headquarters in Silverlake (It's way more hipster and without toys, but it's still a neat store in a neat area).

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'll let you know if I think of anything else.

i love house of secrets but they charge way too much for minimates (atleast when ever im there) and the burbank toysrus doesnt have a great selection either, sadly the only toysrus in that area that i can think of thats good would either be the one in porter ranch or sherman way but thats in the valley not LA.

again i highly suggest dreamworld comics, they still have wave 31

i love house of secrets but they charge way too much for minimates (atleast when ever im there) and the burbank toysrus doesnt have a great selection either, sadly the only toysrus in that area that i can think of thats good would either be the one in porter ranch or sherman way but thats in the valley not LA.

again i highly suggest dreamworld comics, they still have wave 31

Really? Every time I go there, the mates are between 7 and 9 bucks a pack (excluding the variants, of course) and they always give that discount. It's a better deal than I get at most places where it's the same price minus the discount. Where are you normally getting your mates? And more importantly, how much are they?

As for the Burbank TRU, I find that of the stores I'll check it gets a wider and fresher selection more often. And it has a much better selection than, say the one on LaCienega and Pico, or the one in Atwater. Assuming, of course, that it's not as picked over as it is right now.

Three more things:

1- Where is Dreamworld Comics?

2- If you're looking for a lot of past sets, you might want to check out Legacy Comics in Glendale. I hate that store so much, but they have a pretty great selections of mates from boxsets to individual waves, including some as far back as X3.

3- Have you ever heard of AND/OR been to the Frank and Sons Collectible Show in Walnut, Robo? It's a free, twice-weekly, convention with tons of comics and toys, including good deals on minimates. You know, when you can find 'em. I got my Black Queen variant pack there for 6 bucks. Just FYI.

I second Frank and Sons collectible show, though it sounds like it'll be quite a drive for you. Very worth it if you love comics, toys, TCGs, and other collectible stuff. Think of it as all the small dealers at a convention but in a warehouse building.

http://www.frankandsonshow.net/

I go there every now and then for some hard to find stuff and variant comics. And sometimes pay a premium for it. But it is a fun place if you love the stuff and I have found some diamonds in the rough. MAX Galactus for $50, mint Iron Fist/Power Man $4. Minimates have always been quite scarce there, though, but they are there. I believe there's a dealer now across the street in a standalone building in the auxiliary parking lot who has a bunch of older sets.

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm going to have a lot of running around to do while I'm there.

We were in LA last April for a day. So I got to check out Secret Headquarters (which was featured on Storage Wars a few weeks ago) You are right, nice little store, but sadly lacking in Mates.

Keep the suggestions coming though. I'm prepared to do some driving to get the goods!