UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimate Labs

Ivan

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

130416_torsoHead.jpg

I've had a few minor setbacks in this project. In an effort to reduce the little blobs (you can see them on the hip piece) I tweaked the power going to the extruder motor. That ended up making it worse. The plastic flow is now inconsistent, resulting in the missed lines in the torso and head there. Just got to find that happy medium.

You'll notice there are no shoulder pegs on the torso. I'm printing those separately and attaching them later. The glues I have on hand aren't up to the task, and there doesn't seem to be a consensus on what works best for PLA.

The last setback is the weather. It's been rather nice around here lately so my free time has been spent working on the yard. I don't have a farm or anything, I'm just paying now for all the neglect last season. On the plus side, there does appear to be rain in the forecast...

Thanks for all the interest everyone. TBT, the modeling is actually the slowest part for me. Mechanical/Hard modeling, like the Minimate, I can do. Organic modeling, like the hairpieces, are difficult for me. I've looked a bit at 3D scanners but haven't jumped in. There's one out there where you use your own camera and laser then feed the video into software which generates a rough model. I've downloaded the evaluation but none of my cameras shoot video well enough.

Boyd, I actually modeled a hollow head with separate lid piece. I figured it would be a good place to store emergency tacos.

130416_torsoHead.jpg

I've had a few minor setbacks in this project. In an effort to reduce the little blobs (you can see them on the hip piece) I tweaked the power going to the extruder motor. That ended up making it worse. The plastic flow is now inconsistent, resulting in the missed lines in the torso and head there. Just got to find that happy medium.

You'll notice there are no shoulder pegs on the torso. I'm printing those separately and attaching them later. The glues I have on hand aren't up to the task, and there doesn't seem to be a consensus on what works best for PLA.

The last setback is the weather. It's been rather nice around here lately so my free time has been spent working on the yard. I don't have a farm or anything, I'm just paying now for all the neglect last season. On the plus side, there does appear to be rain in the forecast...

Thanks for all the interest everyone. TBT, the modeling is actually the slowest part for me. Mechanical/Hard modeling, like the Minimate, I can do. Organic modeling, like the hairpieces, are difficult for me. I've looked a bit at 3D scanners but haven't jumped in. There's one out there where you use your own camera and laser then feed the video into software which generates a rough model. I've downloaded the evaluation but none of my cameras shoot video well enough.

Boyd, I actually modeled a hollow head with separate lid piece. I figured it would be a good place to store emergency tacos.

In the interests of progress I'll come & spend some time on your yard.....no charge .

"......................... it is right that they shalt toil on my land whilst I create Gods"

- Leonardo Da Ivanci

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize to all those of you waiting on PM responses from me. I try to keep those up to date, but I haven't been logged in for a while. I'm sorry, I'll try to catch up this weekend.

Similarly, there hasn't been a lot of progress on the large 'mate. I think I mentioned in a previous post about printing pegs and pins separately. It was originally out of necessity, but it paid off in a way I didn't expect. You see I had to refine the models quite a bit from the original Minimate I use for the 3D renderings. The joints weren't tight. I have to enlarge 2% here and shrink 3% there. But instead of printing say a whole new lower arm, I just have to print another pin and see how it fits with the upper arm. It's a huge time savings.

Here are the latest pics:

130503_halfReverse.jpg

130503_halfFront.jpg

(Looks like that hip peg is a little long...)

Chuck and I are both pretty big Ghibli fans. Cant see it ever happening, but it's fun to dream.

If I had more of an encyclopedic memory of parts, I'd QC up a Nausicaa, a Kiki, a Mononoke, a Chihiro, a Pazu... Even a Cagliostro Lupin!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

• 1 month later...