UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Brings Back Letters Page

Mystery Man

Hey all,

With DC having brought back the printed letters pages in their comics this month I thought it'd be a swell time to write them and let them know how greatly missed their line of Minimates is. You can go to this link (http://www.dccomics.com/sites/dcletterspage/) to fill out an online letter. In the TOPIC box I put "Other DC Comics". I suggest keeping it polite but sincere. I don't know if these'll see any kind of print since there isn't a DC Direct comic book but somebody may take notice. Besides, all we hear from DST is "The ball is in DC's court". Let's try to do something about it, what d'you say?

Here's my letter:

Hi,

I was wondering what it will take for DC to begin doing Minimates again? The popularity of this toyline has continued to grow over the years and I really am disappointed that DC isn't still making these. Blammoids weren't good enough and I doubt that Mez-It's will be either, with all due respect. Minimates are THE best, most interactive block-figure line on the market today and I really think both DC and the fans are losing by these not being produced.

Thank you for your consideration,

Matt Strawbridge

• 9 months later...

Nope.

I loved DC minimates. I still do.

But it's done. It's over.

Think about it... Even under the best case senario, Best Case, they aren't going start back off where they stopped like the intreviening years never happened. No, they are going start all over again. New versions of Superman and Batman, We might, Might get a few unmade gems like Sinestro in green or yellow lantern grab, maybe Talon and business suit Luther. But it'll be mostly redos, and those are a coin toss as to wether they'd sell. Is buying another version of Batman worth supporting this line in the wild hope it lasts long enough to get to Atom, Black Canary, Wolfman/Perez era Kid Flash, Terra, Wondergirl, and Changling? I don't know. I don't know I trust DC's liscensing arm to stick with it.

Nope.

I loved DC minimates. I still do.

But it's done. It's over.

Think about it... Even under the best case senario, Best Case, they aren't going start back off where they stopped like the intreviening years never happened. No, they are going start all over again. New versions of Superman and Batman, We might, Might get a few unmade gems like Sinestro in green or yellow lantern grab, maybe Talon and business suit Luther. But it'll be mostly redos, and those are a coin toss as to wether they'd sell. Is buying another version of Batman worth supporting this line in the wild hope it lasts long enough to get to Atom, Black Canary, Wolfman/Perez era Kid Flash, Terra, Wondergirl, and Changling? I don't know. I don't know I trust DC's liscensing arm to stick with it.

Not to argue, but don't they do that with wolverine, spiderman, iron man, and even thor now ?

I do think you are onto something, and I think they'd have to package the retreads with a new character.

Hal/yellow sinestro

Superman/ tuxedo Lex

Flash/ kid flash, or zoom, or reverse flash

Batman/scarecrow/two-face, or red hood

etc...

Too true, Nervous. But this would be starting over from scratch. The first few waves likely would be mostly redos of old characters, and since "strike" prices have gone up, they likely would not be as nice.

Am I being negative? Duh! And maybe even overly so. I am also very down on DC in general right now, and it's coloring my opinion. Freely acknowledge that. Totally admit I am throwing cold water on this idea. Cause I'm pretty sure what DC would have in mind and what we might want are not as close as we might think.

Obviously, I am only one man, and one opinion. If you guys feel strongly about this, then more power to you.

Hey Miry, I totally agree with you on them having to start over, and I'm ok with that. I I just think they would need to repackage them with a new or updated figure, or I'd be pretty pissed myself.... I wouldnt mind if they re did a bunch of them too. I'd like to see a new hawkman and green arrow without the bigchest, and even though I like them, maybe batman with a sculpted mask (no slipover).

I wouldn't be too worried about re-dos, 8 waves barely scratches the service in terms of characters available. I also don't think we'd get anyone with the exact same looks, as presumably any new DC mates would have their 'new 52' looks, which is the one of many reasons I can't myself being interested.

Sure, a few characters haven't changed too much, and i'd probably buy multiple Batmans for customisation, but I feel like I've mourned and moved on... and made everyone I'm after myself.

Also, the quality would have to so inferior to the other 8 waves, perhaps almost unrecognizable. Its that or the retail cost would have to be unrealistically high.

in summary, lovely in theory... but they'd end up being a real disappointment

Miry, now we are two.

I'd be willing to buy new versions of previously released characters to get characters we missed out on last time. As already mentioned, we're buying multiple versions of Spiderman and Wolverine and the Marvel line seems to be doing quite well.

Of course, DC seems hell bent to produce any kind of figure they can EXCEPT for Minimates, so I don't expect to see any new DC 'mates ever. :/

Look - i'll get on board and hassle DC (I've sent them an email just now for the Letters Page), but if . . . IF DC Minimates come back - i wont be a completionist this time. I have a full run of the original line. I wont be buying Batmen and Supermen & Wonder Women unless there's a really great & different design at play.

I'll pick and choose and wait for a Poison Ivy/Freeze/Two-Face. And i imagine that a lot of collectors will do the same thing. Which would probably hurt the line a little. And might cause it to stop again. In which case i'll see you all here in a year to start lobbying once more :P

Personally, I'll buy everything they put out if they restarted the DC minimate line!

I also have a full run of the originals, but I really like them so much I wouldn't mind extras, especially if packed with new figures! I would rather have an army of Batmen than the Spider-Men I already own!

Besides, have you seen the prices on the originals on Ebay? It's insane! I know there's still a great market for these, at least as far as Batman & Superman goes. Sure wave 5 and up are generally cheap, but they don't need to rerelease Ma Hunkel or Shazam. Gotta have Batman & Superman to get into TRU though, and I support that wholeheartedly