UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimate Labs

Ivan

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I just realized I did something in this thread that bothers me when other people do it. I teased. Twice. No one likes a tease. As penance, I shall do the Harlem Shake naked in front of my living room window.

There, done.

And you're right TM2 it's not from Shapeways. Their prints are so much nicer than this. Some time ago I even priced out what jumbo-mates would cost from them and it just didn't make sense financially. So I went ahead and spent X times as much for my own 3D printer. Assembly was fun. Calibration was not. But I think I've got it dialed in now. It's currently sitting next to me printing another foot that's much less blobby* than that Spidey photo. Nonetheless, my next purchase is going to be a decent bench sander to clean things up with. Either that or a camera I can shoot some time-lapse with. I'll keep you all apprised.

*technical term

Meant to post this last night after catching up on posts and PMs, but sleep took precedence. (I miss the days when I could do this from work without needing to hide it.)

130402_leftLegSm.jpg

These pieces are straight off the bed without any sanding or cleanup. Obviously my parameters need a few more modifications. The fit is pretty loose on all the parts. I had modified my models for printing at shapeways to compensate for shrinkage, but when I scaled up to 500% those modifications were also scaled. I should have realized, but it didn't even cross my mind.

I was concerned about the holes in the upper leg, but they bridged nicely at the top. Not perfect, but it wasn't a blobby mess like I feared.

Next up is the hip piece, but I can't see a way to print that all in one go. I'm going to have to separate the center peg and ball joints then assemble them later. Soldiering on...

These are all PLA plastic. Other printers will do ABS plastic or both, but PLA suits my purposes for now. It's tough to say how much each piece is costing right now. The roll of plastic was around $35 (US) and so far I've only used 25 to 30%. That includes all the calibration prints, failed prints, and various mounds of extruded plastic. Raw materials is probably less than a buck a piece right now.

Hopefully this latest pic shows up, my hosting provider is moving my sites to a different server and things seem to be a little wonky.

130408_printPieces.jpg

EDIT: I'll just trying uploading it to MMMV for now and sort it all out when the move is done..

RE-EDIT: direct link enabled

Edited by Ivan

This is so damn awesome Ivan! I really like the unfinished look of the pieces, they have a nice texture. I would love to have just a blank towering over my collection! Finished and painted characters would be unbelievable, but the rough, unrefined surface has so much character all by itself. Love it, amazing work as usual Clapping%20Hands.gif

Stunning stuff as always Ivan,

Now you've peeked my curiosity about 3D printing and it seems to me that it's a natural progression for you considering your 3D modelling skills.

How difficult it is to create the models that are required to print such complex parts as minimates?

How well does it work for smaller parts? say custom replacement pieces in actual minimate size?

I see it as being far too daunting for a total 3D modelling novice such as myself but an interesting project if you have those skills.

T.

Stunning stuff as always Ivan,

Now you've peeked my curiosity about 3D printing and it seems to me that it's a natural progression for you considering your 3D modelling skills.

How difficult it is to create the models that are required to print such complex parts as minimates?

How well does it work for smaller parts? say custom replacement pieces in actual minimate size?

I see it as being far too daunting for a total 3D modelling novice such as myself but an interesting project if you have those skills.

T.

You may be able to cheat and get the parts 3D scanned. Theoretically, all you would need to do at that point is scale up the 3D model and print.

I have a feeling it is much more complicated though.