UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New TRU MiniMates listings

Xybot

Oiy! I was looking through the Diamond retailer site and found some listings you guys might like to see. I'm just going to list the Marvel ones here, I'll edit in a link to the other ones after I post them. (many more listings, some of which you'll find very interesting ...)

Just titles, no info so far ... it looks like these are going to be all TRU items.

MARVEL MINIMATES MOVIE THEMED BOX SET (TRU)

MARVEL MINIMATES X-MEN FIRST CLASS ASSORTMENT (TRU)

MARVEL MINIMATES CAPTAIN AMERICA MOVIE ASSORTMENT (TRU)

MARVEL MINIMATES THOR MOVIE ASST (TRU)

So ... First Class 'mates!

EDIT: Here's the "others" thread. :)

http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/index.php?showtopic=9182

Edited by Xybot

Very cool news indeed.

The First Class box set is a big surprise and could be very interesting (Prof. X? Magneto? Emma Frost?).

The Movie set does not sound so interesting (reissues of movie Spidey, Iron Man, Wolverine & Hulk?)

First Class was listed as an assortment, so that's more than just a box set, its a full on wave.

As for the Movie box set, DST said that the movie licenses are on a time limit, so I doubt it'll be retreads of past movie characters. It could just complement one of the other movie licenses. Or TRU could change the rule on this whole thing. After all, they were pushing for Sony Minimates when DST is not a video game company.

My guess is the movie box set is going to be Cap / Red Skull & Thor / Loki. Probably battle damaged versions, eh?

Sadly, you're probably right. I can still dream that it'll be a special teaser box set for the Avengers movie in 2012, right? (Cap, Thor, Iron Man & Hulk? Nick Fury?)

And thanks, drgnrbrn, I didn't notice that the First Class was a full wave of figures. Certainly sounds like they'll be enough characters in the movie to support a full wave.

One more thought - with Thor, Cap and now First Class getting their own waves, will we see these in specialty/comic stores? And if so, what will that do to actual comic themed waves? I would love to see a Thor comic wave, and would hate to see it squeezed out for First Class Minimates.

First Class minimates... wasn't expecting that.

Thor waves at TRU and in specialty stores, probably means the same for at least CA movie mates, maybe First class too.

For movie-mate haters, at least take heart that movie Destroyer looks identical to comics Destroyer. So there's at least one new character in it for you :P

Edited by blizzerd

Yeah, we also got that in General Ross, which I don't figure we'll get as a "comic-styled" Minimate anytime soon. But all the pseudo-civilians and boring, "realistic" get-ups they put these movie characters often do not good Minimates make. There's a reason that the only reasonably successful movie-Mate line was Iron Man, and that's because the Iron Men were colorful and looked like something out of the comic. X3, Hulk, Spiderman, and Wolvie Origins all ended up in the bargain bins, and I think that's the reason why. Ghost Rider didn't even garner enough interest to make it to production.

I am somewhat optimistic about Thor in general, because of the Asguardians, but I'm pretty skeptical of the others.

Edited by karamazov80

Well, most of the characters in the Thor movie are wearing colorful costumes. Can't say the same for the Cap movie or First Class.

Another thought crosses my mind... next year's Avengers line may be an almost complete retread. Movie Iron Man, movie Cap, movie Thor, movie Hulk, movie Black Widow, movie Nick Fury... we've already seen all of them as mates. So that leaves, what, movie Hawkeye as a new mate?

I'm wondering if the movie assortments are basically TRU waves 10-12 and we won't see any comic-style mates from TRU next year, or if they're independent like the IM2 waves from this year and there are still yet-to-be-determined "standard" waves?

Edited by Lobsterman

Hmmm, makes me wonder..... Had TRU been into minimates like this a couple of years ago, would we have seen an actual release of the Ghost Rider movie wave? Seems like TRU loves those Marvel movie licenses.

I would say yes. In fact, you have reminded me that Nick Cage is currently making Ghost Rider 2 - we may see movie Ghost Rider figures someday after all.

...Merchandising is the name of the game nowadays.

Where the real money from the movie is made! Thor the T-shirt, Hawkeye the coloring book, Iron Man the lunch box, Captain America the breakfast cereal, Nick Fury the flame thrower!

I'm kind of excited for these because i'm hoping it means we'll see comic-book counterpart waves follwing like we did with Wolverine & Ironman.

An X-Men First Class comic-counterpart wave could be awesome. We could see some much needed Characters Like Banshee, Sebastian Shaw & Moira McTaghart finally get made. Possibly even Darwin? Plus modern versions of Havok & White Queen, or an updated Mystique could be in contention too.

Very Exciting!!!!!

. . . . oh . . . and the movie stuff will probably be ok too . . .