UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Dark Knight Rises ~spoilers inside~

youbastards

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha! Nice (but the whole thing about TDK, and possibly TDKR, is that there are legacies that need to survive. Batman, recognizing his own mortality and seeing the harm that well-meaning idiots can do should recognize the value in selecting and training his partner and intended successor. I guess. In Nolan I trust.)

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from an advance showing of this. While not my #1 movie of the summer(that still goes to Avengers,although I hardly feel the two can be compared) I enjoyed this movie a whole lot. I think it was a very good ending to the Nolan trilogy, and it was definitely my favorite of the three. Only disapointing thing is that I had a major plot point spoiled for me just hours before seeing the movie. Very annoying!

i was going to go to the marathon tonight but my friend backed out and i had to sell both tickets, losing 20 bucks of the original price :( so im a little down....ill be seeing it tomorrow with other friends and i am VERY excited :D

Going to open this thread up so we don't need spoiler boxes all over the place. Open discussion on all that is in the new movie with spoilers is allowed. One simple request: keep it all here in this thread, please don't post spoilers in other parts of the forum. Thank you everyone! I'll be back in here next week after I'm able to go see the movie :biggrin:

I didn't not like it. I thought Bane was amazing. I really didn't care much for the story, the the Knightfall and "I will break you" had me clinging to the guy next to me, cause we both knew what was coming. But really? This was just not my cup of tea. I really hated the ending. Nuclear explosions do not belong in Batman. He's a brawler, down in the streets. Nuclear bombs are... bright and clean. As it ended, I half expected to see Superman fly in and save him, because that's how it felt.

Though I will say, anyone who didn't believe Anne Hathaway could pull off Catwoman is just silly.

Over all, I'd say this was my second favorite, with Batman Begins still my favorite.

That... was exciting.

So I have to say I thought Liam Neeson's cameo was good... But Cillian Murphy's was better. Easily the funniest moment of this movie was him playing judge. "SOLD! To the man in the cold sweat!"

Thee physical challenge Bane brought to the movie was actually one of the best things in Batman. We've seen his mind tested (Scarecrow and the fear gas), his resolve weakened (Joker and Harvey Dent) and now his body broken (Bane). Fascinating to see him tested mind, soul, and body and STILL come through. He truly is... incorruptible.

So who called Talia? THIS GUY! Knew it. Called it. However what I didn't call was the little Robin thing right there at the end. Which makes me think John is not gonna be Batman but Nightwing. He's gonna let Batman's death stand as a martyr for Gotham and instead use Batman's wonderful toys to carve out a new identity. Robin becomes Nightwing indeed.

So right now I'm trying to come out with thoughts about this that are more than "AIHGDSHFKKSJDVHIUSDHGOSDBNPISDUHGFOSDHFIDGHISDHGKSDBVIUSDHFB!" and having a hard time with it. So I'll just let this comment stand and have more... intelligent things to say sometime later.

I've been in a bit of a daze since seeing it. Not sure if it was a masterpiece, or entirely redundant.

Got all teary as well. I definitely thought it was really detached from the other 2. No doubt it was emotionally involving, if a little predictable... I'm not exactly in a hurry to see it again.

also... Blake seems like a character who could get Coulsoned, and end up in the comics. Think I'll be trying to come up with the best QC recipe tonight, so... any ideas would be cool.

Loved it. Like a friend of mine mentioned, the 2nd half was very Batman-lite, and I'm always upset when things like that happen in the last movie of a series. But it was still ridiculously epic. Bane was amazing, I honestly think he was on the same level as the Joker, despite what the critics have been saying to the contrary. I loved the contrast between his voice and his physical appearance. And during that no-holds-bar beat down he gave Batman, when his skin was peeling? Siiiiick.

I didn't mind the nuclear explosion - I mean, really, makes sense when you want to quickly and efficiently destroy a city. Which seemed to fit Bane's mentality - quick, simple, brutal. He matched the Batman physically, and definitely mentally. Seeing him shot with a missile was kind of disappointing, but at least Batman kicked his ass immediately prior to that.

