UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Smartphones?

Ivan

Apropos of nothing, really nothing at all...

I'm curious as to what smartphones folks around here are using. OS version would be helpful too if you know. For example, Nexus One on Android 2.2, or HTC Incredible on Android 2.1, or an iPhone with iOS 4.1, etc.

I purchased an HTC Evo last summer which is currently running Android 2.2. I'm not really a heavy phone user, but this has been a very nice device to have around. It's really turned a second brain for me. Just wish the battery life was better. After the latest system 'upgrade' from Sprint, I'm thinking about rooting it but I don't think I'm there yet.

I have a pocket full of quarters...

Actually that's not so far from the truth, I have a 3+ yr old Nokia that doesn't even have a color screen or camera on it.

I will admit that the whole shift towards data rather than "minutes" is making me wonder if I should consider a 'smart phone'.

T.

In the last few years I have had 2 HTC phones back when they used to run the old Windows Mobile, an iPhone 3G (jailbroken), and currently use an iPhone 4 with iOS 4 (Jailbroken). I liked the HTC phones I had but the iPhone is by far the best smartphone I have ever seen. I'm not sure there is anything it can not do.

I love my iPhone. Such a useful device. Apple have their knockers and complaints about closed systems but the iPhone does everything I want it to do. (except play flash video) :D

Mate showed me his HTC wildfire the other week and I was very impressed with that too. The interface is easily as responsive as the iPhone.

I'm using a HTC G1 (Dream in the UK) running Android 2.2 (cyanogenmod) and overclocked. I've never replaced the SD card or the battery, so it's starting to lag. I'll soon upgrade, probably to the G2 (Dream Z). I prefer Android, but the iOS and the iPhone make a great phone, and the iPhone 4 is one of the best looking phones on the market, but, like the Nexus S, it feels to me a little like a stop-gap.

Ivan, if you're running Froyo (2.2) now, you might want to wait until CyanogenMod has a Gingerbread (2.3) build ready before you root. Unless there's just something really annoying that Sprint adds.

Thanks everyone. I'm surprised to see so many iPhones, but I guess I really shouldn't be. :) May need to rethink my roadmap.

And thanks for the tip on Gingerbread, Turtle. I think I can hold out in exchange for not having to do it twice. I knew 2.3 was on the horizon, but I didn't know how close.

I have the iPhone 3GS and really love it. I was real close to buying the HTC Android and went with it instead.

I've got the Sony Xperia 10 it's a neat little gadget but, since it's my first "smart" phone I've got nothing to compare it to although I will say that I guy at work has one of the newer blackberries and we were playing the same youtube video and my phone seemed to play it better (his phone kept stopping to load I suppose).

I have owned every version of the iPhone, currently I'm running an iPhone 4 with iOS 4.2.1. I have nothing but positive stuff to say about the iPhone. It is like an extension of my person and I would never at this point NOT own an iPhone. I cannot recommend it high enough!!

Now, on the flip side, if you are looking to get into the smartphone game, I've heard a lot of good things about Windows Phone 7 and have managed to play around with several. I really like them, much more than any Droid phone. The best WP7 feature though is Xbox Live. If I was just getting into the game I think I would lean toward the WP7 (Samsung on ATT, HTC HD7 on TMobile). It would be worth your research, especially if you requent Xbox Live!

neo