UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Funkguerilla's Customs

Normally, I'm not one for making customs. I either don't have the skill, patience, or motivation to make figures that are exclusively my own. Until this year, that is.

I've been jamming on some Quick Customs recently, to varied success, which really whetted my appetite for something more. So I present to you, my very first truly custom figure: 8-Ball.

For those not in the know, 8-Ball was a villain for Marvel's Sleepwalker in the early 1990s who has only made sporadic appearances since. You can read more on <a href="http://platypusrobot.blogspot.com/2010/12/exploring-insa-nineties-8-ball.html" target="_blank">my blog</a>, if you pardon the blatant plug.

Hope you like it.

post-2762-1294105428_thumb.jpg

Edited by funkguerilla

Very nice work. I'm impressed that you could make him hold that fireman's hook, which I've never been able to make a Minimate do. One suggestion: you might want to try the chest from Hydro Man for him; it's got very nice blue highlights that would really make him stand out and match your subject matter more.

Hey, thanks for the compliments everyone!

Very nice work. I'm impressed that you could make him hold that fireman's hook, which I've never been able to make a Minimate do. One suggestion: you might want to try the chest from Hydro Man for him; it's got very nice blue highlights that would really make him stand out and match your subject matter more.

two things:

1- Yeah that fireman's hook is a bitch. It's really just a prop for him to lean on, but not really hold on to. It works much better than anything else though.

2- I would absolutely do that if I had a HydroMan. He's one of the only minimates that have slipped past me.

Here's me, pimping my blog again. I hope you don't mind. This time I talk about all the quick customs I've made. Not only do I think it's relevant to your interests, but I think it's pretty awesome. Take the time, give it a look.

http://platypusrobot.blogspot.com/2011/01/...-minimates.html

I promise, it's a blog that keeps on giving... at least three times a week...

• 1 month later...

I'm at it again, this time with a QC instead of a full on job.

With the help of The Red Skull (From Bring on the Bad Guys), Jodie Foster (from Silence of the Lambs), and Willem Dafoe (from Platoon), I give you The Mad Thinker!

Now you too can have a fat lump that sits around and ponders while others act. Or you know, you could just pretend he doesn't exist, like most of the Marvel U tries to do.

post-2762-1297985223_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm back with my most awesome QC ever: Orson Randall.

I've had this one in my head since I first saw that new Iron Fist. I just traded pants with Willem Dafoe (him again), the shield holder from Bucky, added the head from the good X-Force Wolverine, and BOOM! The golden age Iron Fist lives again. I'm so ridiculously stoked I'm almost embarrassed... almost.

But wait, my customization didn't end there. As an added bonus, I found a way to make that dull White Tiger a bit more interesting. After exercising some of my formidable Marvel knowledge, I remembered the short lived replacement to the Black Panther turned hero in his own right, Kasper Cole. Ol' Kas was simply the White Tiger with guns, so I tossed on a trenchcoat (courtesy of GB2's Janosz) and a few left over guns and KABLOOMERS! Kasper Cole.

Fun times guys. Fun times. I hope you like'em as much as I do.

post-2762-0-65752200-1301250877_thumb.jp

post-2762-0-29558300-1301250919_thumb.jp

• 10 months later...

Hey Guys! I'm back with another big batch of QCs. Check it out!

BlackPanther.jpg

First up, Black Panther: The Most Dangerous Man Alive. All I did is toss the SWAT agent vest onto the existing Black Panther with some pads from the MAX Search and Rescue guys and blammo! Also, I added the X-Force Wolverine treaded boots for some added texture.

SharonCarter.jpg

Next up is my version of the Sharon Carter that everyone has. For added umph, I designed her after her outfit in Secret Avengers 18, in which she wore a funky gauntlet and had a bit more silver going on in her costume. You can see what I'm going forhere.

RickJones.jpg

Finding the best use for that Civil War Cap Jacket, here's Marvel Universes greatest sidekick (Sorry, Bucky): Rick Jones. With a torso from a BttF2 Marty McFly, a head from one of the Angels, and some kind of hari, I think he's ready to run alongside my heroes into battle.

NickFury.jpg

I missed the real release a few years back, so I have to make due with my off-duty Nick Fury. Using a Patch head and a MAX Search and Rescue torso, I feel like I nailed it.

Namorita.jpg

I got this idea from someone here, I think. Basically, by using the Lady Loki torso, some bare legs, and some left over Namor ankle wings, I was able to make a semblance of her. I took some liberty with the hair to make it a bit more modern, but that's only because I didn't want to take the ponytail off of Sabertooth or Thunderstrike.

Clor.jpg

Hey look, it's everyone's favorite Not-Thor, Clor! I just grabbed a head off of a T2 Arnold and stuck it on the old, bulkier Thor body to get the right look. As an added detail, I gave him the movie Thor hammer because it looks more Tech-y than the full on stone Mjlonir in the recent releases.

headsman.jpg

Finally, I took a page from undeadpool's QC, and made myself a Headsman.

Thanks for checking it all out. I hope you dig it!

Very nice. Love your Rick Jones, and that Fury is pretty damn sweet. I think you've done a marvelous job of creating him. I hope DST re-dose him one day. He's one character i'd love an update of.

• 11 months later...

With the sudden influx of Venom's, I found myself with an overabundance of black spider-man parts which leads to only one thing: The new dark Spider-Man, Ai Apeac.

Using that great piece from the 6-armed Spidey (painted black), the mask from the Mac Gargan Dark Spidey (I liked the detail), and the torso from one of those new Venoms (which admittedly I should have turned around), I got the greatest Spider-God ever to exist in adorable 2-inch scale.

AiApaec_zpsd968e662.jpg

Hope you like it!

• 2 years later...

Jeez, I haven't updated this thread in a while. Crazypants!

Whatever. Anyway, I've been tackling a big restructure of my setup and took the opportunity to make a couple of fun QC's I thought you might dig.

The first is the breakout star of Contest of Champions (hopefully) Outlaw!

image_zpsuhmsdsmr.jpg

Better known as the British Punisher, this guy was tossed together using a Best of Luke Cage head, beanie, and jacket with a dark blue Punisher chest and some kinda jeans. He's gonna look great with my street level heroes. Or maybe next to Union Jack... Hmmm...

Anyway, next up is the one I'm REALLY proud of: Hammerhead.

image_zpstpgaclqo.jpg

Using the body of the Ghostbuster's Mayor, JJJ's vest, the lumpy looking forehead from the TRU Absorbing Man, and an old hairpiece (back before they had the peg in them), he looks like a mob boss ready to start some trouble. I debated about throwing him in a suit (either the green from Daredevil or the blue from JJJ) but ultimately decided I like him with his sleeves rolled and ready for action.

Anyway, hope you dig'em! Now I gotta get back to work.

• 1 year later...

A year plus later, I got another great quick custom.  Well, "great" if you appreciate oft-forgotten, w-level characters as much as I do that is.

This time it's everyone's favorite android impersonator, ALBERT The Robot Wolverine.

HTOtOlT.jpg

Finally, all them robot parts are working for me.  

So basically I took an old Wolverine hairpiece (a smooth one before they started adding all the texture), a battle-damaged terminator head (and foot), a Cable body (the one that came with the weird V chestpiece), the shoulderpads from Avalance, The Bionic Commando's arm (and boot), and a thigh piece from the Ultimate Iron Man, threw it in a blender and Bam, Imitation Wolverine.

Now if I could just figure out how to make an Elsie Dee...