And I really hope people aren't getting their hopes up about Blake. While we can look at Nolan's and Bale's comments as misleading ("This is the end of our BATMAN story" - not necessarily their Robin/Nightwing story), I do believe that's the end of the Nolan universe. Maybe Blake will show up as the new Batman in the JLA crossover? I dunno. But I think it was more meant to be an epilogue type thing. "And the adventures continued..." type of deal.

it was very epic and emotional. I didn't love Hardy as Bane. That voice is silly and did he have a speaker system hooked up to that thing? I was smiling during that whole fight outside with the cops and them on the steps. Hatheway did a great job. I'd love to see the 4 hour plus cut of this film, I wonder how much will make it to dvd?

its hard for big budget movies to not be predictable anymore. Like how many times do they have to mention that Bat Plane didn't have automated controls and everyone should have seen Talia coming.

and now I'm just nitpicking but the bat plane and the camo bat mobiles looked out of place for Nolan's real universe. I know they're based off real technology but they looked like cheap movie prop toys.

Loved the opening with Bane and didn't hate the ending with the bomb, and everything after the bomb was pure movie gold.

excellent trilogy

Alright, here we go.

First, i gotta admit it's hard to think about this movie without the whole shooting scenario come up, but that's another thread, so I gotta separate reality from fiction for a second.

Really, really enjoyed it overall. I've been waiting for this movie for four years, and the wait paid off.

I loved Bane, the voice contrast as Kasm said, was great, i expect tons of "gentleman bane" drawings of him with a moustache and top hat to flood the internet. But I agree about the loudness of his voice, it almost seemed like he was narrating the scenes third person, so voice-over work needed a little work.

I saw Talia coming when Bruce noticed the scar on her back. I liked the addition of her, but I feel like the character should have had longer ties to Bruce than just appearing in this movie. Would have made the knife hurt a little more, and would have made the scene more powerful.

I thought Bats flying the bomb away was a tad corny. Like we've seen that sacrificial hero plot device in 1000 other movies.

But overall, HOLY BATMAN, BATMAN! That film was incredible.

Please let me know if anyone agrees with me on what I am about to say (if this offends you and you liked the movie I am sorry) :-

I didn't dislike the movie until I had seen it twice, to confirm my opinions about it the first time.

It is not a Batman movie. Nolan has spun things his own way, I get it. I also understand that people like the idea that its "real"...but to me a sociopath with severe childhood trauma and what appears to be two personalities dressed as a bi-pedal bat taking on criminals is not something that needs to be "real". I thought it was a very well made film, but how exactly is it a Batman movie besides the costume, some of the characters sharing names and the very basic plot.

I did not appreciate Bane just being a big guy with an attitude problem and lots of heart. The very basis of who Bane is is the VENOM...that is what makes him who or rather what he is.

I still thought the character was well executed and from a non-comic book fan perspective it was a wonderful film.

The whole John Blake character, while likable was just baffling. Why was he necessary? Why not just call him Tim Drake, Dick Grayson or even Jason Todd...what is the point of developing an entirely unique character and then in the last few minutes of the movie calling him "Robin". To me that was a cheap way to get idiots to cheer at the theater. Just my opinion though.

I am genuinely disappointed with the movie as Batman is/was my childhood hero and I am massive fan of the comics. I just want a reboot that is Batman...so a comic book movie that is like a comic book as opposed to taking the general plot from the comic and making it "darker" ( hate that word now ) .

I think nothing less of people who enjoyed the movie, it is probably just the fact that I expected more from the movie. I expected Azrael, I expected more Batman mythos to be mentioned. Maybe I'm just stupid.

