UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Toyfair 2011

TBT!

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there go my gripes about Captain America. Bravo, DST. Bravo. I guess one of those three Captains goes with the set with Peggy, Howard, and the Soldier?? Either way, FANTASTIC Boxed set; Peggy is one of the most attractive female mate's i've seen, Howard is an "oh my God they're making him??? REALLY?!?!" type of shock that makes me love DST, and the extra detail these pics reveal for the others is great. DST wins this Toy Fair.

And Calico...that might be one of the best toylines i have ever seen of any company. Those are gonna be great; they look amazing.

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

I'm a little dissapointed that the x-men first class minimates are comic related and not movie & if we are getting movie ones why are they not on show

Yeah - although, i'd have been happy with a comic-book wave of movie characters. Banshee, Modern Havok, Sebastian Shaw, AXM White Queen etc . . .

Those Pirates look fantastic! Not sure that Indymates Pt. 2 is going to sell, and I won't buy, but power to them.

Those Sony Videogame guys don't do much for me, either. But the Cap-Mates with "Pinhead" Skull are gonna be great, assuming no major QC blunders.

Very impressive sculpting work. Some beautiful looking 'mates. Character selection is still gnawing at me, though; out of all these, I still haven't seen one that I have to have. Obviously everybody's tastes are different, but I'm totally perplexed that DST would try Indie Mates again using the same strategy that worked so poorly before.

See the thing I'm not nuts about with the Captain America mates is... beyond Cap, Red Skull & Maybe Buckey... they all look far too generic for my taste...

I'm seeing lots of... generic soldier, generic military, generic girl, generic guy in a suit.

I realize they're characters like Dum Dum and Howard Stark... but I feel like they just don't translate well to minimates.

With the Thor Minimates, or X-Men minimates, or most of the Iron Man minimates... at least they all look like characters. Ya'know what I mean?

Half the cap minimates look like they could be in the MAX line and no one would ever know the difference.

I'll buy them all anyway, because I'm a Marvel completionist... just saying... *Shrug*

I think it was Timbo that hit it on the head when he said that if they hadn't hyped up the 'huge' word then we would all be ecstatic with what we've seen. I can't honestly say that I love everything but the usual disclaimers with my opinion apply.

BTW I would imagine that most of Calico Jack's victims were probably just overcome with laughter when they saw his shit ship, 'The Goode Shippe Ladle'? , 'SS Banjo'? , 'HMS Plantpot' ? ........

.................I do however like the pirate characters & is that Dana Scully's dog * I spy ?

*A prize to the first person who knows WTF I'm on about :D .............. no googling :nono:

I'm digging the Cap mates! I really like how all inclusive the movie mates are getting as it really feels like no one is off the table.

Sony stuff looks good but I'll probably only get the Uncharted ones for civilian fodder.

MAX Van looks awesome! I wish they showed some new packs but if they just wanted to reissue the old ones I'd have no problem with it.

That's interesting news about the next TRU wave. I guess Mr. Negative is from a wave we haven't seen yet?

Calico Jack stuff looks amazing but availability is going to make or break them for me. If they're in TRU for 2/10 of a second the way the MAX packs were I'm not going to go out of my way to get them. Marvel and MAX already drive me up the wall as is. The idea of making my own line of Monkey Island minimates is tempting but I can't let it drive me totally crazy.

Femme Fatales look fine but I don't have a huge interest in them. I'm hoping this doesn't mean that the theory about Medusa from the Inhumans being in the cards is untrue though.

1st and most importantly... after seeing Zero as a minimate, I am once again PISSSSSSSED at Capcom for using him in MvC3 instead of Mega Man. The day they finally made a Mega Man minimate should have been a happy one for me. Instead it just flamed the hate fire I already had going after Mega Man got snubbed from the game in the first place. I've never been a fan of the X series (or any of the Mega Man offshoots really) but I LOVE the original series. That said... I realize Zero has his fans, so I can see why he'd be in the game. But NOT at the expense of MEGA MAN HIMSELF! It just sucks. So great... 1st Mega Man minimate ever and it's one from an offshoot series, that's not even Mega Man. This blows. (GrrrGrumbleRantRageFireBrimstoneDon'tTryToConvinceMeHowAwesomeZeroIsHeWillNeverBeBetterThanMegaManHateThatDamned

Usurper)

I completly agree, but add in the fact that characters like Dudley, Talbon, Stider, Captain Commando, Sanosuke, Jedah, Yun and Yang weren't considered for/officially added to the "they won't be appearing" list, and consist of some of my favourite SF/DS/Capcom characters and it's salt in the wound for me as well. At least we're getting C.Viper and (hopefully) Hagger to fight against my previous SF mates and the awesomness that is Arthur and Viewtiful Joe.

I'm guessing that Nightcrawler will be packed with Betsyto complement the Excalibur set, so I wonder if this Nightcrawler differs in any way feom the one in the boxset? I find it strange that they would pack an exclusive with a non-exclusive...

It's been done before with old man Logan and old man Hawkeye.

.................I do however like the pirate characters & is that Dana Scully's dog * I spy ?

*A prize to the first person who knows WTF I'm on about :D .............. no googling :nono:

It totally looks like Queequeg from Moby Dick (The name of Scully's dog from the X-files).When I saw that mate, it made me think of the charitymate I made for the literary characters. What do I win BHM? ;)

I think mein freund got there first Myte, albeit cryptically ,but in the circumstances you can share with him ;)

That is Queequeg all day long isn't it?

You're also right about the exclusive Logan which was exclusively missing the coat that he has in the WTTA box set :D

You had best point me towards your wants list.

so uh....did no one see this? this is the SWAT van from last years toyfair, looks like its still happening

edit: interior

The van look sweet!But if that's wave 3 max,then what's the max for wave 2?We already know their is the bttf 2 delorean with doc,and wave 3 I am guessing is the one with knight rider.

I like these Pirate 'mates. While the Femmes Fatales are interesting, I find them largely passable, except for possibly Ann Bonnie (to go with those pirates) and Medusa.

I love the Cap 'mates. Even if the movies suck, Thor and Cap are giving us some nice product. Now I'm very curious to see what the army builder case Red Skull looks like. So, guesses on the pair ups? Army Cap/Red Skull, Bucky/Cap, Peggy(Stark Variant)/Hydra soldier and then a Howling Commandos 4 set? Regardless, I can't wait.

And that Goblin/Spidey set is still glorious to behold. I plan on getting two. One for home and one for my office desk.

It totally looks like Queequeg from Moby Dick (The name of Scully's dog from the X-files).When I saw that mate, it made me think of the charitymate I made for the literary characters. What do I win BHM? ;)

In the news over the weekend was the story that The Two Brothers, an old whaleship, was found near Hawaii. Her captain was George Pollard, former captain of the Essex, which was destroyed by an angry whale and provided the inspiration for Moby Dick. Apparently Pollard, though, was the opposite of Ahab.