UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Toys R Us and other fun places to work!!!

I'm applying for a job at good old Toys R Us, I'm just wondering if anyone has experience working for them and if there's anything I should know going into an interview. I love the idea of having an edge on the competition (local scalpers that steal all the toys from collectors)... Is there anything that will give me the upper hand during an interview, and anything I should watch out for, say, or not say...

I really need a job and this seems like the perfect fit, the photo work doesn't really par for all the extras I collect (although I do alright, artistry isn't the field to be into if you really care about being rich). Now that my wife is collecting vinyl (dunnys) and I'm amassing pieces of toy art by my favorite artists at 200 a pop (I don't care what you think about vinyl art, Sam Flores "Dragon Boy" was worth the 150 it cost me, the same goes for Buff Monster's "Destroyer").

So I'm hoping TRU will be a good place to supplement some income for me and I hope I get in. Please if any of you have experience with this fine company give me a heads up on the TRU "do and don't" list. Wish me luck, and BTW if any of you know a good online retailer for Kid Robot, Toy2R, or StrangeCo. my wife, and my wallet will be eternally grateful.

Love,

Michael

If you get caught selling the toys you purchase, they will fire you.

Anything you look up in the TRU system is not for public knowledge, espically social websites. If you share that information, they will fire you.

Most stores have you wait until the case is on the floor before you can grab what you want.

But these rules have yet to stop me after seven and a half years :P

Honstly, every store will have a different vibe, so it is hard to give advice about working at one. My store knows me as the guy-who-knows-everything-about-toys and there is no competition for collecting. Where other stores might have multiple toy experts and a lot of toy collectors.

I worked there for 3 days, so clearly I'm a pro. :D

They were big into everyone doing their part when I was there. Basically, no matter your position, if there was a turd on the floor, would you clean it up, or is that below you?

Also, in a group interview, they had activities like "Go on the store floor, bring back a toy, and explain how you would sell it" and 'Build a small model out of these Legos, then describe it and price it."

Nobody else in the group had any idea how horribly expensive Legos were.

Good luck!

These links are great, I'm really excited to have an extra tool to look to for other places I'm interviewing at... Thanks a lot they'll be really handy in the future...

@Luke, I'm more of a afraid of the color yellow guy myself, especially if it comes by way of a Lantern, I know I'm in trouble.

I grew up a toys r us kid and I was stoked to have my job at TRU. However, if you dont get it dont feel bad, because I overhyped it myself and the reality of it was those people running it sucked and there was more drama with management than when I was in high school. But driving around the warehouse in power wheels we had built was pretty fun.

i worked at one after school ended before I got a career going a few years back. It wasnt so bad and I still go in once a week on fridays to talk to the people i worked with as well as hunt for minimates.

Morning shift was awesome, night shift was bad IMO when we had to spend an undetermined amount of time putting items away. sometimes you just have places to be, you know? I loved the scalpers that where there in the morning though. i would purposely grab all of the good stuff before they got there and put them in the return cart. I also loved when they would return exactly seven days later to return items that did not sell on ebay.

that said, awesome times with some laid back people. the occasional hard ass will pop up but the vets working there are usually cool.

Oh, and buyer protection plans are for cashiers. if you are a floor person you are safe but aim for "Bicycle assembly". you are basically in the back customer free putting together bikes all day and it makes the time go by much quicker.

I worked there from '04 to '06. By the time I was done I was having nose bleeds weekly because the stress was so bad. A co-worker put his fist through a printer because he was so mad. (yes, he hurt his hand) It's great when the system works like you dream it will. When it doesn't... Just remember, there's always other jobs.

At this point I'd never go back to retail.

Well, best of luck to you, Michael.

All I can say is, I had interviewed once.....and found out that they had passed on me; a 15 year veteran in the retail game, 3 years in video production making commercials and a life long collector of toys.....for a guy who acted like a complete douche during the interview and had the brain capacity of the chair he was sitting in.

But from what I have heard here, I'm kind of glad I didn't get the job.