UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Tomb Raider

TM2 Dinobot

So, apparently there's a new Lara Croft game coming out. And more than being an origins story, it is a total reboot. My thoughts on this are mixed: Tomb Raider is in <i>dire</i> need of a reboot. Th franchise is smothering under its own weight. However, I loved Legend and Underworld oh so very much. Those games did more to bring TR back into the spot light than anything else. Lara always needed a true origin story, and while I like how this is turning out (She bleeds and breaks bones and cries and shivers from physical exhaustion) I am not sold on the actual <i>look</i>. She looks too... not Tomb Raider. Although, she is a lot younger now. Like something out of FarCry. I don't know. I am certainly interested. And if they can get Keeley Hawes back as her voice that will cinch it for me. Still, the more I let it sink in the more I can see this working.

<a href="http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2010/12/09/a-survivor-is-born_3a00_-the-new-lara-croft.aspx" target="_blank">http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/arc...lara-croft.aspx</a>

<a href="http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/12/06/january-cover-revealed.aspx" target="_blank">http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive...r-revealed.aspx</a>

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't played any of the Tomb Raider games except when I tired the first one, so I hope the controls are better. When I tried playing the controls were extremely difficult, and Lara ended up having a seizure before getting shot to death.

I'm in the boat of not playing a tomb raider game for ages as well. I got a bit bored with them. I like they are going for the origin way of reintroducing her so thats ok. The look is another thing I can tell its Tomb Raider from the clothing but for me the skin tone is off its a little too white.

I keep thinking of the movies and the early PS games but I think of Tomb Raider a little more Mediterranean looking. I can always put the skin tone down in this game she hasn't got the perma tan from all the adventures yet.

I got my GameInformer on Wednesday and the new game looks GREAT!! It looks like they are making the right decisions for the game. She is lost on an Open World Island and she's not alone. It's like Lost meets Uncharted and I say bring it on!! Uncharted is one of the best series of this generation of games, and it's basically a polished Tomb Raider with balls. If they can bring that same level of polish and presentation to Lara Croft, we may be witness to the complete rebirth of a must own franchise.......or at least I'm still hoping!! neo

Looking forward to seeing what they do with this.

I'm a long time TR fan having played (and finished) most of them, I agree that the series went horrribly downhill, that the last two were a step back in the right direction and think an open world could be very interesting.

The one thing that always bugged me about TR is the combat, it's always been about getting autoaim to lock onto the right thing and then spamming the shoot and jump buttons, Let's hope they give us a new combat mechanic.

I dont really care if they change Lara's look as long as it fits the setting, a younger pre adventurer Lara would probably look less weathered and tanned anyway.

T.

p.s. Dinobot, Sort your sig out, you're breakng at least two of the guidelines... Unless you want me to do it for you ;)

Looking forward to seeing what they do with this.

I'm a long time TR fan having played (and finished) most of them, I agree that the series went horrribly downhill, that the last two were a step back in the right direction and think an open world could be very interesting.

The one thing that always bugged me about TR is the combat, it's always been about getting autoaim to lock onto the right thing and then spamming the shoot and jump buttons, Let's hope they give us a new combat mechanic.

I dont really care if they change Lara's look as long as it fits the setting, a younger pre adventurer Lara would probably look less weathered and tanned anyway.

T.

p.s. Dinobot, Sort your sig out, you're breakng at least two of the guidelines... Unless you want me to do it for you ;)

The heck? We have guidelines?!

edit: Huh. We do. How about that.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

MiniFiend, remember that ever Lara that has come before has been older. This is a new, 21yo Lara. She probably hasn't had that much time in the tanning salon yet. :P

I actually did say about not being as tanned because of not having all the adventures ;)

• 5 months later...

The new trailer is out from E3. It looks really good. Fresh and new. You can tell it's Laura, but obviously a younger version. The one bad thing is I really miss Zoe's iconic voice.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good god, those scenes being impaled make me not want to play this thing...normally I'm not squeamish about that kind of stuff, but that really bothered me.

Same here. That was wicked.