UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Whether the weather...

Turtle

There's a big winter storm brewing across much of the US this week with record snowfall in many places. Here in Memphis we've already had a few snow days so far this year. I've had a blast playing in the snow with my 1-year-old. Yesterday, though it started out in the mid-60's, ended in the low-20's. That's not normally too terrible, except for the fact that while snow was slamming the Midwest, we just got a lot of rain... and wind. Apparently my neighbor's old tree didn't care for all of that and decided to take a little nap in my yard- across my patio and garden and using my power lines as a pillow. Luckily, except for the downed lines, there was no major damage, but I'm now without power and it's cold. And my garden, my beautiful garden, I just don't think it was meant to be so abused. I'm sure most of the plants will be fine, but the little picket fence, the archway I built for the climbing roses, the hanging plant rack- a lot of that is good and demolished. I'm thankful there was no major damage to my house, but these little things, they represent years of hard work my wife and I put into it to make our yard OURS.

Overall, I've had fun with all of this winter weather. (But today I'm not feeling the love so much.) How has the winter been for you all? Any sledding adventures, massive snowball fights, or other fun snowday stories? Pics, of course, are welcome.

We've been getting slammed here in Mass. We got about a foot yesterday, and another 8-10 inches this morning. These 2 storms makes it a total of 7 so far this year, approximately 5 feet of snow has fallen total, and my kids have missed 8 days of school already... and it's only February 2nd :wacko: This is by far the worst winter I can remember in many years. Of course this is also the year we moved into a house with a long, gravel driveway, not fun to shovel. Thankfully I have an awesome neighbor that lets me borrow his snow blower, and another that uses his tractor to dig out my mailbox on occasion.

BS

Edited by blacksun1520

Here in the PACNW we've so far had a total of zero snow, and I like it that way :)

Having said that the temperatures have dropped a lot in the last couple of days so we may still get some.

Hope all of you snowbound people keep warm and stay safe though.

T.

p.s. even without snow I miss the warm sunny climes of San Diego this time of year :)

We've been having consistently hot weather between 30 and 38ish. It's been so hot & humid for the past week, that we have an infestation of crickets at my work that are toeing the line of biblical proportions. You can't walk anywhere in the library without almost crunching one under your boot-heel.

After all this maddening heat, today we are being absolutley drenched. It hasn't stopped rasining since last night & it is heavy.

I'm wondering if this is some sort of knock on effect from Cyclone Yasi in Queensland?

EDIT: Sorry - for those using farenheit, 38 = about 100.

Edited by Nessex

Everything shut down here, and we don't even have snow. There's this fear of icy roads I guess, so schools are closed and even my work is closed (today and tomorrow).

It's pretty awesome, actually.

Hopefully when Groundhog leaves his burrow today it will be cloudy & winter will soon end .

He'll show today .

He must have seen his shadow! :blink:

Sorry I'm a few days late. For what's it's worth, I saw half my shadow, so it looks like about three more weeks of winter until it's three more weeks until spring.