UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 minimates

sinnsyk

But the smartest move would be to up the production number of the in-demand figures and decrease production of the (predictable) peg warmers.

Speaking of collector frustration, can anyone help me with the Storm/Jill set? I'd be much obliged. Consider me obliged.

Edited by Turtle

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this rule - buy 5 or more of the same Minimate set, they add an Iron Fist/Spider-Man set to you cart that you can't remove unless you get less than five.

A little cruel, perhaps, but it would help them move those leftovers.

LOL. Yeah, that it would.

But the smartest move would be to up the production number of the in-demand figures and decrease production of the (predictable) peg warmers.

Speaking of collector frustration, can anyone help me with the Storm/Jill set? I'd be much obliged.

They try that with the 4-3-3-2 breakdowns or whatever, but their decisions on what to short pack don't always make most sense to me. And of course, this goes back to the dark days of the 1 per case shortpacked TRU exclusive. "Predictable" by whom, is the question I guess I would ask.

Edited by karamazov80

For the first time in a long time, I'm burned out on Minimates. I think I'm going through that lull that many others have experienced lately. Not sure why I am posting that here, but is just seemed to fit the theme.

I agree. There's too many. They just keep pumping them out without any breaks in between. If we were getting consistently new characters, it wouldn't be so bad, but there are way to many rehashes like the recent best of wave. Although it will never happen, they should just make a 40 pack of new characters and save some time.

As a hardcore collector I am not burned out but more excited to see Minimates be so successful at retail. I admit that I hate having 45 different Wolverines and so many rehash figures just to get 1 or 2 new character releases. The only thing I hate more are the small scale of large characters like sentinels, and always hearing DST tell fans that making these staple characters help sell the other figures when all I see at Toysrus is shelves filled with Spiderman/Lizard packs peg warm.

Some of the lines I collected like JLU bombed at retail and now the line has ended (granted it was Mattel distribution issues), or other lines like my MAX Factory figures are never sold at retail and only available via special order. I will continue supporting Mates as they come.

Even if people aren't army building, it can still be impossible to buy the exclusives from TRU. I still haven't had any luck getting a Crossbones that wasn't overpriced. I checked both local TRUs and one not local TRU and they were all gone. TRU's website couldn't keep them in stock and now everyone on ebay wants $20 for him.

I wish it was only the army builder packs, but it happens to any cool character, so a pack with MODOK and Akuma might be even tougher to find than Crossbones and Captain-I-wore-this-costume-once. :confused:

I don't have a local TRU so I feel lucky any time I'm able to get the exclusives at all and it's a red letter day when I can get a single pack for less than a box set.

I understand the business reasons behind exclusives but at the same time I really hate them. No matter the toy line I've always thought that an exclusive should have a broader re-released a year later in altered packaging so that collectors can have the "exclusive" collectible and everyone else can still afford to have a copy of the figure.

Still, I know that isn't realistic so my collection is likely to forever be lacking the likes of X-Factor Angel and Swordsman.

When I first started collecting Minimates I concentrated on getting the 'hard stuff' first .......variants,exclusives,promos & short packs were targeted....as were Targets,Wal-Marts & Shopkos etc.I ignored anything that was abundant because I could go back for it later. I really got going with Minimates when Marvel Wave 14 was fresh & a Phoenix chase was hard to get & I began to buy each following wave as a variant set of 8,thereby eliminating the chase for the chase on ebay. I then became aware of god cases which eliminated the need to hunt for anything because I had everything I would ever need & the need to 'go back' was eliminated . Note the continued use of the word eliminate. As the line grew I bought a case of everything,every box set,every wave whether I loved that particular franchise or not,in all fairness I loved most of what I bought & I still do. Then came the TRU deal & my first big wobble or shall we say robble occurred....how the hell would I continue collecting these things? I've hung in ,I've wheeled & dealed .....I've also been the recipient of some incredible help from many many people here....you know who you are.....it still continues. My second & greatest robble occurred just before TRU.com allowed me..... for the first time..... to buy from them direct & ship to a US address. Without that lifeline I was just about done but for once I could buy & receive without feeling like a leach. I'll stress that nobody ,no-one at all wanted me to feel like that & without exception just helped me out...God bless you.

Here's the rub ,the system at TRU doesn't work & never has . That's not a bitter snipe at TRU or DST, it is a plain fact.

Whenever I moan (check it out) I try to justify why I'm moaning.......whether I liked Crossbones or not I commented on how IMO he could have been better. Famously I said that the original W33 Sentinels wouldn't sell....wrong again bhm :confused: 'TRU CapCom sentinels sold-out quickly ' is something that an ol'guy like me who watches & learns by precedent wasn't too surprised at especially when I also learned that some of the inventory ended up at somewhere other than TRU. Sure-fire winner....shortpacked TRU exclusive army builder :rolleyes:

Short packs don't draw the crowds into TRU stores if they did then from what I read (here) the crowds won't find diddly. The cross-over packs (those also sold at LCS) have notoriously sat on pegs ,I believe I've read somewhere that future TRU waves will not include cross-overs . Progress but how long did that take to figure out?

