UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 41

minijeff

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why ANOTHER classic Iron Man? Four not enough? Why not change it up with an Iron Man 2020 or another Themed suit? And why is it we have three versions of the Green Goblin, but they all look the same? I was really hoping that this Goblin was going to reflect his newer, post-2000 look.

He looks very similar to this. I'm sure it is a slightly different model, but dang. Who was clamoring for this one? I guess DST does eventually want to release every single Iron Man incarnation from the comics.

its supposed to be the one from the tales of suspense cover right? with ironmans first apearance and all, i think they were going for a wave to get new fans but they didnt want a ton of modern versions that everyone was complaining about so they decided to go old school....WAY old school :P i think the only stuff that i have gripes with is the age of x stuff which is obviously extreme prototypes and i wish the hulk was a little less(?) bulky :blink: everything else looks top notch to me :D

I guess you're right. I though it wasn't first appearance Iron Man since he didn't have his antenna. But he doesn't seem to have it on the cover to his first appearance (though his armor on the insert picture on the left side does appear to have it):

ironman.jpg

I forgot to add that I think that Spidey/Goblin pack is awesome. No, AWESOME!

That would be Vampire Jubilee and Dracula, from the recent Curse of the Mutants storyline.

Ooookay then. No Kang, or Wrecking Crew, or Nighthawk/Hellcat 2-pack ( :D ), but we get freakin' Vampire Jubilee and "Dracula" that looks like some generic 90s X-Men villain. Wonderful.

And surely you guys knew this Hulk was coming after the recent Things. Of course it sucks, but we should have all seen it coming a mile away :)

I've already got the definitive Hulk in my Defenders version, but you can't fault DST for trying to give folks enough different versions that they can pick their own. . .or create their own best FrankenHulk from the parts of the various existing figures.

Soooooooo agree with everything you said, Karamazov, right down to Defenders Hulk being your "show" Hulk. Really, really annoyed that we are getting MORE X-Men themed box sets. It's complete overkill at this point, and a real downer for those of us that are not fans of the property. We still somehow can't get Kang, Ka-Zar, Quasar, Black Knight, Falcon, or Mockingbird made, but we get our FOURTH Psylocke/Betsy Braddock figure? Sinister and Nimrod are very nice, though, I'll grant you.

The Spidey/Goblin pack is a pretty clever way to get another Spidey out there.

I wish that someone at DST would take a walk into a TRU and see how many Iron Man sets are still sitting there from last year. They have so overestimated the popularity of this property. That set, with the Hulk, is going to be warming pegs at both TRUs and comic book stores for months to come. Can we just go ahead and give that Hulk the Worst Minimate of 2011 crown we are surely going to be giving it this time next year?

Not disappointed in the 'mates themselves (for the most part), but very bummed by the character selection.

Edited by hellpop

Would anyone else love to see more Age of Apocalypse characters as the variant? Imagine a bulked up Colossus with an AoA Colossus as the variant...

THIS!!! i was hoping this was how sunfire was originally gonna happen

Would anyone else love to see more Age of Apocalypse characters as the variant? Imagine a bulked up Colossus with an AoA Colossus as the variant...

Pure genius. I would be up for that.

And I for one would rather get a few more X-related things this year than see any First Class movie mates. And frankly, I expect the end of this year and next year will be very Avengers heavy.

And that Betsy fits in perfectly with the New Mutants they've released since (I'm pretty sure) she wore that when she was first with them.

Yes, a thousand times, yes.

Make the Colossus regular minimate be from the 90s to complete the Blue/Gold teams there and one of my favorite team looks will finally be completed in minimate form. AoA as the variant would just be extra icing on that cake. ^_^

And that Betsy fits in perfectly with the New Mutants they've released since (I'm pretty sure) she wore that when she was first with them.

When was she with the New Mutants? She wore that costume when she joined the X-Men, then went to the hooded look pretty quickly. That costume was designed by Alan Davis, and really only looked good when he drew it.

Right on! Of course, then we might get some Generation X box sets:

Banshee

Sabertooth

Jubilee

Harvest

TRU 2-Pack

Emma w/ Phalanx drone

Modern Emma w/Phalanx drone

Emplate

Mondo

Synch

Black Tom

TRU 2-Pack

M w/Penance

Modern M w/Penance

(This way, when you removed the Penance armor, you'd have M's twin sisters)

Generation Next (AOA)

Shadowcat

Illyana

Skin

Sugarman

Husk w/Infinite

616 Husk w/Infinite

Not that I PARTICULARLY want any of these, but a modern M for Jamie to bedevil would be great, a Black Tom for Juggernaut would be awesome, and a Sugarman would be insane.

Really, the four pack I'd most like to see right now?

Blue and Yellow Forge

Blue and Yellow Banshee

Moira MacTaggert

Blue and Yellow Wolverine (just cause I know it would happen anyways)

I honestly didn't even realize that was Betsy Braddock until you guys started mentioning it. And that's probably my favorite outfit of hers. I guess it's not easy to translate the billowy-ness of Alan Davis's art down correctly :D

Surely she'll have a butterfly effect mask.

But I guess I'm not against more X-Men as some others are here. However, I would prefer more iconic and classic X-Men and villains (say, Banshee, OG Sunfire, Blob, Toad, Avalanche, Pyro, Forge, Mastermind, Dazzler (first appearance and 80s version), Longshot, Arcade, Mesmero, Mimic, etc. etc.) before getting more alternate universe 90s X-Men or black and white incarnations of existing figures. I'll pass on just about every X-figure shown here except the Excalibur stuff and the pack that seems to have a new Blade in it (and it won't be for Vampire Jubilee).

