UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

X-Men First Class moviemates

groundhog7s

I like these better than the Captain America 'mates, because at least there's a new character present here in Azazel, which if nothing else is more interesting than Dum Dum Dugan. But I think these movie waves are really starting to show the issues with them, aside from the Thor 'mates all these movie waves are slightly tweaked versions of characters we already have, and I can't help but think the comic versions of some of the related characters would be a better choice, as they would appeal to comic fans and casual buyers more than a series of mutants all wearing the same uniform or five different versions of Captain America.

Perhaps we should skip direct movie 'mates for licenses that don't have the depth of character or variety that Thor has, and instead release a comic wave that features the characters. I know if there was a Captain America comic wave with Winter Soldier, Punisher-Cap, Falcon and Crossbones I'd be really excited, but I feel little to no excitement for the Cap movie 'mates.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With DC and BSG done, Marvel is my main and pretty much only line I'm collecting. I'll get these to complete the "movie" universe. they are basic but maybe they'll add better pieces closer to release. Are these TRU only(since there are eight)? Or could there be more added(hellfire goons as army builders)

I really like Emma Frost, Mystique, and Shaw. Mystique's head is especially well done. I think Emma Frost and Sebastian Shaw are nice representations of how their characters would look in a movieverse. I understand the necessity for Magneto and Xavier, and I assume Beast and Havok are the main X-Men. Azazel is a little surprising, but I don't mind him.

I really hope for a Banshee and Moira McTaggert 2-Pack (preferably with her in a lab coat).

HOLY SHIT ITS DEADLY GENESIS!!! right?! right?! please someone tell me im right

edit: my facts;

ok so ya this is unlikley but if you think about the line up....

beast (the only actual original x-men on the team, he may take cyclops role in returning from kroaka)

havok (basically same powers as vulcan but well known...also a summers)

darwin (why else would he be here?!)

angel salvadore (people want her dead)

moiria mactaggart (she had a big part in DG right?)

banshee (havok will kill him like vulcan did)

azazel and mystique (since this is leading up to next genesis...well you know.. ;) )

magneto (hes the main villain gotta have him even if the story is screwed up)

emma still doesnt make sense to me unless charles goes to her looking for mutants (the scene with angel 'preforming' for erik and charles could be an 'audition' ) and the scenes we have seen could still lead up to this (plenty of footage from the blackbird over water and island footage) so just think about it

Edited by robomate

HOLY SHIT ITS DEADLY GENESIS!!! right?! right?! please someone tell me im right

edit: my facts;

ok so ya this is unlikley but if you think about the line up....

beast (the only actual original x-men on the team, he may take cyclops role in returning from kroaka)

havok (basically same powers as vulcan but well known...also a summers)

darwin (why else would he be here?!)

angel salvadore (people want her dead)

moiria mactaggart (she had a big part in DG right?)

banshee (havok will kill him like vulcan did)

azazel and mystique (since this is leading up to next genesis...well you know.. ;) )

magneto (hes the main villain gotta have him even if the story is screwed up)

emma still doesnt make sense to me unless charles goes to her looking for mutants (the scene with angel 'preforming' for erik and charles could be an 'audition' ) and the scenes we have seen could still lead up to this (plenty of footage from the blackbird over water and island footage) so just think about it

If it helps, the original Deadly Genesis comic had a scene where Xavier tried to recruit Emma Frost for the Krakoa rescue, which somehow got amnesia'd out of her by the time the truth came out.

This is an interesting but still somewhat questionable theory. On the one hand this could provide an explanation for why Jean and Scott aren't in this movie despite being established as Xavier's first students in X-trilogy canon. On the other hand I'm not too sold on making Havok a bad guy, especially if he's supposed to stand in for Vulcan. Deadly Genesis might actually make for a good X-Men movieverse story, but not like... this.

Just reading the wikipedia entry on that storyline, I can say that no sir, I'm not a fan of it. I'm sure that it is a very good read considering Brubaker is behind it, but damn. That kind of ret-con that doesn't belong in the 616-verse, IMO. Stick in into an issue of "What If?" if you must. Seems like Marvel is doing more and more of this crap nowadays.

