UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Fantastic 3

So will the price of my FF minimates with the number 4 on them skyrocket now that they killed off

Torchy?

Also has anyone seen the thing as a regular human now?

The only benefit to ever "killing off a character" is the story you can tell afterwards with the characters affected by the death. Johnny's 'death' has the potential to be a very good story arc with the level of guilt and responsibility that Reed will feel. The story needs to focus on Reed trying to set things right (which I'm sure he will) while Sue deals with the stages of grief and Ben deals with the loss of his best friend.

I tend not to do anything as I dont really work here anymore, but I took the spoiler out of the sodding topic title so no one else has it ruined for them by browsing recent posts. I also invisitexted your post as Im now cranky :P

I was also going to post a sarcastic "Thanksabunch" remark but I feel it is better for newcomers ...welcome newcomers....to dig their own holes just like I had to :D

If however anybody spoils season 5 of Dexter for me....you're in deepestdoodoo.

If however anybody spoils season 5 of Dexter for me....you're in deepestdoodoo.

You mean apart from the discovery that Dexter's girlfriend is the mastermind serial killer who has orchestrated the actions of all serial killers (including Dexter) in previous seasons for her own, twisted ends?

Considering the amount of mainstream media coverage this has gotten, I feel sorry for anyone who's been trying to avoid the spoilers. I'm glad Marvel kept it a secret up until they put out the press releases boldly proclaiming who dies just hours before the issue was even available for sale...

So will the price of my FF minimates with the number 4 on them skyrocket now that they killed off

Bearing in mind that I am apparently the resident price-fixer <_< I'll give my opinion to your ( Mick Mc.Muck)probably tongue-in-cheek question. Many Minimates' desirability have been affected when newer versions have been released although the late Sue Storm ,God bless her,has got to be the most improved Minimate ever & has probably killed the first Sue Storm's value. The latest Thing ....God bless his soul .....however is typical of the current DST, 90% policy....get everything almost perfect & then f*ck it up with a different coloured face. 'Colour' leads nicely into the decision to change the hue of the blue on the latest versions so that it is specifically different from previous FF versions :rolleyes: Poison plastics are the reason why Reed hasn't got bendy arms anymore & it's no secret why a certain Texan member here "is the way he is" purely because of his old habit of chewing them :woot: Thankfully Johnny is OK & in good health :whistling: ....except that the only version I really love is the non-flamed version which appeared in the SDCC set which is the only set really worth having especially if you change the heads on Sue & maybe Reed . That set is the 'skyrocket' & was plentiful up until about a year or so ago.

Are you Scottish?

Edited by buttheadsmate

I personally like the regular wave releases more, with the exception of Invisible Woman. That is a pretty nifty 4-pack, though. Toynk had it in stock forever, and was off-loading them for $10 at one point.

No one has spoiled how it happens yet. Anyone know? Put in spoiler tags please.

A new Annihilation Wave is in the Negative Zone heading for a portal linked to the Baxter Building, and Reed is away on the other side of the universe, so they're unable to put up a barrier on this side. Johnny, Ben and the kids go into the Negative Zone but realize the only way to secure the portal is if someone stays behind. Ben is going to do it but Johnny shoves him through, seals the portal and is swarmed by the wave.

Normally I'm with the people saying comic book death is stupid at this point, but this really wasn't your typical Manufactured Shocking Event nonsense, it's just a beat in a larger story and it's pretty clear this character will be back soon enough. One of the few Marvel titles I'm really enjoying at the moment.

I haven't been reading Hickman's FF, but I've heard good things. I agree with you, Battlecat, that it sounds like a death that's more organic to the comic then some other "death" or "rebirth" we've seen recently. It does bug me a bit that this is at least the third time someone's tried this stunt (killing a member of the FF), but if it's handled well I can't complain too much.

My ire is raised more by the way Marvel goes about handling these things, with press releases and whatnot. Personally, I find that it more often then not it cheapens the comic and makes me not want to read it. If I can pimp my blog for a moment, I wrote a piece about the pending death of Ultimate Spider-Man a little while ago that talks a bit about this. I think death, if handled right, is a necessary part of comics storytelling; I don't think press releases declaring said death an "event" is, though.

Edited by hellpop

Well, at least they didn't shoehorn it into an "event" like the Final Crisis or Civil War or whatever. It was shocking and original back when Crisis on Infinite Earths did it, now it's just another event punctuated by a "death" that is lucky to last half a year.

I'll admit I'm a tad more intrigued by

Johnny's death tying into a possible second Annihilation wave

. As others stated I'm at least grateful that this felt less like a gimmick and more like actual foreshadowing to something "bigger." Involving

the Negative Zone

sounds like an interesting touch too, fingers crossed that maybe this will tie in to current Cosmic Marvel events somehow.

Edited by NorthRaider

i understand why death in comicbooks has become a way of life but i still think certain characters deaths are interesting and good story plots, i really enjoyed death of captain america and to see how tony and the rest of the characters handled it, im even more excited to see how reed deals with his impending guilt, sue becomes incredibly depressed and angry, and ben may try and get revenge which could end up being how a second anhiliation wave is started

to see how reed deals with his impending guilt

will he maybe climb into his machine-to-heaven like he did to deal with guilt when he killed Ben a few years ago?

Or did that conveniently break/get forgotten so Johnny's got to find a different way back?

(seriously, is there a storyline reason this is different then Ben's death that makes this a bigger deal worth a press release and a countdown? Also speaking of Ben being lesser then Johnny, you know how Ben misses his humanity and all... why the hell do they call him "the Thing"!?! Johnny is the "HUMAN Torch" and Reed is "Mr. FANTASTIC" and they rub it in Ben's face calling "THE THING", why aren't they called "The Flaming Horror" and "Walking Penis Joke" and Ben called "The Living Wall" or something else with a little dignity? And why stop at "the Thing" if he gets a name denying him humanity why not call him "Ugly Monster Sh*tpile" and drop all pretense?)

By supreme irony my comic pimp dropped off some current Marvel titles yesterday along with a VF condition classic "What If " copy from 1977 which he wants me to value for him. This is #5 & it's "What if Captain America hadn't vanished during WW2 !" . Ironic because this 'death' card has been played to & fro throughout the time I've been reading comics & is nothing new . I'll be reading it first & I hope I'm not radicalised by the blatant use of the swastika on the front cover :rolleyes: