UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

MAX Box Set brings female cop and ethnicity

when does the Indian minimate come out?

And will the backs of the cards tell me which minimates are gay, or will that be evident? :P

Does it really bother you that much that they're trying to diversify the toy line?

I get that you're just trying to crack a few jokes, but it seems way off base. If I were a Black, Asian, Native American, or even Indian kid, I would totally want the opportunity to make my toys look like me. I would like it more if they were easier to find, but hey, whatever.

And that's not political correctness, that's just recognizing the fact that not everyone who collects toys, or does the jobs that are represented by these figures, are white guys.

I'm just saying.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its more a matter of the heavy-handed approach to diversity. They even point out that they're being diverse in the product description.

I'm all for a diverse line. With all the extra parts packed in with the figures, I'm surprised they didn't just toss in a few extra heads in the TRU so we could do the part swap ourselves.

I think its more a matter of the heavy-handed approach to diversity. They even point out that they're being diverse in the product description.

Possibly due to the criticism levelled at DST when wave 1 of MAX was released. These aren't aimed at adult collectors. These are aimed at kids and intended to be played with. Why shouldn't there be a mix of different races in the assortments? Some people are making far more of this than is necessary. This isn't political correctness gone mad. What BHM described on the first page of the thread is Political Correctness gone mad. This is a toy line that is quite rightly aimed at all members of U.S. society. What is wrong with that?

While we're at it, can I remind all members that there are rules on this forum regarding discrimination. Please don't step over that line.

I'm all for a diverse line. With all the extra parts packed in with the figures, I'm surprised they didn't just toss in a few extra heads in the TRU so we could do the part swap ourselves.

Exactly. The heavy-handedness just seems counterproductive to the overall goal of achieving equality.

the word "diversity"...a constant reminder to keep that long-ago forged line of division running deep, from people that see us all as numbers on a page anyway.

Edited by featofstrength

Okay, BACK on the m.a.x. subject, I think if anything warranted an expansion pack, this would. We get a bloody ton of extras in each pack. Drgn's suggesting of extra heads would work really good with an accessory pack. Some of the stuff we wouldn't get otherwise. Maybe a weapons pack or something. Or they can package them with the vehicles. Either way, I think it's on to something.

I'll wait until someone get them in hand and shares some photos until I make a decision, but I'm pretty sure this is set is a pass. I doubt there will be any new accessories, or even tampos underneath the gear. What a sad attempt at something, I'm not really even sure what they were going for. This line has such potential, for collectors and kids, and they seem to be failing, or not investing into the line. My response when I opened up my first max series one set of the cops and I took of the swat gear and saw an empty blue chest underneath, I thought, "Shit, I bought a mis-manufactured one." So I bought another, same deal. And I thought, "well this can't be right. This is cheap."

So unless I can display these mates without all that bulky gear, or the set comes with cool new accessories, I can't imagine wasting my money on it. And that is what I would be doing, wasting my money.

And will the backs of the cards tell me which minimates are gay, or will that be evident? :P

There is a Shatterstar minimate now right?

It's actually the civillian Ultimate Northstar & Colossus 2-pack in their prom-date attire :P

I thought Colossus and Kitty were a thing? Or were before he dies. And then came back. And then she dies. Is she still dead?

Ultimate Colossus is the gay one. Alternate continuity, remember?

Kitty's not "dead" anymore. Magneto brought her back somehow. Though she's apparently having trouble controlling her phasing powers now.

And for the last time, Admiral Cain and Gina from BSG. Batwoman and Renee Montoya from DC. Why do people always forget the lesbians? :P

I thought Colossus and Kitty were a thing? Or were before he dies. And then came back. And then she dies. Is she still dead?

Kitty's not "dead" anymore. Magneto brought her back somehow. Though she's apparently having trouble controlling her phasing powers now.

And for the last time, Admiral Cain and Gina from BSG. Batwoman and Renee Montoya from DC. Why do people always forget the lesbians? :P

Because DC stands for "doesn't count" :tongue:

don't forget Mr Sulu!!!!

I can't form a good opinion on this line yet as my TRU hasn't received any of the MAX line so I haven't been able to pick up the pack or two that I want so that I can make a decision whether I want to buy more. The pictures by themselves just don't impress me that much.

issues of 'highlighting diversity', political correctness or just generally missing the point aside, I'm glad this set is available to those of you after it. I'll pass, as the only MAX fellas I've picked up so far are the Law Enforcement chaps.

that said, I've always just considered the heads on the MAX 2-packs to be little more than place holders... I've already got at least one strong but silent black guy, and a Latino woman... with bigger cahoonas then most the sorry excuses for blokes on the damn force, etc

Yeah, I just got done organizing the MAX guys, so no two heads are alike. It's really excited, as the personalities really shine through, and I've already got back stories on most of them. Think there's any chance DST would be interested?

Really, I'm all for head reuse, but these guys are leaving me cold for some reason. I don't know if it's the blatant photoshops or the lack of outstanding repaints, but I'm just not feeling these. Then again, using heads from other lines is a lot better than using the same head 8 times. Though I wish they'd realized that from the start.

don't forget Mr Sulu!!!!

Was Sulu really gay? I thought it was just George Takei.

don't forget Mr Sulu!!!!

Was Sulu really gay? I thought it was just George Takei.

No, just George. He lives here in Houston. The news stations get his reaction everytime something gay happens, like in California or when we elected our new mayor. It's kinda funny really.