UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 minimates

sinnsyk

I'm starting to wonder if there's more to this story, like TRU cut their order at the last minute and DST is having to dump the extra inventory on LCSs. It's beginning to sound a little more widespread than a mixup with a few cases. Hmm...

Yes, but this is also the same company that gave us "Angel-Gate". Specatular screw-ups are what they do best :)

I think it's more likely a palette of TRU boxes got mixed with the Direct Market boxes and got shipped, especially since the boxes look alike (as Luke pointed out). The more interesting questions are if TRU is getting Direct Market exclusives, and if so ,what are they going to do with them?

Actually, what we do best is make great toys, but the spectacular screw-ups are what people seem to focus on. :(

And yes, it apparently is more widespread, but it is not because TRU cut their order. One retailer has told me that he has received his TRU sets in a specialty box, so it looks like it was a packing error at the factory. Still not sure how widespread it is, and whether it was a production error or simply a packing error, but I would hope that the number of each type of figure is still the same. We'll see if TRU gets specialty sets, and what they choose to do with them. Luckily, we usually make extra specialty sets to keep in inventory, so hopefully they will not be too hard to get.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Zach. Aside from "Angel-gate" and the Spider-Man Friends and Foes set, I'm struggling to think of how DST has orchestrated ANY spectacular screw-ups. Try collecting a Mattel line, then you can talk spectacular screw-ups, and I think it's insulting to throw DST under the bus like that. They're going on 10 years of 'mates, and if there are only two instances you can think of that aren't eye of the beholder complaints, you're doing pretty well. Reexamine your priorities a little perhaps if this is what constitutes a spectacular screw up to you. A couple people got the TRU exclusives a little easier? Isn't that what some of you have been complaining about since TRU started getting exclusives? If you want the LCS wave I can link you to a set on eBay right now, so no one's hurting you. Take a deep breath and calm down.

Actually, what we do best is make great toys, but the spectacular screw-ups are what people seem to focus on. :(

I mean it only with love, Zach. Your successes have outweighed your mistakes in my eyes.

I don't know how to respond to either of those statements.

I mean it only with love, Zach. Your successes have outweighed your mistakes in my eyes.

I don't know how to respond to either of those statements.

I just meant you're doing a good job, Zach, and I do not mean to imply otherwise. Diamond is still a great company, and I am still a great big fan of Minimates.

And now I am going to shut up.

Boyd, when I saw your comment, I said to myself "is he trying to bait Zach? That doesn't sound like Boyd". :biggrin:

And Zach, don't you think it's just a little defensive to suggest that we only focus on the screwups here? What, just because we didn't like X-Force Wolverine's beak? I think the vast majority of the sentiment here, and in particular since Toy Fare, are very positive. I mean, compare this board to, say, what they say about Mattel over at AFI; we're a love fest in comparison.

I don't think anyone blames you for this, or the Angel fiasco (though I do think some blame should go Chuck's way for saying that he was going to address the problem, but as yet nothing's happened (and I've got an SA Angel, so I'm not complaining, mind you)). They're just... things that happen in the course of doing business. You guys have a great track record; don't go gettin' all Geoff Beckett on us here. :biggrin:

I am really surprised by how much i like Jill. I found her to be a bit bland seeming in the game itself, but her minimate is fast becoming one of my favourites from this series!

I don't know what it is - but minimating here seems to be exactly what she needed.

Zach - any plans to develope MMVC3 (Minimate Marvel vs Capcom 3)? It'd be the same game essentially, but with minimate versions of the characters fighting each other!

:biggrin:

(i jest . . . mostly.)

EDIT: (about creating MMVC3, not about Jill. I'm serious about how awesome Jill is. Ah to hell with it. I'm serious about both! Make this happen Capcom!!!!)

Edited by Nessex

Boyd, when I saw your comment, I said to myself "is he trying to bait Zach? That doesn't sound like Boyd". :biggrin:

And Zach, don't you think it's just a little defensive to suggest that we only focus on the screwups here? What, just because we didn't like X-Force Wolverine's beak? I think the vast majority of the sentiment here, and in particular since Toy Fare, are very positive. I mean, compare this board to, say, what they say about Mattel over at AFI; we're a love fest in comparison.

