UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Thor movie minimates

minijeff

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pleasant surprise in the mailbox today, I got my series 39 Thor movie set from Corner Store Comics today! Over all pretty nice set that I am happy with. I was on the fence with the 2011 movie 'mates, but Destroyer, Odin & Jane were comic-ish enough for me to want and I at least wanted Agent Coulson to hang with my Iron Man movie 'mates.

My army dump case is in route from Luke now, so I can not compare these to those quality-wise but they seem OK overall. Not the worst batch and not the best. Plastic seems a bit too shiny, kind of cheap. A bit lacking in the accessory department as well.

Thor: helmet, hair-piece & hammer

Destroyer: nada

Odin: Spear

Loki: nada

Jane: nada

Agent Coulson: megaphone & pistol

Frost Giants: looks to be the same as the dump case version: lots of armor, powerhouse chest piece, no weapons. :(

If anyone wants pics LMK and I will see what I can do. I need a good suggestion for a new photo-hosting site. I have a photobucket account but never liked it.

S

id love to see pics of thor, destroyer and coulson

what does the skin tone on thor, jane, etc look like?

Not too bad, maybe a bit of a tan but decent overall. They are a bit shiny plastic, so a that is a big distracting. Jane's arms & crotch are cast in purple plastic that's a shade or two off from the body paint.

Odin's skin tone looks good. Coulson's megaphone is cast in an odd almost flash-like color.

Pics tomorrow.

mates_thor1.jpg

I almost like him better with hair than helmet but I with the variants and civilian Thor I will have plenty to display w/hair.

mates_odin1.jpg

Nice likeness to Sir Hopkins, nice sculpted details and decent tampos. Just the cheaper plastic makes them a bit shiny.

mates_loki1.jpg

Better looking and brighter color than prototypes but still kind of dull, wish he had at least ONE accessory to spruce him up. A sword would raise my opinion of him greatly.

mates_jane01.jpg

Jacket print doesn't match the purple plastic, the flash really brings it out more then in person. It would have been nice if DST could have done the prototype version.

mates_frostgiant1.jpg

OK but like Loki really needs a weapon accessory. Paint aps are the weakest on him, the flash really brings out the imperfections.

mates_destroyer01.jpg

I like how DST pulled him off. Sculpted spikes would have been a real nice touch but I knew that would never happen. The head piece works for his noggin. Some sort of blast accessory would have been nice, even something recycled like Ultron's red hand blasts would have worked for me.

mates_agentc01.jpg

Plain but nice. Good actor likeness. The megaphone is an odd pale flesh color. Making it solid white would have looked better IMO, but it is a fun new accessory at least. Standard pistol.

Overall happy with the series, flesh plastic is a bit on the tan side but the big draw-back is the cheap "shiny" quality the plastic has.

Like I've been saying for a while ....there are two distinctly different types of Minimate now & for the first time ever I'm thinking of cutting back on what I buy.

I'm grateful for the pics but it seems that each character suffers from ill-matched coloured parts ....is that the case?

edit:sp.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Like I've been saying for a while ....there are two distictly different types of Minimate now & for the first time ever I'm thinking of cutting back on what I buy.

I'm grateful for the pics but it seems that each character suffers from ill-matched coloured parts ....is that the case?

Yeah, but it's not quite as bad as the camera flash makes it out to be. Jane's is noticeable in person w/o flash, at first I thought the idea was that she's wearing a vest. Agent Coulson you don't notice in person at all, the jacket is a different plastic than the body of course and it reflects lights differently in the picture.

The rest match up fairly well, maybe a bit off in gloss/satin finishes due to the cheaper grade plastic. I feel better about these then I do the quality of TRU wave 9. Maybe it was the disspontment after the long hunt, but those were a major let down in person.

I don't think the Thor wave looks too bad in person, I was pleasantly surprised overall after being on the fence about more movie 'mates. But then again, like I said I see a vest on Jane when I look at her. ;)

S

Edited by rocket

Bit of a shame really, it does seem these 'flawed factory' mates aren't going away, and this surely must be addressed. That said, if we know some mates will suffer, and those turn out to be the movie mates, for me that's better than sloppy comic version of new characters (in my books, anyway).

Odin still looks very cool, I think that'll be the only 2-pack I get now. Shame, was considering the entire wave.

i agree, i had high hopes for this wave and im sad to see the quality suffered so much. im still excited to add the destroyer and odin to my collection and the parts are still cool but i was actually thinking about having a serious movie display and now i dont think these would look very good with cap,ironman and hulk. i hope the boxset thats coming out will be better quality.

Got my set of Wave 39 from CSC today and I like them. The difference in the colors shown in the pictures above really isn't noticeable in person, except on the frost giant. (I'd recommend Frost Giant #2 from the army builder set, over the frost giant from the 2-packs. He's much better, even if he's less bulky).

I think Odin and Destroyer fit well in with the comic-based mates as well and I'm glad to have them.

However, I definitely think these come from the "bad factory" due to the tinted flesh color and duller colors.

Overall, I like them, and they are a solid B, not an A+ though due to coloring issues and lack of accessories.

Heeeeeyyyyy...

Lukey Luke Luke Luke Luke Luke... Lukerton... (lolz? hehe)

Any chance you might be making a set of just the 5 Thor Single-Pack Army Dumps available for order any time in the nearish future? I think I'm on the verge of a big minimate order for series 37, 39 and a few other misc box sets and things I have yet to pick up... and the army builders fall under that misc heading...

But ideally I kinda don't want to drop fiddy-five bones on a full case of 12 if I can avoid it... since I'm not really an... extensive army-building kinda guy.

IN any event, figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Little strapped for cash atm, so I doubt I'll be jumping right on anything immediately anyway. ;)

Followup question: Will you be restocking the heroic age boxed set at anytime soon, or is that pretty much a dead issue? 'Cause that's another thing on my misc list, which I thought you had, 'til I tried to add it to a cart and said, "Oh, guess not" lol

Any chance you might be making a set of just the 5 Thor Single-Pack Army Dumps available for order any time in the nearish future? I think I'm on the verge of a big minimate order for series 37, 39 and a few other misc box sets and things I have yet to pick up... and the army builders fall under that misc heading...

If Luke is not, I only plan to keep a set of the unique and sell/trade off the rest of my army builder case. Let me know if interested, I should have my case in the next day or two and will be happy to let the extras go for my cost + shipping.

All claimed!

S

Edited by rocket

Heeeeeyyyyy...

Lukey Luke Luke Luke Luke Luke... Lukerton... (lolz? hehe)

But ideally I kinda don't want to drop fiddy-five bones on a full case of 12 if I can avoid it... since I'm not really an... extensive army-building kinda guy.

IN any event, figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Little strapped for cash atm, so I doubt I'll be jumping right on anything immediately anyway. ;)

Followup question: Will you be restocking the heroic age boxed set at anytime soon, or is that pretty much a dead issue? 'Cause that's another thing on my misc list, which I thought you had, 'til I tried to add it to a cart and said, "Oh, guess not" lol

We won't be selling the Thor army builders separately, as the cases were allocated, so we were not able to get as many as we wanted, and we only have 12 left. But we were able to get more of the Cap army builders, so those will be sold both separately and as full cases. We are trying to get more of the TRU heroic age set, but we have not had any luck yet. Thanks for your interest!

SELLING:

Thor dump figure singles. Still in box.

Asgardian Royal Guard QTY X2

Frost Giant 1 QTY X3

Frost Giant 2 QTY X3

$5.25 each ($5 each if you take them all) plus USPS shipping, either First Class Mail, Parcel Post or Priority Mail.

If you want them loose I can put them in a padded envelope to maybe ship cheaper (they are really light weight so it will not make much difference.)

International shipping via $14 USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate box (for one to seven, sadly eight will not fit unless one goes loose.

Payment by PayPal.

PM if interested! Thanks!