UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

BEST CUSTOMS OF 2010 AWARDS

As you already know, the Best and Worst of 2010 voting is taking place right now (don't forget to vote!), but I felt something's missing: The best custom of 2010. It's obviously too late to try to include it, but why not make a virtue of necessity. (Is this what you native speakers would say here?)

Anyway, working together with Boyd and Cappy, we're organizing the BEST CUSTOMS OF 2010 AWARDS - the biggest custom show in the whole 'verse!

All 'versers will be able to not only vote for the best custom, but for the first time ever in different categories! This way we can have a closer look what has been done in the last year and celebrate the awesome customs and their creators. And to get this thing started, we'll proceed as we did last year: we'll start with the nominations.

HERE ARE THE RULES FOR THE NOMINATION PROCEDURE:

- Every customizer (and yes, only the customizers themselves) is allowed to nominate one custom of his/her work of 2010 for each of the following categories:

• Best Marvel Comics Custom
  • Best DC Comics Custom
  • Best other Comics Custom (Darkhorse, Vertigo, Image, Dinosaur Comics, indie, webcomics, you name it.)
  • Best movies/TV/videogames Custom
  • Best box set / series of 4+ customs (meaning four or more customs to one theme, hence 'set' and 'series')
  • Best quickcustom (creating a custom by swapping parts only, you know it, right?)
  • Best sculpting (the sculpting itself is what should be judged in this one)
  • Best paintjob (the painting is what should be judged in this category)

- All in all that's a max of 8 nominations per customizer. You don't have to nominate customs in each and every category to participate.

(Honestly, I don't think anybody was that productive last year. Go, prove me wrong. :P;) )

- You are allowed to nominate one and the same custom in different categories, if it fits.

Example: a Marshall BraveStarr custom might be nominated for "Best movie/TV/Videogame", as part of "Best Box Set" (because you did Handlebar, Deputy Fuzzy and Tex Hex customs, too, for your amazing Marshall BraveStarr box set) and "Best paintjob" (because you did an awesome paint job on that one, dude!)

- We reserve the right to make changes or don't accept a nomination, if in our opinion it's placed in the wrong category. (We'll PM you in that case.)

Example: a Batman custom is nominated for "Best Marvel", a quickcustom is nominated for "Best sculpting", a set of three or less is nominated for "Best Box Set of 4+", but also a "Movie Night Owl" (Watchmen) is nominated for "Best DC Comics" or a "Comic Night Owl" is nominated for "Best movie/TV/videogams". Please think about what you had in mind, when you did the custom and I'm sure you'll easily find a category for it! Was it the movie adaption of Nick Fury you were going for, then put him in the movie/TV/videogame category, not the Marevl one. In any other case, we just proceed as the quizmaster in my local Irish pub when he's doing the table quiz: The quizmaster's always right, so even if he's wrong he's right. That's not because we're megalomaniacs, but wa want to organize this thingy as good as we can.

- We totally encourage everybody who did a custom, to participate!

- All questions on the nomination procedure should be asked in this thread!

- This should be fun! That's most important! Keep that in mind!

Ready? You made your choices? Brilliant! What to do next:

Post here or PM me (Bob Harris) and provide us with

- NAME (of custom)

- THEME (like "Marshall BraveStarr" if it's not obvious, but it's mandatory in case of Best Box Set/Series of 4+)

- CATEGORY and most important a

- LINK (to a picture/custom thread entry incl. pic)

for EACH of your nominations!

THE NOMINATION PROCEDURE STARTS NOW AND WILL END ON SUNDAY JANUARY 30th!

PS: The whole Marshall BraveStarr idea is great, isn't is? Who's doing customs of those guys?

Customizers who already nominated their customs:

- Youbastards

- MrsMarvelFan

- Glantern

- Mattallica

- TM2 Dinobot

- bobafett

- hellpop

- Tenime_art

- Shamrock

- Luke314pi

- Banners_ID

- Bob Harris

- MiniMyte

- Psyguy

- Rheul

- Lastmaximal

- Boyd

- jcastick

- Nervous

- Cappy

Edited by Bob Harris

Hey Bob, one question and a suggestion:

1. Would you prefer us to send you noms for each category individually (so that you can put, say, all the DC noms together), or would you like them all in one message so you don't have a lot of messages to go through?

2. Since a lot of us are doing more and more things with decals, maybe you should add best decal design as a category.

Thanks for doing this, guys!

Edited by hellpop

Thanks for your thoughts, hellpop!

1. Would you prefer us to send you noms for each category individually (so that you can put, say, all the DC noms together), or would you like them all in one message so you don't have a lot of messages to go through?

I'd prefer the latter. Less PMs are better. So please, send us all your noms in one message/post.

2. Since a lot of us are doing more and more things with decals, maybe you should add best decal design as a category.

Good suggestion! We came up with a few more categories but were already narrowing tehm down. We'll keep it in mind for a potential next year. But this year we'll pass.

Is this a good Example?

- NAME: MsMarvel fan

- THEME: Multiverse Members

- CATEGORY: 2 inch

- LINK: www.linkhere.example/msmarvelfan.awesome

I'm not too sure on what you mean by category. Or perhaps you mean "Best Multiverse Custom"?

Edited by MsMarvel fan

Maybe we can have a list of the people who did them, if not the customs themselves?

I'm not trying to answer this ironically, because I'm glad you brought this up and it might cause someone else trouble, too. Right now, we're doing the nominations only (hence: Phase1: Nomination). As I wrote, every customizer - that includes you, Dino - is allowed to nominated a selection of his/her own customs for the different categories.

After we got all the nominations, we'll put up all categories with pics of all nominated customs and then everybody will be able to pick the favorite ones for each category (you'll regocnize it by the subtitle: Phase2: Vote). Depending on how much work it will be, this will start in early/mid February. We'll kepp you informed!

Is this a good Example?

- NAME: MsMarvel fan

- THEME: Multiverse Members

- CATEGORY: 2 inch

- LINK: www.linkhere.example/msmarvelfan.awesome

Bingo!

Maybe we should also have a "Best Charity Mate" entry? or something? Or does that even need a special category?

Good idea. But for this year we'll pass, since we already started the nominations. We'll keep that in mind with the other suggestions and we'll see what could happen next year.

When I saw the Best/Worst thread this year, I did go "Hey, wasn't there a custom thing last year?"

Glad to see it returned/expanded

Sent in my nominations a bit earlier, cause I'm a bum who doesn't browse the board too much and always needs a PM telling me this is happening :D

Edited by Shamrock

Folks, I'm happy to say, that we got at least 6 nominations per category, so there's plenty of stuff to choose from! I can assure you, that it will be a tough choice to make - in each of those categories. And I can promise you that you will be surprised by how awesome those customs are! It will be a blast just to browse through those, really! I can't wait to show you all those customs!

Anyway, if you want to add your nominations for each of the 8 categories, do it now! We'll close the nomination procedure today at midnight EST.

We received over 80 submissions and in each category are at least 7 different customs to choose from. This is going to be great! We'll arrange everything so it's going to be as eays as possible to get a good impression of what has been created in the last year, so you can vote for your favorite customs!

:D

_____

Edit: Oh, and of course, the nomination process has ended.

Edited by Bob Harris