I don't think anyone blames you for this, or the Angel fiasco (though I do think some blame should go Chuck's way for saying that he was going to address the problem, but as yet nothing's happened (and I've got an SA Angel, so I'm not complaining, mind you)). They're just... things that happen in the course of doing business. You guys have a great track record; don't go gettin' all Geoff Beckett on us here. :biggrin:

I said "people," meaning... "people." Not Multiverse people specifically. No, this place is at least 50% positive about what we do. :biggrin: But for the most part, 90% of the Internet seems to be complaints, and that applies to our work, as well. And Boyd's unexpected statement (Et tu, Boyd?) may have been a joke, but it made us sound like that's all we do. Screw up.

I will admit I was hurt, but only because I have come to strongly identify myself with DST. I did not think anyone was blaming me specifically, but they were blaming DST specifically, without knowing the facts. (Our factory screwed up -- we certainly did not tell them to put TRU exclusives in boxes going to comic shops.) I am, to be honest, not fully versed in the Angel fiasco, but I would like to know what happened, and will search the forums later. Having seen the pictures of the Spidey Friends and Foes figures, I understand that issue, but I would be very curious to see what our early samples from the factories looked like. I'm sure Chuck has addressed that one elsewhere, but I doubt they looked like that.

I am, to be honest, not fully versed in the Angel fiasco, but I would like to know what happened, and will search the forums later.

When Series 31 was solicited, it was shown that the "Silver Age Angel" would be the regular figure while the regular blue-and-white "Angel" would be the variant.

When the figures came out, the packaging still said that the blue-and-white costume was the variant, but the "Silver Age" costume was the actual shortpacked figure. Lots of people wanted the "Silver Age" one since that same year the SDCC First Appearance X-Men set had come out and this was the figure that'd go with it. Instead, some people weren't able to find the "Silver Age" one like it was advertised that they would and they missed out on getting one. Or if they did get one, they had to pay through the nose.

At some point, Chuck said he was going to address the problem... but that hasn't happened yet.

Database pics for ya:

http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=872&n=Silver+Age+Angel

http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=870&n=Angel

Edited by Mystery Man

And then to follow up that situation, X-Factor Angel was a 1 per case TRU exclusive.

I thought it was a normal shortpack, just that the distribution wasn't great. I don't recall any discussions on it being a 1 pack per case.

This might normally be seen as just a spelling nitpick, but with Zach here, I think it's important to watch this one.

Toy Fair is the show in February where new toys are unveiled.

Toyfare is the magazine of which Mr. Oat used to be editor.

I've seen this happen a lot, and it often confused me (it was probably my favorite magazine). I can only imagine how it might make the guy who ran it go "wait, what?"

This might normally be seen as just a spelling nitpick, but with Zach here, I think it's important to watch this one.

Toy Fair is the show in February where new toys are unveiled.

Toyfare is the magazine of which Mr. Oat used to be editor.

I've seen this happen a lot, and it often confused me (it was probably my favorite magazine). I can only imagine how it might make the guy who ran it go "wait, what?"

You know what? I always get the two confused, so I don't mind the clarification. :thumbsup:

About the Angel: if I remember, when that wave was solicited, the blue/white Angel was the reg, and the SA Angel was the variant. Many people pointed out that Angel was needed to complete the SA X-Men released in a separate box set; Chuck heard the voices and switched the two Angels (to much rejoicing). Unfortunately, the factory didn't hear the voices, and they produced the Angels in the original ratio (even though the package for the blue/white Angel had "variant" stamped on the side). Chuck said he was going to try and figure out a way to get more SA Angels to the market, but so far nothing's happened. So, while DST is totally blameless for the original problem (much like in the current MvC situation), the fact that there still are a lot of people waiting to complete their set of original X-Men has to at least partially fall on Chuck's shoulders. IMHO.

I will admit I was hurt, but only because I have come to strongly identify myself with DST. I did not think anyone was blaming me specifically, but they were blaming DST specifically, without knowing the facts. (Our factory screwed up -- we certainly did not tell them to put TRU exclusives in boxes going to comic shops.)

So, while DST is totally blameless for the original problem (much like in the current MvC situation), the fact that there still are a lot of people waiting to complete their set of original X-Men has to at least partially fall on Chuck's shoulders. IMHO.

