UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New SRP $8.99 a 2-pack, $17.99 a 4-pack

sha_ckwave

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I started doing earlier this year was to keep a spreadsheet listing my purchases so I could get an idea of exactly how much I was buying. Unfortunately, I got lazy mid-year and stopped, but I really need to get a better handle on what I buy. Maybe the hike will impact my purchases, but if it does at all, I'll likely stop buying extra packs for possible customizing and trade.

I started doing this last year and continued this year. It's pretty shocking, I found I was spending more than double what I had estimated I was.

I think it's wishful thinking if anyone is expecting improvements to accessories, quality, or character selection with the price hike. Maybe the worst of the quality issues that have popped up lately might be fixed, but I wouldn't expect more than that. And we're still going to see lots of Spider-Man and Wolverine.

It'll slow down some of my duplicate purchasing. Also, it could affect being such a completist. Halo, for example, I don't have much interest in. I was going to pick them up since they're minimates, though. Now, that may change. Don't know for sure.

If they keep having obvious quality flubs, like the Spider-Man and Black Cat from that recent boxed set... that could really impact if I want to spend my bread on sets if they aren't going to even look nice.

It'll slow down some of my duplicate purchasing. Also, it could affect being such a completist. Halo, for example, I don't have much interest in. I was going to pick them up since they're minimates, though. Now, that may change. Don't know for sure.

If they keep having obvious quality flubs, like the Spider-Man and Black Cat from that recent boxed set... that could really impact if I want to spend my bread on sets if they aren't going to even look nice.

Yeah, I'll still be purchasing most, if not all, of the Marvel line, but I'll find it much easier to pass on some of the other series. While I'm not thrilled about a price hike, and it will slightly affect my purchasing habits, I have to say that I'm not too bothered. I still think a set of 2 Minimates at $9.00 is better than 1 MU figure at $10.00 or 1 DCUC figure at $15.00.

Prices are up everywhere...

Individual SW and Marvel Universe figures are about $7.99/ea at the major retailers now - if you catch a sale you might get 2 for $10. In fact, I paid $8.99 at Walmart for a marvel Universe 3.75" figure last week. 2 figures for $9 is still a pretty good deal - especially when you look at Kubrick's @ $10/ea or $20/pr. Other figure multipacks are $12/pr or $20+ for 3-4. Don't get me started on the vehicle price comparison - $12/ea isn't too bad

It sucks that we are seeing this price increase but it's happening with all other toylines too. Justice League Unlimited figures were $4.99 for the longest time and they are now $8.99. It will definately save me some money because I can't see myself dropping $10 on a set of 2 Minimates that I'm not real familiar with or that I already have multiples of.

It sucks that we are seeing this price increase but it's happening with all other toylines too.

The last time I was at TRU, I spotted an awesome 7" Mickey figure from Kingdom Hearts, and I started reaching for it, until I saw the price tag: $24.99! I almost needed a new pair of shorts.

I saw that same one at my Tru, but it was misplaced and didn't have a tag on it. When I finally found out the price for a regular sized figure I quickly put it back. lol

It sucks that we are seeing this price increase but it's happening with all other toylines too.

The last time I was at TRU, I spotted an awesome 7" Mickey figure from Kingdom Hearts, and I started reaching for it, until I saw the price tag: $24.99! I almost needed a new pair of shorts.

Hmmm... I wonder if we'll actually be seeing a $8.99 price tag in the end. This is MSRP, after all. Key word being recommended. The previous TRU waves had a $7.99 MSRP when it debuted at the Cons and TRU sold them for $6.99 before jumping up to $7.49. Here's hoping they continue to sell these at below the MSRP.

The price increase will hurt, but at least it is at Toys R Us. I picked up a TRU charge card back on the last Star Wars Midnight Madness and I have my trusty TRU reward card. Together, they average me about $15/month back in TRU gift cards/cash. The more I spend at TRU, the more rewards I earn. And these can be used to buy more minimates. :thumbsup:

This is not the case with my LCS. I am fortunate enough that they will hold a complete set w/ variant for me, but I only get a price discount if I buy a whole case. If the TRU price hike is translated to the LCS waves (which it looks like it is) I will probably not be picking up extra troop builders as I have in the past.

If only DST could/would make Star Wars minimates, I would have all of my Hasbro "budget" to throw at DST :P

Edited by Onyx_6

Prices are up everywhere...

Individual SW and Marvel Universe figures are about $7.99/ea at the major retailers now - if you catch a sale you might get 2 for $10. In fact, I paid $8.99 at Walmart for a marvel Universe 3.75" figure last week. 2 figures for $9 is still a pretty good deal - especially when you look at Kubrick's @ $10/ea or $20/pr. Other figure multipacks are $12/pr or $20+ for 3-4. Don't get me started on the vehicle price comparison - $12/ea isn't too bad

I walked away from MU figures I wanted last week because of the $8.99 price tag, so I think this kind of thing definitely has the potential to have an impact even on collectors. I'm curious about the effect on casual buyers and parents. I doubt most of them think of a minimate as "equal" to a 4" figure when they see it in the stores. If minimates cost the same or less for two figures they might seem like a good deal. If they cost more is a casual fan going to go look at MU instead?

I definitely keep to buying only selected MU figures because of the price (they retail for about $17.95 here!!!)

So far i've kept my collecting to X-Men Characters & Female characters. Everyone once in a while i'll buy someone who i think has a well-made figure, but i usually wait for a sale to do that because $18 a for such small figures is just too much.

Minimates i am admittedly more fond of - so this will stop me buying duplicates (like army builder 2-packs), but it wont stop me collecting.

I definitely keep to buying only selected MU figures because of the price

I do too, only one of every character and every version of Iron Man.

I was that way with MU and CARS for some time, now minimates are my only "have to have them" line.

For everything else I only buy figures now that my kids show interest in.

• 2 months later...

I know where you're coming from, TM2. At $5.99, $6.49, even $6.99, I used to pick up one of each pack of pretty much anything they had on the pegs just on principle, plus one or two extras for customs. Now, though, I've found myself passing on some of the MAX and Halo sets altogether. Unless I have a specific custom in mind, I don't pick up sets "just in case a part might come in handy," either.

It's going to take a few more dollars worth of pain to make me seriously reconsider buying Marvel exclusives, but my days as a Minimate completist are certainly dwindling...