UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Huge Surprise planned for ToyFair 2011 - What is it?

ToyFair 2011 Huge Surprise  

61 members have voted

1. 1. So what will be the minimate related surprise?

• DC
    • Disney (including PotC, Muppets, etc)
    • Video Game lines
    • Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit
    • Old Movies (like Godfather, Western Trilogy, etc)
    • New Movies (Cowboys and Aliens, etc)
    • Cartoon Shows (Thundercats, Smurfs, etc)
    • Star Wars
    • Sports (NFL, NHL, NBA, WWE)
    • Large Size Minimates
    • New Comic Book lines (not Marvel or DC)
    • James Bond
    • New M.A.X. line
    • TV Show (Buffy, X-Files, Golden Girls, etc)
    • Food related line
    • Something totally different

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the chances we'll get MORE than one of the licenses listed??

I really think we'll get Cowboys & Aliens, but I wouldn't call that HUGE because people haven't been asking for it.

There are a few on the poll I think is "huge", and a lot of others that are niche-market. I guess for it to be huge, I'd expect several waves. Goonies, while wanted by many, wouldn't classify as huge for me - little to no character variations, only one movie, mostly people (one monster-Sloth & one pirate? not as much variation as GB)

Will it be huge in regards to how many people have been asking for it (DC, Disney, Star Wars, Indiana Jones)? Or huge in the depth they would get out of the line? (TMNT, Thundercats, etc)

GB would possibly not have been thought of as huge before it hit. Most people would have thought of the main characters and a few waves of ghosts & supporting characters. Then we got all of the variants we did and now we're getting the cartoon versions too. Now, I can't picture a minimates line *without* Ghostbusters, it makes too much sense.

Regardless, I hope "huge" means a line we've been asking for consistently, because you know they'll produce a lot of mates. If it's Thundercats, I won't be as impressed.

My hope is for DC, but also Disney. This year there's a new Muppet movie, and I would love to get some Muppet minimates!! (I was an extra for a day in the scenes at the Mann's Chinese theater courtyard!)

But with all of the great guesses posted, it would be sad to only get ONE.

I voted video games, and it's not in optimistic anticipation of classic NES guys. I'm guessing some other Halo-like license of heavily sculpted figures from a shooter or futuristic fantasy type franchise that I'm only vaguely aware of and won't have any interest in.

You share my cynicism Sam ;)

'Huge' for me? DC,Star Wars & Who.

Reality? Probably some obscure (to me) video game license.

Chuck did say at CC last year that Halo was a "game changer" for them. I'm trying to think of what other video game franchise has as many unique sculpted pieces that can be churned into endless repacks like Halo. Gears of War, I guess?

I was going to say yesterday that Indiana Jones Minimates & Hell Boy Minimates could utilise a combined Nazi dump case ......what is it with Hollywood & Nazis ? I'm almost beginning to feel sorry for them .

Did I mean Hollywood or Nazis? I'll leave it to you to decide mein freunds .

I cast my vote above for Jimmy B. My reasoning is that MGM has given the go-ahead for a new movie, despite it's problems. They are undoubtedly going to want to market the brand, the name brand, heavily while they still can. With over 20 movies to choose from, DST could do a 4-pack for each one, with a TRU exclusive; similar to the Universal monsters. Possibly release 2 movies at a time, starting wig the new one and Dr. No.

Maybe that is just wishful thinking.

The only problem with James Bond is I feel the line would die after people got their Craig, Connery, Brosan, and Moore figures. There's only so much you can do before it turns out like 24: Even with cool accessories, there's too many civillians and guys in suits.

The only problem with James Bond is I feel the line would die after people got their Craig, Connery, Brosan, and Moore figures. There's only so much you can do before it turns out like 24: Even with cool accessories, there's too many civillians and guys in suits.

With Bond it's always been the villains & the girls ...not Bond. I know that sounds ludicrous & I'm actually agreeing with you Punisher but there is still plenty of mileage with the characters other than Tuxedo-ed James.

I was thinking for the 4-pack you would have:

"Iconic Scene" Bond Girl

Main Villian

Support character (M, Money Penny, Q, secondary Bond girl, etc.)

"Themed" James Bond (Swim suit, scuba gear, ski outfit, Havana hat, etc.)

The TRU wave would then have:

Main Villian/Theme JB (New) x4

Main Villian/Theme JB (Classic) x4

Secondary Villian OR Bond Girl/"Traditional" James Bond (New) x2

Secondary Character/ "Traditional" James Bond(Classic) x2

You would have to make it through many box sets to get all of Bond's supporting characters, especially if each different actor (M, Money Penny, Felix, etc.) got a mate. It could be huge!

bond = peg warmers at TRU.

little boy; "I want a spiderman"

dad: "are you sure you don't want this James Bond? he is in a tux and comes with a girl in a dress?"

little boy: "James who?"

dad: "he is an english spy who had popular movies from when I was a boy...and he has a martini accessory"

little boy: "you are so old"

How bizarre that no one has voted for Star Wars as I write this....

I want Star Wars, but I just don't think it realistic. If we got Star Wars minimates, I would drop Hasbro like a hot potato.

You know what? I voted for "other comics", because that's what I want. Indiemates, dammit!

How bizarre that no one has voted for Star Wars as I write this....

I thought it's more about guessing what we'll see and not what we want to see. I voted for cartoons, because I seriously think we're going to see somthing like that. I don't think Thundercats, because Chuck mentioned it's a good idea and I don't expect him commenting like this on the real deal. My personal guess: TMNT.