When I got my X-men First Appearance box set & combined it with my FA Angel I was as pleased as punch ,since then I've waited in vain to organise virtually any opposition for them from what DST has offered up. Rather than list them.... I tire quickly with lists....here's a link to a pictorial walk down memory lane: http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/uncanny-x-men

I'll accept that there are a few no-hopers there but God Almighty there are also some fantastic characters that would make wonderful Minimates . C'mon DST just give me the Mimic ,the Banshee & all those guys from #22 ......& a green Pietro & a decent Wanda....& a Super-Adaptoid.... :D

Edit: it seems we are on that wavelength thing again Sam ;)

Edited by buttheadsmate

QUOTE (Donny B @ Feb 14 2011, 05:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bless you, sir!

(and here are just a couple images that were missed in the first embedding):

toy_fair_20110213_1135647064.jpg

Who are these characters with Wolverine? And what is Age of X? Is it related to Earth-X and Universe-X?

age of x is an alternate future (i think) that i havnt got around to reading yet.

the characters around wolvie are part of the curse of the mutants story

from left to right:

blade, wolverine (vampire), son of dracula, jubilee (vampire)

Another Deadpool is worth a sigh. Really, jeez... I think that's about enough for the market saturation of this character as a minimate in the past couple of years.

I'd really like to like that Hulk, but his head just looks too teeny.

Age of X does seem a little pre-mature.

Otherwise, these all look really snazzy. That Spidey/Goblin set is magnificent!

Thor/Captain America comic sets missing are a real bummer. I was hoping we'd get a cool set/series/something of these like we did with Shellhead comic stuff when the 2nd flick came out.

I'm actually really happy about the Age of X mates. I haven't been so excited about an X-Men storyline for a while (Mike Carey is writing it) and some of the character re-designs are stunning. Admittedly, they haven't chosen the most striking re-designs for the mates, but I am hopeful we might see more in the future. The re-designs for some of the other characters (Hellion, Psylocke, Colossus, Dazzler, Pixie and more) I find really visually interesting.

I honestly didn't even realize that was Betsy Braddock until you guys started mentioning it. And that's probably my favorite outfit of hers. I guess it's not easy to translate the billowy-ness of Alan Davis's art down correctly :D

Surely she'll have a butterfly effect mask.

But I guess I'm not against more X-Men as some others are here. However, I would prefer more iconic and classic X-Men and villains (say, Banshee, OG Sunfire, Blob, Toad, Avalanche, Pyro, Forge, Mastermind, Dazzler (first appearance and 80s version), Longshot, Arcade, Mesmero, Mimic, etc. etc.) before getting more alternate universe 90s X-Men or black and white incarnations of existing figures. I'll pass on just about every X-figure shown here except the Excalibur stuff and the pack that seems to have a new Blade in it (and it won't be for Vampire Jubilee).

I'm not so much opposed to the X-Men as I feel they've been oversaturated of late. Look at it this way: since the Infinity Gauntlet box set came out at the end of 2009, we've gotten box sets of X-Factor; the original X-Men; X-Force; the Uncanny X-Men; the New Mutants; and two Age of Apokolypse sets; with Excalibur and modern X-Force still to come. In that time, the only box set outside the Marvel Universe that didn't focus on the core characters or movies was Secret Wars... and even that had a Spider-Man!

Now we get three more box sets shown, and all of them are X-Men related: First Class; vs. Vampires; and Age of X. Can anyone honestly say that's not overkill? Worse, though, we keep getting the same characters over and over again, while X-Men characters that I would actually like to buy are still missing, like Longshot, Dazzler, Sunfire, Banshee... you know the rest. So, not only are we getting X-Men overload, we're not even getting a great selection of X-Men!

Between that and the constant repetition of the core characters, I can't help but feel that DST is failing to exploit one of the major selling points of the Marvel Universe: the depth and variety of character. I recognize that the X-Men, Spider-Man, Iron Man, et al have their place; all I want is a little diversity... like the kind Hasbro's been bringing to Marvel Universe.

Sorry to be so negative, but between this and Mattel's brutal Super Friends DCUC wave, Toy Fare hasn't left me with much to look forward to, so I'm a little grumpy.

I'm about as big of a mark for X-Men as you can get, but I have to agree with the overkill and poor choices in character selection.

Everyone (including myself) have already posted lists of what X-Men OUGHT to get made. The fact that Modern X-Force and Age of X both get box sets planned before even really hitting the shelves? That's absurd, especially given the first includes Wolverine and Deadpool who are getting done to death, and the second includes alternate reality Cyclops, Rogue, and Magneto... which we just got in the far superior AOA boxed sets.

Hell, even the AOA boxed sets didn't move me, and that's one of my favorite stories of all time!

If you're going to give us some X-characters, I'd like a Stryfe and a Bastion, a Pyro and a Blob, 90s X-Factor, and once again, a Blue and Yellow Forge and Banshee.

I know I've in the past been the first to argue AGAINST bashing DST and the Asylum, BUT... if even your X-Family fans are looking at you and saying "Enough X-crement," it's maybe time to back off and reconsider your battle strategy.

age of x is an alternate future (i think) that i havnt got around to reading yet.

the characters around wolvie are part of the curse of the mutants story

from left to right:

blade, wolverine (vampire), son of dracula, jubilee (vampire)

Close: AOX is an alternate PRESENT and that's Dracula, not his son.

The nice thing is, we'll be able to behead him.

That MVC3 Wolvie has a fugly mask on par with the recent brown Wolvie. Bleh. Lots of cool looking stuff here, but lots of it I don't recognize and have no interest in.

lol it looks like they took one of the old Batman cowls and turned it into a Wolverine mask.

I'm really excited for both Sinisters, and I'm glad DST changed their mind about Ms Sinister. Is anyone going to make a Solid Snake custom with the Age of X boxset?