UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Character Building - Doctor Who

Aethyr

WARNING : Boring 'bhm '.

In my opinion ...........

This line is proving to be popular ,justifiably so,but so far not as popular as the hype might suggest.

All the typical marketing ploys are being used to milk the market...mainly blind-packaging,secret/chase figures (that as yet remain unseen),mail-away exclusives,army builders,leaky TRU distribution & C3 type kits which inflate the perceived value of the included figure. The latter tactic is working in the same way as it did with the C3 Minimates ....collectors keep the figure but eventually launch the kits. This same scenario is,I believe, happening again with Max vehicles but I digress. Consequently,for example, army-builder 'White dalek' is actually attaining ,on occasion, ebay prices that exceed the price you'd pay for a brand new unopened set! The three exclusive figures released en-masse have now peaked in price & are on the decline ...except the 'Yellow dalek' which again is for army-building & is by far the most sought-after. How many Amy Ponds would anybody want?

The prices that these sets are being pitched at in the US are too steep because however cute these figures are they don't give the impression of having any 'real value' ....that may be just the impression I,just personally ,get. Of course it's not all about price & value but I can tell you this ...despite how good it looks ,no young kid that I know of could build that TARDIS set & play with it for very long before getting upset because it is broken/disassembled.

Cleverer people than me are in charge of the marketing of this line but I think I have at least grasped where they are going with it & you guys in the US will be perceived as the niche market & not the mass market (UK) & niche market buyers will pay a premium to get the goods....I know I collect kubricks :sad:

As for the future.....we'll get dalek,cybermen etc. army building sets for sure & I would imagine that every character we see in a building-set will appear somewhere again .

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the June Previews:

PAGE 415

FI JUN11 1939 DOCTOR WHO CHAR BUILDING TARDIS MINI SET (C: 1-1-4) 09/28/11 SRP: $31.99 = $

FI JUN11 1940 DOCTOR WHO CHAR BUILDING DALEK PROG ROOM MINI SET (C: 1-1-4) 09/28/11 SRP: $24.99 = $

FI JUN11 1941 DOCTOR WHO CHAR BUILDING TIME OF ANGELS MINI SET (C: 1-1-4) 10/26/11 SRP: $24.99 = $

:jawdrop:

That is a lot for these sets. Looks like I was way off about my comic shop comment.

wow this pretty much blows any chance of me getting the Tardis and Dalek sets....

Jeff of the Miniacs

Its ironic that its no different from the price gouging we've had to put up with on Minimates and pretty much every other US item for years.

Go go the UK getting revenge!

June/July for 5 packs

June/July for Tardis Interior, Dalek Factory and Cyberman Playset and 11 Doctors Pack

July/August for Blind Packs Wave 2

(Although Diamond seem to say September for all of them)

Deluxe Tardis Playset (Console Room) - £49.99

Dalek Factory Playset - £29.99

Cyberman Playset - £19.99

11 Doctors Set - £19.99

Dalek/Cyberman/Weeping Angel Army Builder Pack - £9.99

June/July for 5 packs

June/July for Tardis Interior, Dalek Factory and Cyberman Playset and 11 Doctors Pack

July/August for Blind Packs Wave 2

(Although Diamond seem to say September for all of them)

Deluxe Tardis Playset (Console Room) - £49.99

Dalek Factory Playset - £29.99

Cyberman Playset - £19.99

11 Doctors Set - £19.99

Dalek/Cyberman/Weeping Angel Army Builder Pack - £9.99

This is some good stuff to know. Not that I have purchased any of the Military sets yet, but are there larger sets coming out for them as well?

BHM, do you see this line going the way of time squad? Have a single year of sets and then can it.

BHM, do you see this line going the way of time squad? Have a single year of sets and then can it.

A simple answer would be ..."I think this line has some legs" = I reckon we'll have a few series.

It's a very clever concept & credit where credit is due they've done their homework with the marketing .

I remember seeing the 'new' daleks on the show a while back & immediately thinking "...red,yellow,blue (etc.) daleks in a simpler design....these'll be a marketing man's dream" ..& they are aren't they!?

I worked it out that if some of the secret/chase/rare items are available 1:1000..... & if 500 exist, then some of the figures have been produced in numbers of half a million :ohmy::ohmy: .....maybe my math is wrong ot they're lying but that is a f%ckload of merchandise that they are hoping to sell.

The toy 'market' in the UK is totally different to the N.American market ....kids generally buy toys here...& the success (or not) of these is dependent upon kids ,young kids. We'll see!

I worked it out that if some of the secret/chase/rare items are available 1:1000..... & if 500 exist, then some of the figures have been produced in numbers of half a million :ohmy::ohmy: .....maybe my math is wrong or they're lying but that is a f%ckload of merchandise that they are hoping to sell.

Hmmm, if you math is correct my good sir, I wonder if Underground Toys will just dip their hands in that large pool or if they will manufacture a new batch.

Does someone here know if Underground Toys has a supply produced/manufactured for them direct from China (or wherever) when they decide to release figures over here or if they simply take leftover warehouse stock from Character and repackage it.

I am very curious about the North American release of this series. If they do have their own supply made from factories, will the Super Rares be in this series? If they are, will this change the number of Super rares from 500 and 100 of each character to 1000 and 200?

The BBC & the way it is run is probably a discussion for another forum but bearing in mind I don't really subscribe to any other forum then I'd just like to point out at that like many other British institutions it is living in the past. Can you imagine Marvel(e.g.) giving one toy company sole rights to anything? The BBC in its wisdom :rolleyes: gave the sole rights to sell Doctor Who merchandise in North America to Underground Toys .

I have researched as best I can the background of the company that is known as Underground Toys & the further I looked the more suspiciousinteresting it became. I'll say no more on here about it.

IMO items that will ship to the US/Canada will be identical to the stuff sold here in every respect but my 'conspiracy theory' head says that those secret items might turn up quicker over there than they have here .....thus encouraging adult collectors.

Considering how badly the DW Micro Universe figures were f*cked up with regards to distribution of rares, theres probably one shop somewhere with a god case containing EVER sodding super rare.

(For those who don't know DW Micro Universe was a line done by Character which has a lot of similarities to Heroclix, the figures were blind packed and comprised of rares/uncommons and commons, although they never admitted it half of the figures weren't even in the blind packs for like the first 6 months leading to some VERY pissed off collectors)

• 2 weeks later...

I got some of the HM Armed Forces blind packs in the mail the other day. I was surprised by how much I likes them. I am really enjoying the whole range of Character building. I hope the get more licenses and have lots more Doctor Who sets.

• 2 weeks later...

I like these, I was able to get the Eternal Dalek and Amy from the Daily Mall ones. I'm still debating on just getting the blind bag box from bbts and keeping what I want and trying to sell off the rest.

These are nice and take up a lot less shelf space than the CO figures which I had started to regret selling off.

That £200 auction seems a little odd in many ways & I'll be interested to see what transpires with similar auctions. I'm trying to think of a similar item ,Minimate or kubrick that would command such a bid .......very few.

I also noticed that the 11 Doctors sets are hitting ebay,is this old news?

http://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/character-building-eleven-doctors-set/

Edited by buttheadsmate