UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Minimates Design Contest

groundhog7s

Out of all the lines that have been cancelled, it seems that DC Minimates is by far the one fans most want to see come back. But in the meantime, let's have some fun. So, I present to you the

DC Minimates Design Contest

Not everyone is good at making customs or able to take good pictures, but (in theory) it should be relatively easy to make a design. But here's the twist to make things interesting, this contest is limited to designing DC characters that wouldn't fit the standard 2" body. Here's the official rules:

Rules

-Design submissions can be made from the template shown below or from any other pre-existing template you would like.

-The design should be for an over-sized character that would use the 2.5" or 3" Minimate body(similar to figures like Killer Croc, Gorilla Grodd and STRIPE) and must be one that is from the DC Universe.

-Designs can be ones previously shown in other threads, however originallity goes a long way around here.

-All designs need to be posted in this thread to qualify.

-One entry per person.

-Of course, all normal board guidelines need to be followed.

MinimateTemplate.jpg

Dates

-All designs need to be posted in this thread between now and 11:59 EST on October 31st.

-Votng will begin when a submissions gallery is posted on November 1st and will run until 11:59 EST November 7th (with the results posted shortly after).

Voting

-The traditional pm ballot system will be used to vote (send all pm votes to groundhog7s).

-PM votes should include your first, second and third favorite choices.

-Votes will be tallied as such

1st choice-10 pts

2nd choice-9 pts

3rd choice-8 pts

There is one grand prize for this contest: The DC Super Heroes: The Ultimate Pop-Up book. Maybe that doesn't sound like much, but this isn't your daddy's type of pop-up book (unless your daddy is Matthew Reinhart).

DCSuperHeroes.jpg

This is an amazing follow-up to Reinhart's Star Wars pop-up book that was released last year. It retails for $29.95 and is a fun book to have (my favorite part is the working bat signal). You can view a review of part of the book here. It's an interesting review by the creator, but it's a little creepy listening to him talk about Wonder Woman. Anyways, the winner will receive a new copy of this book and a few random DC Minimates for good measure.

And, to make it a little more interesting, I'll be sending a prize to the submission that I deem to be my favorite of all the designs. Maybe you can't impress everybody, but you'll still have a chance at winning something.

You can start posting designs in this thread at any time and please contact me with any questions.

Edited by groundhog7s

I have a question: By DC Universe, does that include all alternate realities like Wildstorm or Vertigo?

Yes. The only exception to that would be anyone trying to do a Marvel character from when the two companies have met. If you try that I'll tell you you've won, get your address and then tell my wife I've found a new home for all the dirty diapers my daughter has. Otherwise, yes, those are acceptable.

Are designs allowed to be hand-drawn, or is it required they be digital??

You could do your design in sky-writing if you'd like, I really don't care how it's done. Having said that, just remember that however it's done is how you'll be judged by your peers.

Also, whenever I hear the word 'digital' used it always reminds me of an interview that my wife and I had to sit through to get my mom into a nursing home (yes, you can tune me out now because this has nothing to do with the contest). They asked my mom some questions about how she was at going to the bathroom on her own and the topic of constipation came up. The asked her if 'digital stimulation' ever worked and she replied yes. My wife just looked at me with the most puzzled look on her face until I reminded her that digits aren't just numbers. So, if anyone wants to make digital pictures, they'll probably look like crap and won't score you any brownie points with me.

Edited by groundhog7s

I think this is the first time I've been the first to post in a contest thread!

Anyways, I've had this idea in mind for quite a while and felt this was the perfect contest to do this design for.

I used some actual parts from the DC Build-A-Figure.

So I present: CHEMO

Chemo.jpg

The way I read the comp its for characters over the normal minimate size scale of 2" so guys like Bane and Killer Croc who used the larger minimate body are cool. I think Black Mask dont fit in the larger scale.

It could do with a little bit clearing up on the rules.

The way I read the comp its for characters over the normal minimate size scale of 2" so guys like Bane and Killer Croc who used the larger minimate body are cool. I think Black Mask dont fit in the larger scale.

Yes, that's the idea of the contest. I added some examples to the rules and hope it's a little more clear now.

So, sorry Slegos, although Black Mask is a cool design it probably won't work (unless it's from some story where he's on steroids).

Yes, that's the idea of the contest. I added some examples to the rules and hope it's a little more clear now.

So, sorry Slegos, although Black Mask is a cool design it probably won't work (unless it's from some story where he's on steroids).

Hi,

How about if the character's height is highly variable? He/She may choose to appear in scale with humans (often) but it would not be unusual for him/her to appear gigantic, even larger than the 2.5" scale minimate body?

:D

I wish this contest came a few months ago, since I already made my first choice for a 2.5 inch mate (DKR Batman http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/Dr....ead/dkrmm1.png) and 3in mate (Arkham Asylum Killer Croc http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/Dr.Baghead/aakc1.jpg) as actual customs so it seems a little silly to draw them... sooooooooo...

batbgrundy.png

Batman the Brave and the Bold Solomon Grundy, someone I've been meaning to make but am waiting to see if Mattel releases the Action League first (and at this point it looks like a better start sculpting a 2.5inch suit piece)

Wow this is turning out great the art is Amazing

I'm not the biggest DC fan in the world so it took me a while to come up with a "plus size" character for this contest. Teen Titans was always my favorite DC title besides Perez's Wonder Woman, so I decided to give my favorite Titan RAVEN a suitable foe.

Hope you like him!

trigon-entry.jpg

NOTES: I envision the "white" portions being the same pearly white they used on Storm and Moonstone with silver accents. The hairpiece is designed to go down as far as the eyebrows and include the ears and hair. The chest strap is sculpted and helps keep the cape and high collar in place. The skull would be a sculpted piece adjoined to the loincloth. His claws are modeled after Movie Sabretooth's.

His staff is completely swiped from the DC Universe Trigon Build-A-Figure... I just thought he looked incomplete without it.

Edited by Binaryan

Arkillo. Utilising the same style of Bulking up as the upcoming Juggernaut and Thing.

arkillo.jpg

Also I imagine his head as a moulded slip mask with the mouth cut out and the tongue printed on the head, which can them be reversed for a tongue-less look. Included would be a tongue necklace accessory.

Edited by demonpr