Obviously DST can't control factory screw-ups, and wouldn't do anything wrong intentionally, they're great guys. And thankfully real problems in the line are very few and far between. Having said that, any company is ultimately responsible for the product they release. And Zach, you shouldn't ever take anything personal out of us discussing it on our discussion board, since one of its roles is as a place for us to vent about problems, real or just preference-based, big or tiny -- I think as a group we're way more than 50% positive about Minimates in general, though sure, there may be more total posts about problems or things we don't have yet, since those subjects just lend themselves more to ongoing discussion.

I've got more SA Angels than I've got Captain Britains with ears.

My sympathies lie with AFX who produced the X-Factor box set sans Angel...... & the X-Men FA box set sans Angel . Both those box sets were left hovering unsold for quite some while purely because a lot of people couldn't get hold of either Angel to complete the teams. Rocket science it ain't.

I recall somebody saying that the smart idea to make one a short pack TRU exclusive & the other a LCS variant (in every way except name)was a marketing masterstroke :no: ....his name escapes me .

I feel like when you have to deal with 'fans' like this on occasion, you probably tend to expect the negative comments after awhile. And if it was me, I'd take it personally also.

And just to add to what's been said, there have been more than just a couple issues brought up with Minimates over the years. In fact, it seems that about every wave someone has some kind of issues with something that's released or how it's released and usually there's a fair amount of heated discussion about it. The only thing that's different now is that we have a representative of DST here. Not that that should change too much, but hopefully that puts a little bit of the complaints into perspective that real people have jobs that make these. It's not just a hobby to them, it's their career. And if we're all honest, we've all screwed something up at our jobs, we just usually don't tick off a huge group of fanboys when we do. Maybe having Zach here will remind us to use our manners like we should do anyways.

Sorry for the soapbox; I really shouldn't post here when I'm mad about something else.

Edited by groundhog7s

I think what made Angel-gate sting, and why it sticks in memory so well, was that Chuck made several very nice, very apologetic posts and statements in which he said he would try to do what he could to address the situation. Now the the key phrases are, and always were, "try" and "what he could". Given the nature of the problem, I don't think most of us here expected there was going to be any actual action on it unless Chuck could get a retail partner on board to offer them as an exclusive or something. But I think we expected a "sorry guys, I tried." back from Chuck What we got was Chuck getting kinda defensive when asked, and then it was never mentioned again.

Now in Chuck's defense, while we were, IMO, trying not to be obnoxious about asking how a solution was coming (IIRC he got asked once per chat for the next two chats) I cannot speak for the rest of fandom and for all I know his inbox and Ask DST box were slam full of angry inquiries on the subject. So when we asked in that second chat he was just tired of hearing it. Now, like a bunch of angry girlfriends, it only gets dredged back up whenever something else goes sideways, like the Friends and Foes, or the current TRU case situation. (before our female MMMVers take offense, it's well established women are more likely than men to bring up old fights in the middle of a new one, maybe not you personally but it does happen)

And while we're on the subject, Chuck swore up and down that there were no problems with his factory samples and he was genuinely surprised at how Friends and Foes turned out for the rest of us. To the point he did not believe us at first when we reported it. (again, we happened to have a chat just as these were hitting en masse) And he was again very apologetic.

Which bring us to now.

Really, as Valo said, when compared with other lines and other comapnies three actual mistakes is nothing. Well... okay four, the infamous back-boobs, but even then that's a drop in the proverbial bucket. I think they surpirse and shock us each time because for the most part things go so darn near perfectly for DST on the production side. It's like watching a kid make A+'s routinely, then there's suddenly a B- out of the blue and everyone wonders what happened.

edit- no sense continuing a discussion that no longer exists so i too will drop it.

For the record, I am not, nor have I ever been anti-Chuck. He has to this point been the most fan accessible "head honcho" of a line since Jesse Falcon back in ML's "good ol' days". I am grateful he takes the time with us he does. (of course after the chat he pretended not to know if the Lizard was coming out, and whether he'd have a sculpted head, and then like less than a month later Lizzy was annouced and pictures were up I will never play poker with the man, but in his job that's a skilled job requirement so no complaints there either :thumbsup: ) I am however considering exactly which Con appearance I will be smuggling a pie into for him as a "gift" should Kang not be annouced this year either. Not sayin', just sayin'.

Edited by Mirymate