UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Ghostbusters Minimates-RGB

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something that caught my eye from a recent Mattel Q&A:

5) Is there any posibility for any animated Ghosbusters goodness coming our way in 6" for 2011 or are the Retro Action figures it for now?

Quote:

Right now the movie line is not selling well enough to justify branching out to an animated styled line. We’d love to do an animated line in 6-inch scale but based on sales of the movie style figures, the GB audience is not large enough to justify the amount of tooling and development this would take. (Considering there are more fans of the movie style then of the animated style overall.)

I thought this was kind of an interesting perspective from Mattel regarding RGB. I know there are probably other factors at work that explain the disparity in sales between their 6" line and the 'mates, but they dont seem to have too high an opinion of the franchise in general at this point. I wonder if they're right, or if DST will be proven right a second time with the animated line.

Edited by Lobsterman

My knowledge of the RGB is almost zilch, what I know about them & the show is what I've read here & items on the net.

That said ,it seems that the series had about a half-dozen good guys & umpteen ghosts & ghouls & I'm sceptical about how far DST can stretch this out bearing in mind that DST notoriously stretch everything until it snaps?

I am asking the question & I'm not saying that they won't sell.

We’d love to do an animated line in 6-inch scale but based on sales of the movie style figures, the GB audience is not large enough to justify the amount of tooling and development this would take. (Considering there are more fans of the movie style then of the animated style overall.

Important to note about what I've bolded:

-Tooling: Mattel refuses to spend money on ANYTHING unless they can make their money back 10 fold. Fans have been asking for a more accurate JLU lady base or an accurate Supermna for YEARS but have been told to go to hell. When asked why Tytus isn't fully articulated they're told "That'd cost $100!" (not realizing fans WOULD pay that, $100 for a 12inch figure is sort of market rate for limited collectables isn't it?) When asked why they can't make each figure unique and a single buck MUST be over used they say "That'd cost $100 per figure!" (which is BS because the Four Horsemen produce their Fantastic Exclusive figures for $20-$30, And you can't tell me there's more of a market for Queen Alexandra and her 6 cats then for a Clawful who looks as good as the Staction figure but with articulation and doesn't shatter if he tips off my shelf)

Mattel made all 4 Ghostbusters IDENTICAL (ooooh, Peter had different hands and shoes!) to save money, they probably realized they can't make all 4 animated ones with one buck maximizing their profits and truely get away with it so said "F**K IT!"... you'll notice they see a fan base for RGB exist since their awful Megos at TRU are based on RGB (and the movie versions are not getting Megos) they probably hope that will shut people up who want something RGB related as cheaply as possible.

-Sales: News Flash- People who seriously love toys hate Mattycollector!

Okay that's old news, but imagine you're a causal Ghostbuster fan, are you gonna put up with that bullshit? Especially when there are blockfigures you can just walk into a TRU and buy OR you could easily order without white screens of death from any other on-line store that are just as good (if not better, Mattel's likenesses suck) at representing the characters?

I also think what's happened to Mattel is something I like to call a "reverse Street Fighter" here two companies both have the license for a product: One 6 inch, one block. One company is offering a crap selection of off model figures that hit the market after the other company released a line with MORE selection and better quality likenesses.

With Street Fighter SOTA was kicking so much ass DST thought their product had a shot, but since SOTA already owned the market with a MUCH better product DST was shut out... with Ghostbusters, sure you'll have the fans who WANT 6in detailed figures, but for most causal fans a 2in block is just as good, since they just want the four guys on their desk at work they don't care about scale or articulation or whatever. They hit TRU first and FLY off the shelves (sure some of the newer ones have lingered, but they're hardly Lady Loki or Wave 36 Iron Man re-releases level peg warmers) Mattel releases an overpriced (but compared to Mattycollector pricing... better priced) boxset to TRU and it just sits there.

So basically, unlike with MOTUC Mattycollector is not the only game in town for ghostbusters so it's no wonder Mattel sees a small market share and I hardly think their concern will truly translate to RGB minimates.

Next RGB 2PK for TRU: Boogy Man & Terror Dog (blue) - last 2Pk tomorrow.

A semi-expected reuse, the blue T-Dog was seen in the episode 'Egon's Ghost' and Yay! BoogyMan!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the opening of "Slimer! And the Real Ghostbusters. (As was the Boogeyman)

Slythe did a great job on a Boogeyman custom, hopefully DST/AA can pull off something close to it.

Thanks, I really am interested in seeing how's made as well. I think they did a great job with the Theater Ghost, and, well, everything else, so I'm sure the Boogeyman will be no exception. Also, in the category of Ghostbusters customs I've made that companies could easily do themselves;

rgbboxecorrected.jpg

rgbredux.jpg

Yeah, the heads could be more accurate, but that really the only major retooling/new sculpting Mattel would need. It's amazing how much they don't seem to want stuff to succeed. I do not like those RGB dolls, but I'll buy them anyway, so I guess Mattel doesn't really care what I have to say.

And, I am super-hyped for these RGB miniMates. I can't wait until we start seeing pics of these guys. I hope the packaging is dark purple like the Kenner line was.

To add to the list of hopefuls, they could retool a Terror Dog to make Drool. Ghash/Mr. Ugly would also be a good choice. And I would kind of like Troll Leader. And Barrow Wights. Or Chtulhu! I hope Office Janine comes with a chair/desk, or at least an alarm bell. Blue Slimer could be a possible repaint for the expected multitude of Slimers. And to add to the list of possible GB variants, they could have a set where they are covered in chemical ectoplasm with body parts from the episode "Doctor, Doctor". They could come with Prof. X's wheelchairs.

And does anyone know if the license is just based on the cartoon series, or is there any chance we could see some characters from the NOW! comics? Because if so, there's a nice chunk of visually interesting villains there as well.

besides the Video Game 4-pack it's always been Human/Ghost from what I remember

I'm curious what the Egyptian Ghost is... I think it's Blackie from "The Long, Long, Long, Etc. Goodbye"

Yeah, it's gotta be Blackie. Unless they are doing comic RGB miniMates, then maybe it could be the Nameless One. Although, Blackie is the preferred hope of myself.

rgbegyptians.jpg

besides the Video Game 4-pack it's always been Human/Ghost from what I remember

I'm curious what the Egyptian Ghost is... I think it's Blackie from "The Long, Long, Long, Etc. Goodbye"

Yeah, it's gotta be Blackie. Unless they are doing comic RGB miniMates, then maybe it could be the Nameless One. Although, Blackie is the preferred hope of myself.

rgbegyptians.jpg

Two of those might look very nice with the Universal's The Mummy set, depending on how animated they look.

I wonder if the TRU 2-packs really are as announced

-GB Janine/GB Slimer

-Egon/Ray re-releases from LCS 4 pack

-Sam Hein/Egypt Ghost

-Boogey man/ Terror Dog

or if we were to read those tweets as "heres two characters you can expect..."

If it's as announced I'm happy I can skip the Ray/Egon pack, but I want an extra Boogeyman and Terror Dog so I'm still buying 4 packs... if it's just those characters and not that line up, crap I'm buying 6 sets...

I'm interested in where the line goes from here, I would like a 2-pack of blue Were-Beast Egon and Were-Chicken Egon please (those are things right? I swear I remember both episodes)