I really enjoyed the movie. I really wish Nolan was going to do more because these movies are great and this movie just left it open to a lot of really great other stuff. I really liked the flashback at the end when Gordon realizes that it is Bruce Wayne.

see my opinion is kinda contradictory of others now but i thought this WAS a Batman movie, you've got this adaptable masked man in a cape, using stealth, detective skills and genius fighting while using all the tech in his arsenal to get the job done! you've got a real super villain with an evil plan trying to break him at any means necessary, and what they did with Bane and Talia, was really just amazing, i knew it was coming and i was still floored. Also, to all those i said "Catwoman is not Anne Hathaway" i APOLOGIZE, i was SOOOOOO wrong, she was FANTASTIC, also i liked how Nolan kept with year one by giving her her same roommate :)

I saw it last night and my overall impression of the entire trilogy has changed. This went from being a great pilot for a live-action HBO TV series with Batman Begins to being a big-budget imaginary story with The Dark Knight Rises.

I agree with fatcow that this wasn't necessarily a true Batman movie though maybe not for the same reasons. One of the ongoing issues I've had with Nolan's Batman is that he's always seemed to be looking for a way out of the cowl. I could forgive that in the first film because I thought he still hadn't resolved himself to his fate as a career crime-fighter. But in the second film he's practically throwing the cape around Harvey so he can take off with Rachel. After taking the rap for Dent's crime, he retired. This isn't the Batman I was used to seeing.

However, it wasn't a Batman I'd never seen in comics. There had been "imaginary stories" that included scenarios of a married Bruce passing the mantle of the Bat to an adult Robin. These were stories written by Alfred where he imagines a life as normal as it could get for this Bat-family, one that even included a new Robin; Bruce's biological son. In some of those tales he married the original Batwoman, Kathy Kane but in others he married a reformed Selina Kyle so I was very happy so see Alfred's fantasy of Bruce moving on become a reality.

I've always hoped for a Batman film that was as close to the comics as possible. Not a panel-for-panel adaptation like Sin City but one that showed a broad knowledge and deep respect for the venerable source material. What I expected turned out to be far less than what I got. Thanks to the Brothers Nolan, I was thrown a curve ball that I'm ashamed I did not see coming. I really thought I'd seen it all as a life-long fan of The Batman but I was proven wrong and delightfully so.

Of course this isn't a perfect film and I'll leave others to nitpick its flaws, large and small, but my nostalgia bone got seriously tickled last night and I'm still grinning from it.

I did not appreciate Bane just being a big guy with an attitude problem and lots of heart. The very basis of who Bane is is the VENOM...that is what makes him who or rather what he is.

I'm going to have to disagree. I really think the whole basis of Bane - especially in his appearance during Knightfall - was all about the fact that he was this guy who was a physical match for Batman, even WITHOUT the Venom, as well as an intellectual match. Nobody else in Batman's gallery of rogues really meets him on both sides. The Venom is just this super-comic-book-y thing that pushes Bane over the edge so that he is STRONGER than Batman. However, if, in the movie, Bane is FAR stronger than Batman without the need of the Venom, why include the Venom? What purpose would it serve? You still have Bane, the super-strong, super intelligent mercenary. Sure, he doesn't wear a luchadore outfit, but that costume was always extremely silly and not in the least bit intimidating. Costumes change in movies all the time.

The whole John Blake character, while likable was just baffling. Why was he necessary? Why not just call him Tim Drake, Dick Grayson or even Jason Todd...what is the point of developing an entirely unique character and then in the last few minutes of the movie calling him "Robin". To me that was a cheap way to get idiots to cheer at the theater.

Nolan didn't want to give it away straight from the beginning that he was building this guy up to be the next Batman/Robin. There were definitely hints placed - knowing Batman's identity, growing up an orphan, his belief in people and doing good, etc. But if Nolan had just called him "Tim" or "Dick", everyone woulda been all "Oh, Robin. Gotcha". Now, instead, we can appreciate John Blake for what he was in the movie. If he had been called Tim or Dick in the movie, and never donned a cape or cowl, everybody would have thrown a fit. "What a waste of a character! Why even call him (insert your Robin of choices' name here)??" Nolan got to create his own character, whose personality is pulled from the comic book Robin's, while not having to limit himself.

I'm not trying to pick on you on invalidate your opinions. Just giving my view on some of the points you have raised.