Edited by karamazov80

this made the news on superherohype.... I can never remember minimates making the news over there. Some of the comments are funny as it seems (strange as it may sound!) that some people in the world have never seen or heard of minimates

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles...imates-revealed

Edited by winkerbean

Yep, haters gonna hate. Their loss B) (not about this particular series of figures--which are not great--but about Minimates in general of course)

I've seen similar comments on Kubrick forums to the LEGO comments.

Edited by karamazov80

If you lined up every Marvel Minimate ever made up with their heads removed I would still be able to tell you immediately who that character is & I expect most everybody here could do the same. Do the same with DC & I'd be able to do about 95% but with Star Trek I'd be struggling . Do the same exercise with a non-Minimate fan with a reasonable knowledge of Marvel & DC & I still reckon they'd be able to name the majority of characters that the Minimates are depicting whilst a Trekkie would not have a clue who the majority of headless Trek-mates were!

To be honest I didn't have a clue who most of these characters were even with their heads on & if you took their heads off,I'd know which was the.....er....Beast. <_< Early Trek-mates & much of BSG was the same ol' same ol' & they died because of it......these won't even get produced unless there is something that we're not being shown.....alternative parts perhaps to show off their powers ? That must be it mustn't it? :(

To be honest I didn't have a clue who most of these characters were even with their heads on & if you took their heads off,I'd know which was the.....er....Beast. <_<

Well, the easy answer is that they are all Mystique in disguise. :P

I hope these only show up at TRU with one wave and done. But heck, I could live without the Wolverine Origins and these mates perfectly fine. Unless the movie is Dark Knight level quality, comic shops won't be ordering these heavily. DST probably did the best with what they got since the characters in the movie don't look as superheroic and distinctive as the X3 mates.

Maybe mates in action would help sell these, like translucent Phoenix or the movie Peter Parker being bonded with the Venom symbiote.

http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php...tion+Spider-Man

So if no one buys them, it'll be because they can't find them?

No, these will be fully stocked and restocked because it's attached to an already known movie property and TRU will blindly order too many because, well, who denies this will be a box office hit? Hit movies sells lots of merchandise, right? Heck, doesn't TRU still have Prince of Persia and Terminator movie toys?

So if no one buys them, it'll be because they can't find them?

No, these will be fully stocked and restocked because it's attached to an already known movie property and TRU will blindly order too many because, well, who denies this will be a box office hit? Hit movies sells lots of merchandise, right? Heck, doesn't TRU still have Prince of Persia and Terminator movie toys?

My TRU, at least, still has a ton of Terminator: Salvation figures, and that movie came out in, what, 2008 or 2009?

im actually happy to hear that these are gonna be from TRU because as alot of you have said, they will keep them instock for most likley a year or two, meaning if i ever need extras (which i will) i can pick em up whenever i please :P

this made the news on superherohype.... I can never remember minimates making the news over there. Some of the comments are funny as it seems (strange as it may sound!) that some people in the world have never seen or heard of minimates

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles...imates-revealed

Wow, felt like it's been ages since I read Minimate hate mail. Sigh.

I asked DST (on FB) about a timeline when we can expect to see these in store. Here's what they answeared:

"We hope to have the Minimates in stores around movie time and what you see is all we are planning." DST

Edited by MINI_MYTE

I'm still guessing that DST must release figures from all the Marvel movies as part of their licensing agreement. However, I'm also sure they know these aren't great sellers and would want to minimize their output to the extent possible. Best if they can just get the basic cast out there and be done with it.

I'm still guessing that DST must release figures from all the Marvel movies as part of their licensing agreement. However, I'm also sure they know these aren't great sellers and would want to minimize their output to the extent possible. Best if they can just get the basic cast out there and be done with it.

I don't know if it's a good thing from your point of view K80 but we do think alike far too often for my liking ;) It seems that these were designed by accountants rather than designers <_<

I don't necessarily see this as a licensing thing that DST must do, but rather an opportunity for DST to make some money and help fund other DST related projects. I can't blame them for wanting to make money, but I can blame them if the factory rushes this and quality turns poor, which I do think might happen...