UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Knight Rider?!

Zach, can you comment if the General Lee would even be an option that DST would pursue, due to the controversial nature of the flag?

I cannot! Never discussed it. Only one Hazzard question in the Q&As I can see, and Chuck focused on the cost of the rights, and the limited product possibilities.

BUT when I suggested CHiPs once, he laughed and laughed. I think that's why he likes having me around. The laughter I provide. :biggrin:

See, now I'm really curious.

limited product possibilities? Knight Rider's pretty much done already! Dukes of Hazzard could easily have 2 variants of the General Lee - clean & dirty, plus tons of different character releases. Not to mention the different jeeps & cop cars. Knight Rider's likely more viable at retail in this market, but there are mathematically more possibilities with Dukes of Hazzard than there is with Knight Rider.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

See, now I'm really curious.

limited product possibilities? Knight Rider's pretty much done already! Dukes of Hazzard could easily have 2 variants of the General Lee - clean & dirty, plus tons of different character releases. Not to mention the different jeeps & cop cars. Knight Rider's likely more viable at retail in this market, but there are mathematically more possibilities with Dukes of Hazzard than there is with Knight Rider.

Knight Rider is nowhere near done. But I was just reiterating what I read. I guess Chuck saw Dukes to be much more limited, or much too expensive, or maybe he had the same concerns other toy companies have.

Knight Rider is nowhere near done. But I was just reiterating what I read. I guess Chuck saw Dukes to be much more limited, or much too expensive, or maybe he had the same concerns other toy companies have.

I kinda figured that was the case. Sorry to nitpick :biggrin:

It's funny, so many of these 80's properties that I would never touch, I suddenly WANT them as minimates! I would not buy Knight Rider as any other line - die cast, 3/34 inch, etc. But I've bought every one of the minimates so far. It's nice to know you'll continue Knight Rider. But I want that A-Team van like nobody's business! Plus, didn't Face have his own car as well? I would also be down for every Dukes of Hazard minimates you would make, as well as CHiPs! (Don't worry, not everyone laughed at you like DSTChuck! We got your back!), in addition to any other properties.

A Scooby Doo Mystery Inc van would be awesome too! As would all of the other numerous lines mentioned in this thread. I just love how the vehicle line is a great way to get potentially one-and-done properties out there!

A Scooby Doo Mystery Inc van would be awesome too! As would all of the other numerous lines mentioned in this thread. I just love how the vehicle line is a great way to get potentially one-and-done properties out there!

Except there's no such thing as one-and-done. We still need to get the license for the property, and that is usually for a couple of years.

We'll need to make a few different KITTs and KARRs to make the KITT tooling cost-effective, and we're also doing electronic vehicles and license plates to get our money's worth out of the license.

Magnum has never come up, because there's one car, and while flashy, it's not particularly distinctive; Dukes is distinctive, but I can see the reluctance to build a merchandise line around it. (And neither is internationally beloved like Knight Rider.)

Likenesses are another factor (are they included?), as well as each show's rights to license the car itself. Licensing from car companies can be pricey.

Someone should Ask DST about Scooby Doo, though! Could be a couple lines there. I'm not a fan myself, but I know the appeal. There've been some great toys already, though, and Minimates might not be able to capture the different character styles.

Except there's no such thing as one-and-done. We still need to get the license for the property, and that is usually for a couple of years.

We'll need to make a few different KITTs and KARRs to make the KITT tooling cost-effective, and we're also doing electronic vehicles and license plates to get our money's worth out of the license.

Magnum has never come up, because there's one car, and while flashy, it's not particularly distinctive; Dukes is distinctive, but I can see the reluctance to build a merchandise line around it. (And neither is internationally beloved like Knight Rider.)

Likenesses are another factor (are they included?), as well as each show's rights to license the car itself. Licensing from car companies can be pricey.

Someone should Ask DST about Scooby Doo, though! Could be a couple lines there. I'm not a fan myself, but I know the appeal. There've been some great toys already, though, and Minimates might not be able to capture the different character styles.

Interesting about the tooling costs. I had assumed (I know, I know) that getting 2 releases out of a vehicle would be sufficient (TRU & direct market versions) for most tooling costs. I was basing my assumption off the Munsters vehicle (that was announced for minimates, right?) which I figured didn't have many options on repaints. I also remember the Speed Racer cars that were two individual unique-tooled cars. So by one-and-done, I meant in one wave.

