UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 minimates

sinnsyk

Normally I might agree, but I actually dig some of the repaints from this videogame. I actually like the Stealth Iron Man more than the regular version (he'll stick out more than the 500 other gold and red Iron Men I own), and I have no need for another "regular" looking Deadpool, but the orange version looks kind of neat IMO. Others have expressed interest in the bulky Red Hulk that you can think of as another character entirely. And it isn't like we aren't getting new figures at SDCC in the Thor and FF packs. These are just lagniappe in my opinion. If they weren't released, we wouldn't be getting more new figures. We just wouldn't be getting these.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally I might agree, but I actually dig some of the repaints from this videogame. I actually like the Stealth Iron Man more than the regular version (he'll stick out more than the 500 other gold and red Iron Men I own), and I have no need for another "regular" looking Deadpool, but the orange version looks kind of neat IMO. Others have expressed interest in the bulky Red Hulk that you can think of as another character entirely. And it isn't like we aren't getting new figures at SDCC in the Thor and FF packs. These are just lagniappe in my opinion. If they weren't released, we wouldn't be getting more new figures. We just wouldn't be getting these.

I'm usually happy with new minimates, don't get me wrong, but repaints are just the laziest product for a toy company to produce. As a completist collector the one thing I hate the most is after buying something and looking at it and thinking, "I don't even want this." Maybe i'm just further expressing my disdain for the poor execution of the "alternate costumes" in the actual MVC3 game.

I'm usually happy with new minimates, don't get me wrong, but repaints are just the laziest product for a toy company to produce.

Nooooooo, that was waves 12 and 13 back in '06. Sure, new characters, but poorly executed and cheaply done.

Just saying.

i can understand why some may not like repaints but i like these, red hulk and stealth ironman look like great high quality mates and both fill a good void in my collection (i never bought the original red hulk or the original stealth ironman) also megama-zero may not be useful as a character to me but he has some awesome parts so he may make great custom fodder

i can understand why some may not like repaints but i like these, red hulk and stealth ironman look like great high quality mates and both fill a good void in my collection

I agree with this. As I have said before, the "alternative pallets" are great ways to get characters we may not see in the main line, i.e. Punisher Cap, Doom 2099 and White Pheonix, as well as updates like bulked out Red Hulk whom we may never actually see get re-released.

also megama-zero may not be useful as a character to me but he has some awesome parts so he may make great custom fodder

As a huge Capcom buff, the alternative pallets appeal a lot to me (bar Dante's) as they're either referencing other costumes the character has warn (Arthur's Gold Armour) or other characters from the franchise (Morrigan with her sister Lilith's pallet, Zero with X's pallet). The only exception is Dante as (apparently) the white jacket is a refernece towards Ryu from Breath of Fire 3. Great game, don't get me wrong and the clocest I could EVER get to having a BoF minimate, but some of his other pallets reference some of the other costumes he's warn and personally I'd prefer that.

I'm really keen to see where they go with the pallets as there are so many potential characters we'd otherwise never see get a shot at being made. Yes I can understand the frustration if you see it as say a red version of Hulk instead of Red Hulk, a blue version of Zero instead of Zero as X but for me, unless they start to release MvC2 characters Capcom foolishly left out of the game or Capcom add in characters they foolishly left out as DLC, this is the clocest I can get to some of my favourite B-List Capcom characters or games as minimates.

As a completist collector the one thing I hate the most is after buying something and looking at it and thinking, "I don't even want this."

So are you saying you get buyers remorse or that you're a completist so you don't like having to buy stuff you don't like?

If it's buyers remorse, I hear that... I really wish I had just waited and got the Stilt-man/Crimson Dynamo packs when they went on sale and got Mandarin at my LCS instead of pre-ordering the wave on-line, such crap! I didn't even like the variant when I got him in hand... such a crap wave.

But if you're saying you're GOING to buy these repaints despite knowing you hate them because you're a "completist": THAT IS CRAZY TALK!

No one forces a "completist" to take up a toy line as their own personal pokemon challenge. DST is not your mother, 'lazy repaints' are not your vegetables, although "DOZENS OF MORE CHARACTERS" might be your dessert you can skip whatever you want and go straight to your reward, you can have nothing buy dessert and not get sent to your room for shoving the vegetables under the table to the dog.

If you've decided owning every single figure in a toy line is your cross to bear YOU DON'T GET TO COMPLAIN WHEN A CHARACTER IS MADE YOU DON'T LIKE!!! If you've decided for whatever reason you're going to buy everything you don't get to complain when Speedo-Surprise-Spider-man, Barcadi-and-Coke-Iron-Man, DJ-Danger-Doom-Fan-Doctor-Doom, and Hyphen-Happy-Hulk-Hogan-Hulk are made instead of the Wrecking Crew or whatever because you were going to toss $18 at DST no matter what four figures were in that set.

You don't "win" anything by completing a line, well I guess you can tell people on-line "I'm a completist" which makes you sound fancy, or when you tire of a line you can ask for more money when you sell it. But why spend your hard earned money for "internet respect" claiming to be a completist earns? Why take up space in your home to eventually gain a 'finders fee' for obtaining a complete set for the next owners? It's silly, just silly.

Of course you probably think it's silly I've bought every single Ghostbuster minimate (multiples in fact) but traded away a perfectly good SDCC 25th anniversary blank and gave another way leaving me with no SDCC GB Blank, the rarest of the GB mates and according to the checklist part of the series apparently. so different strokes I guess.

Anyone else notice that Red Hulk's profile on the back of the box is actually a Green Hulk bio that they didn't bother to change?

