UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Captain America movie Minimates

groundhog7s

I don't see where we've started a thread for this so I thought I'd start one (sorry if there's already another).

Chuck posted this a few minutes ago on twitter:

Waiting to hear back from the studio if we can show the Captain America single figure mix in this months Previews- 5 hours to go.

Can we assume this will be a single-pack case like the Thor movie?

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this pushes through, I am just one Hugo Weaving Red Skull away from my silly imaginary Minimate reenactment of the V For Vendetta movie! (Wait a second, the LOTR Elrond mate was Hugo Weaving too, right? Never mind.)

At this rate though, I think we're now at least guaranteed that movie WWII Cap we'd been seeing all over the previews so far. (Even if at the very least it'll be an absurdly shortpacked TRU exclusive essential character *grumblegrumblemovieBlackWidowgrumblegrumble*)

Now I wish I'd be able to find a Minimate-scale replica of one of those neat WWII-era motorcycles for display:

messenger.jpg

I will grin like a Cheshire Cat if we get some German soldiers . All the current Cap books & their spin-off titles feature Nazis.....even present day American ones ....but I don't reckon we'll get anything too 'hot potato', more's the pity :angry:

I think it has already been confied that Cap will be fighting Hydra-Nazis. They look exactly like Nazis but with Hydra sybols where the swastikas should be.

I always get people. I'll doodle a swastika or something, and someone will ask about it, and I'll say "It's a Manji, the Japanese symbol for life." That shuts them up. I was actually doodling a comic TBH, and it wasn't a Manji. We'll just say lets hope no one ever finds me school books and leave it at that. :P

I'm not bothered about the symbols but I can understand that it can hit a nerve with alot of ppl.

I was going to go on and post about about Punks and Bikers using the swastika to still hit that exact same nerve nowdays but its a bit past it now.

I find it amusing that say something like the confederacy flag has bad connections in the past now is by most ppl worldwide just means nothing more then to stand up against "the man" in a rebel sense, And I put that down to the Dukes of Hazzard.

Maybe Eva Braun should have worn short shorts!

No, the confederate flag still brings a horrible image to my mind. Of course, it's having Thanksgiving in my step-brother's garage where he flies a gigantic confedrate flag. He's a jerk who always gives my wife that creepy once-over look.

Edited by groundhog7s

TBH if you were just doodling swastikas, I'm happy to hear people asked you about it, seeing as the symbol's still actively used by Neo-Nazi groups. If you were drawing comics of WW2 German soldiers then that's something else entirely.

I think it's a bit silly not to use Nazis in the movie, but I still wouldn't buy a Minimate of one. Seeing it in a movie's one thing, but I think it's the act of "displaying" a swastika in my home that would be the problem for me, even on a toy -- I know others can put these things in their proper historical context and that's great, but I just wouldn't want to look at that every day. :confused:

I find it amusing that say something like the confederacy flag has bad connections in the past now is by most ppl worldwide just means nothing more then to stand up against "the man" in a rebel sense, And I put that down to the Dukes of Hazzard.

Actually, the Confederate Flag still burns people here in the States. In the South, brandishing the confederate flag frequently starts fights with minorities. While many claim its purpose is to celebrate Southern heritage, the actual purpose tends to signal very anti-black feelings and redneck solidarity. In my life I have met hundreds of people who publically display the Confederate flag. All of them are racists. Perhaps not "KKK burning a cross" racist, but racist none the less.

Not trying to stir up anything ... but as we all know symbols mean different things to different people. No offense intended towards Southerners, but there is much Southern heritage to celebrate that doesn't include the flag. My wife is from California and she is frequently surprised by the stories I tell her. California is far more diverse and I rarely see the Confederate flag out here.

I think thats it, different things to different ppl. This subject has no real right or wrong final answer on the symbolism thing.

Back to minimates I would be quite happy with a WWII German soldier like the Brickarms minifig http://www.brickarms.com/Toys/minifigs/Johann.aspx

It has no symbols but you instantly know what it is.

Is anybody else here reading Captain America comics at the moment ? If there is I'd dearly love their input because ,although it is rare, I do need a little support on what I'm trying to say here . I'm not trying to promote or decry anything & I always try & remain within MMMV guidelines which isn't always easy. My issue is that the current Marvel Captain America story-lines are completely obsessed with Bucky Cap fighting Nazis either in the present day or in WW2 flashbacks. The CA 'Forever Allies' Mini-series set partly in WW2 incorporates a sub-plot which addresses the domestic racism that was rife in the US at that time which is to be applauded........ & a swastika on every other page . It is Marvel that is setting the bar with this not me & my bone of contention is why DST doesn't just follow the lead & depict the characters shown in the comics or the movie ??

I fully realise that Minimates are toys ,kids buy toys & moms explain the questions asked about the toys by the kids.

Any kid of mine would be given a truthful answer every time but I'm not sure how I'd explain what the 4 American characters in the 'Platoon' Minimate set got up to in the movie ? They're just fine though .....no scary insignia.....just toys.

Captain America is not 'Batman' & he 'became because' of the Nazis during WW2..... not because Commissioner Gordon had a problem with a grinning super-villain.

Why sanitise the legend?

Edited by buttheadsmate

While I've not read the Cap America comics, I'm fairly certain I know what you mean Rob, and certainly understand your point.

I don't think there should be a problem with a swastika on a toy, it doesn't mean fascism is being supported in anyway, etc. but I can understand a company like Marvel deciding against using such symbols on there toys... there will be complains, thats what people are like. It does seem like a case of double standards or what not, but I suppose removing accurate symbols from toys is just the same as changing the names of characters.

It all seems similar to when Mattalica made the first Hitler mate, he received a pretty silly backlash from some corners.

As for kids seeing things and asking questions, this is certainly a case for including these symbols, I for one think its important kids know about groups like Nazis, people understand who there where and what they did, etc. There are few greater threats in this world than ignorance itself. In terms of comic characters, etc. as well... acknowledging Cap was created as a symbol against such powers only enhances and helps demonstrate what is so special about the man himself.

without wanting to open a whole new can o' worms... I wonder if its a British/American thing

While I've not read the Cap America comics, I'm fairly certain I know what you mean Rob, and certainly understand your point.

I don't think there should be a problem with a swastika on a toy, it doesn't mean fascism is being supported in anyway, etc. but I can understand a company like Marvel deciding against using such symbols on there toys... there will be complains, thats what people are like. It does seem like a case of double standards or what not, but I suppose removing accurate symbols from toys is just the same as changing the names of characters.

It all seems similar to when Mattalica made the first Hitler mate, he received a pretty silly backlash from some corners.

As for kids seeing things and asking questions, this is certainly a case for including these symbols, I for one think its important kids know about groups like Nazis, people understand who there where and what they did, etc. There are few greater threats in this world than ignorance itself. In terms of comic characters, etc. as well... acknowledging Cap was created as a symbol against such powers only enhances and helps demonstrate what is so special about the man himself.

without wanting to open a whole new can o' worms... I wonder if its a British/American thing

it is illegal to even have a swastika on anything in Germany. This could also be a reason to not have it on there. It would be easier and cheaper to create one universal product than to give each region to separate designs

I think there's a difference between depicting Nazis in comics or in movies- where the creators can clearly maintain their intention to depict Nazis as villains- then it is to make an inert piece of plastic. I think the ultimate nightmare for a toy company would be to make a toy of a Nazi villain, and then having it show up in the hands of children at Neo-Nazi rallies. Far fetched? Perhaps, but why take the chance?