I try not to delve much into licensing costs because that's not something I'll ever know or that gets shared with the general public. I trust DST to amortize that cost however they can. I would hope that some properties would be more "reasonable" than others. I'd still love to see Dukes of Hazard mates but if it doesn't work out financially for DST in any way, I'll support your decision. The last thing I want is for DST to go out of business (as Palisades did, may they Rest In Peace :sad: )

Well... you could make a tractor trailer mold. It could double as the Knight Foundation mobile command, Goliath, and hey any other semi you wanted to use in the MAXX line. Cause, ya know, who doesn't need a semi, right?

And of course there has to be a "battle scarred" KITT and KARR. Just cause... well gotta milk the mold.

Well... you could make a tractor trailer mold. It could double as the Knight Foundation mobile command, Goliath, and hey any other semi you wanted to use in the MAXX line. Cause, ya know, who doesn't need a semi, right?

And of course there has to be a "battle scarred" KITT and KARR. Just cause... well gotta milk the mold.

Don't forget Battle-ravaged. And Web-armor.

In all seriousness, i wish my LCS had ordered these. Really wanted KARR.

(And neither is internationally beloved like Knight Rider.)

So you're going after internationally-beloved properties, then not selling them internationally... harsh. <_<

(just teasing, Zach...)

I think the minute we get any sort of sizable order from an international buyer, we will start on the expensive and rigorous testing that that country or union of countries requires. But the orders aren't there. Maybe KR will help. Massive German order in 5... 4... 3... 2...

KITT actually went undercover a LOT on the show, and I'm pushing for one of those. KARR had a couple of versions, as well, believe it or not.

People want Goliath and Juggernaut, but I think those are unlikely.

Where are you located, Two-Face? No ordering online for you?

KITT actually went undercover a LOT on the show, and I'm pushing for one of those. KARR had a couple of versions, as well, believe it or not.

Where are you located, Two-Face? No ordering online for you?

Jersey, just have to watch my online spending haha (currently reserved for a metric ton of Hot Toys, kill me now). Been buying Minimates from this LCS since i was like 12 or 13 many moons ago, so i naturally have a preference to want to give my LCS guy the business for them, too.

Rest assured, i'll have KARR one day.

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

>SIGH<

Well there was KARR's first appearance, when the only difference was the liscence plate. But hey, Tony and the Rev minimates!

I ordered mine from Action Figure Xpress and am still waiting for SPM KITT to get in stock for them to ship. I can't wait I hope it is soon.

As for variants I wouldn't mind seeing:

Convertable KITT

All black KARR

Primered KITT ( from when he was rebuilt after the toxic waste bath)

Slamming Sammie's stunt show KITT

Jersey, just have to watch my online spending haha (currently reserved for a metric ton of Hot Toys, kill me now). Been buying Minimates from this LCS since i was like 12 or 13 many moons ago, so i naturally have a preference to want to give my LCS guy the business for them, too.

Rest assured, i'll have KARR one day.

If you can afford to buy Hot Toys online, but not Minimates, I have no sympathy. Well, less. But yes, support your local comic shops, everyone.

I'd like to see a Custom KITT, with the flames, but I think there's a lot of modifications to do to get the look right.

Can somebody help me with this question...

What makes SPM Kitt and normal Kitt different?

Looks to me that the front sticks out a little, is there any other difference and does the front "stick out" section move?

The spoiler is raised. The back bumper sticks down. There are air intake vents along the sides of the door. The thingy on the hood (not sure what it's called) is raised. And there are 2 small rockets(?) sticking out on either side of the front bumper.

And no, the front "stick out" section does not move.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

Can somebody help me with this question...

What makes SPM Kitt and normal Kitt different?

Looks to me that the front sticks out a little, is there any other difference and does the front "stick out" section move?

It's easier to see the differences in the prototype pictures:

kitt_minimates.jpg

spm_kitt1.jpg

If you're not too picky, it could easily function as the basic KITT, at least until the TRU version comes out. And I don't think those are rockets in the front, but airfoils or mini-spoilers or something involving the airflow around the car.