Since... ya'know... Red Hulk isn't Bruce Banner, nor did he get his powers from a Gamma Bomb...

I think it's because the character they are releasing is the Hulk in P2 colors, not Red Hulk specifically. I think it's a matter of semantics of the game (in which Hulk is the character and not Red Hulk).

Anyone else notice that Red Hulk's profile on the back of the box is actually a Green Hulk bio that they didn't bother to change?

Since... ya'know... Red Hulk isn't Bruce Banner, nor did he get his powers from a Gamma Bomb...

I think it's because the character they are releasing is the Hulk in P2 colors, not Red Hulk specifically. I think it's a matter of semantics of the game (in which Hulk is the character and not Red Hulk).

That and those back of the box profiles aren't known for a little something I like to call accuracy. Honestly I they make me so crazy with their mistakes I try not to read them anymore.

I suppose it's a little of both, buyers remorse and having to have a complete collection including things that I don't like. I just get a certain personal satisfaction of having a complete collection. I've collected other toy lines before which have come and gone, and it's nice to have all of them and know that it's complete. Knowing there's nothing left to buy, no exclusives, no battle damage variants, etc. It's a good feeling. Yes I am going to buy these minimates, despite the fact I hate them, because I don't see any other way around it. If that sounds crazy, it probably is. Collecting minimates or anything else for that matter is an addiction and I definitely have a problem.

After all the money I spent on these, I think I should complain at least once in a while. I can't be expected to love all of them can I? :P Just expressing my opinion, that's all.

I'm not trying to win anything, and I could give a s#it about internet respect. As you can see I've been a member of this board for years, but have barely posted. I was merely stating a fact that this is the way I collect minimates. I only say something when I think it's worth saying and I think my opinion is just as valid as anyone elses.

Don't get me wrong though, I love minimates. Out of all the different toy lines I've bought over the years, they are by far my favorite. In general, DST puts out more good mates than bad ones.

I just really... don't like repaints. I'll take a thousand different variations on spider-man, but repaints just aren't my cup of tea.

Edited by smackman

Yeah, I've bought more or less every minimate ever made, and there are certanially times when I go "Ugh. Great. More minimates. Why don't they give us anything good?" But honestly? I do miss 06 from time to time. 4 waves in 1 month would burn anyone out.

Sure am glad that obscure, lame-o villain gets two releases while Kang, Zemo, Blob, Toad, etc. get zero. . .[/sarcastic post of the day]

Edited by karamazov80

Sure am glad that obscure, lame-o villain gets two releases while Kang, Zemo, Blob, Toad, etc. get zero. . .[/sarcastic post of the day]

HAHA loved that.....Yeah where the freak is Zemo. I didn't know anything of Kang before the new Avengers show, but I see how people can like him so much.

Freaking Task Master -- what the hell is so different? Seriously.

Serenity Now!

[snip]

Freaking Task Master -- what the hell is so different? Seriously.

[snip]

Besides a better cloak, a better shield, and a new face? According to the model sheet e's coming with an improved and varied arsenal of weapons. Not going to argue with Dr. K's underlying sentiment. And it is a coin flip really whether Zemo or Kang deserves a minimate more. But, Taskmaster is a personal favorite used to be a lot more obscure than he is today villian. And you are not going to catch me complaining about his getting an upgrade.

First mate from this line I'm definitely getting, Marvel's done some fun stuff with Taskmaster the last couple years and this is a great job on him. Just wish he was in the LCS wave instead. Hope we can get a look at this Storm soon...

Edited by battlecat

I still maintain that Zemo is the most important villain not to have a 'mate yet. Nothing against Kang, but he isn't the founder of several teams and the killer(for a while) of Marvel's most famous sidekick.

Oh, and Taskmaster looks good. I didn't think he really needed an update, but this one definitely is superior.

Well spake.

I don't think of Taskmaster as a lame-o, but he's just as obscure as Kang, Zemo, Blob and Toad.

And while Taskmaster II looks good and all... yeah, where's new people?

Well spake.

I don't think of Taskmaster as a lame-o, but he's just as obscure as Kang, Zemo, Blob and Toad.

And while Taskmaster II looks good and all... yeah, where's new people?

Um, not in the game? If they were re-releasing him in the Marvel line I might agree that slot could be better used, but Kang is not an option here.

Um, not in the game? If they were re-releasing him in the Marvel line I might agree that slot could be better used, but Kang is not an option here.

Yes, this thread's about the MvC3 license. We could write 1000s of posts about how they could infuse the regular Marvel line with more villains (and we have).

But re: MvC3, consider... they may actually get to everyone in the game, which would be great. It was mentioned that MODOK would be in "Wave 3," so we know the pattern of 4 Marvel characters in each wave + 2 exclusive to TRU x 3 waves = 18 characters. That only leaves one character out of the 19 unmade! I hope they don't exclude Shuma Gorath...

Here's how I have it figured, with W2TRU and W3s being guesses:

W1: Deadpool, Phoenix, Iron Man, Dormammu

W1TRU: Magneto, Hulk, [iron Man], [Deadpool]

W2: Spider-Man, Wolverine, Storm, Super Skrull

W2TRU: Taskmaster, She-Hulk, [spider-Man], [Wolverine]

W3: Captain America, Thor, MODOK, X-23

W3TRU: Sentinel, Dr. Doom, [Captain America], [Thor]

...that config leaves Shuma Gorath high and dry, but who knows what the final lists will actually look like. Hopefully we'll see the whole line at SDCC.