Short packs scalped from TRU.com smashed open & sold loose on ebay at extortionate prices isn't illegal but it's sick & nobody on this forum or DST gains from it.

I buy at least a god-case of everything else that DST produce & I would buy any sort of case from TRU & take the rough with the smooth but this again isn't an option online. If I could I'd get my desirables & poke up with the peg-warming potentials.

I just want to buy Minimates & I try & remain calm in the full-knowledge that guys of my age aren't the market the guys at DST seek so my views on odd character-choices & 'how minimates are made differently these days' aren't that important to them or myself in the scale of things . What is important is that Minimates aren't dragged down by a system that ain't working.

BTW I scored my Sentinels & my Taskmasters & then immediately posted the news.I didn't score dozens & mine won't be apppearing any time soon on ebay & my post isn't sour grapes....I'm just genuinely concerned that after all this time nothing changes & it's more about a lottery than collecting toys.

Edited by buttheadsmate

I can console myself to the idea that if I never find the MvC3 Sentinel, it's no great personal loss. Of all the Marvels in the game, it's the least cannon looking; no Sentinel looking exactly like that has appeared in a 616 story. Not saying it's not a danm fine looking Sentinel, cause it is, but it's a look created by Capcom for their games. So as a guy focusing on just 616 Marvel Minimates, I can live with the idea of missing this one.

MODOK on the other hand... hopfully he'll sell Taskmaster slowish so I'll at least have a fair shot.

I think I'd be more frustrated about the Sentinel if they used that body but made the colors more plain-robotic, like black, silver and/or grey. It's a fantastic lookin' figure, but I don't have any use for a teeny Sentinel. A giant fun robot, though, I'd figuratively eat up like hotcakes.

I'm only interested due to interest in the games. And not even MVC3, really, but MVC2 for the Sentinel and SF1 for Ryu. If I were a strict Marvel comic fan like you Miry, I wouldn't bother with this, either.

Sure-fire winner....shortpacked TRU exclusive army builder :rolleyes:

Yeah. . .from the standpoint of trying to maximize sales and make fans happy, this is one of the more baffling things I've seen from TRU considering that it is an army builder, and a desirable one, but is an exclusive and is short-packed. But like you said before, not difficult to have anticipated this based on TRU's previous track record.

Edited by karamazov80

What is your LCS jcastick?Are you still out in the San Jose area?

Blackcat Comics in Milpitas

I go there to and I also go to Comic & Figure Addicts http://www.cfaddicts.com/ in Union City.Last time I was there he had MVC2 with the Storm exclusives.He didn't have Sentinel & Ryu but he does carry TRU exclusives when they come out.

What is your LCS jcastick?Are you still out in the San Jose area?

Blackcat Comics in Milpitas

I go there to and I also go to Comic & Figure Addicts http://www.cfaddicts.com/ in Union City.Last time I was there he had MVC2 with the Storm exclusives.He didn't have Sentinel & Ryu but he does carry TRU exclusives when they come out.

Good to know, I will have to check them out! Thanks!

I believe I am a little confused on the TRU Wave 2 issue. Should we be expecting these right now? I knew a few cases went out early and a few went accidentally to LCS's.. and a few sold online.. but reading the posts it is sounding like the only way to get a Sentinel is to pay more than double retail plus shipping. I thought we just had to wait until these 'officially' hit TRU's nationwide. Am I missing something? Are we sure these are going to be impossible chase figures?.. or are we just reacting with a little impatience? I'm as impatient as the next collector.. but in this case, I am confused. :)

A little help?

Thanks!

Vox

just be happy we still have minimates after all these years and waves.

Yes, yes. extremely thankful the lines still going strong, that after 3 or so years TRU is more willing than ever to give it shelf space and order new exclusive sets. And thus give me the opportunity to beat me head against the wall trying to get those said exclusives, and give me more "in good fun" frustration and indigestion. :wallbash:

Yep.

Down right giddy.

Yeah, unlike some other TRU packs, I'm not sure this one will appear for less than $20 shipped or so on eBay any time soon because it is the army builder and an exclusive, in addition to being short packed. And my TRU sucks, so I don't hold out much hope for finding these there. The online option is my favorite way to go, but TRU's policies of allowing unlimited purchases in an order means these sold out almost as soon as they went up. So, personally, this is nothing totally new of course. I've been following the TRU Marvel 'Mates since wave 1, and like BHM, am very accustomed to the process. But it wears me down a bit over time. Of course, I'm glad Minimates are still going. And yes, I'm glad that we get TRU exclusives that we otherwise wouldn't. But that doesn't mean I have to be happy about the collector unfriendly foolishness that is TRU, do I? And of course, it's that much worse for international collectors (of which there are a fair number), who are gonna have to pay jacked up rates for these on the secondary market and then pay for additional shipping and potentially even customs fees. The only time I do feel like I shouldn't complain is when I consider those guys, who are always gonna have it worse.