UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Modern Heroic Age Box Set

DaveOMac

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the idea of "getting back to basics" with Iron Man having less sculpting and bulk, but that head looks a bit funky to me. It appears just to be a basic slip cover mask with no (or very minimal) sculpting, as opposed to the helmet re-use you see on the back of the package. He looks like a "grumpy old bear" (sort of a Thing expression).

I'm a lot more excited about the Disney pack. That Thor and Cap are useless to me. More classic Spideys, however, are always welcome :banana:

Edited by karamazov80

"You get Spider-Man, Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man without having to search all over the place and you won’t end up with figures you don’t want."

Are they being serious? Most collectors, I think, will probably buy this for the Iron Man and end up with three figures they don't want. None of those characters, in those costumes, are particularly rare. Heck, you'd probably only have to "search" to the next peg over to find modern Thor.

I'm glad Iron Man's helmet is not the sculpted one on the back photo, but it still seems a little bulky to use the slip-on piece. Otherwise IM looks fine. I'm always amazed that DST manages to keep create some very slick looking Spideys. Sure, I don't need another Spiderman, but this one looks good. I like it. Cap- there can never be too much Cap. I love this 'Mate.

Thor is the weakest of the bunch, especially compared to the other boxset Thor. I love the Roborn look, I just think something more could have been done (other than a new face).

Edited by Turtle

If they switched Thors with the other boxset, this would be perfect :P

I'm glad they didn't reuse the IM2 helmet after all, but I was hoping for a regular head block (like the one inside Hulkbuster) rather than a slip-on, if that's what it is.

Like the Spidey, and glad I skipped over the previous BuckyCap, this one looks ace...

You can't have enough Classic Spideys or Classic Caps, IMO. I know we would all rather have new, different characters, but I don't think that was an option here. These sets were apparently designed to target general audiences with iconic, popular characters. Given that, I think of these as nice "filler" extras until the next actual wave is released. Their being released probably doesn't take up a spot that, say, a Hellcat or MODOK could have taken.

Given all that, again--the more classic Spidey and Caps, the better :)

Edited by karamazov80

"You get Spider-Man, Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man without having to search all over the place and you won’t end up with figures you don’t want."

Are they being serious? Most collectors, I think, will probably buy this for the Iron Man and end up with three figures they don't want. None of those characters, in those costumes, are particularly rare. Heck, you'd probably only have to "search" to the next peg over to find modern Thor.

That sounds more like a normal press release thing to me, since TRU sees this as a good money maker. Because there are kids who buy these at TRU, and this set will probably sell pretty good. Plus this is a good gateway set to the world of minimate addiction for new comers.

I liked the idea of "getting back to basics" with Iron Man having less sculpting and bulk

Agreed. I'm starting to think I'm an old school purist or something but I just don't like most of the newer mini's that are bulked up (see ANY of the recent Iron Man/Hulk minis). My Wave 6 Iron Man is still my favorite and I much prefer the original Wave 1 Hulk over the newer ones that come complete with breast implants and boxing gloves. O.o

That said, I will be passing up this set for the Heroic Age: Classic Box Set. I have to get my hands on old-school Thor!

Some characters I'm okay with being bulked up. Thing, Hulk, Rhino, Juggernaut.

Others, though, like Thor or Hercules I always preferred the muscly but not overly huge look of. See Jack Kirby drawn versions. They were strong and athletic without being too bulky.

In a perfect world the only figures that would be bulked up would be the 2.5 inch characters of Hulk, Thing, et. all.

The 3 inch Giant Man, Goliath, etc. wouldn't need bulking up since the extra height would do the job of making them "gigantic".

In a perfect world. *sigh*

Some characters I'm okay with being bulked up. Thing, Hulk, Rhino, Juggernaut.

Others, though, like Thor or Hercules I always preferred the muscly but not overly huge look of. See Jack Kirby drawn versions. They were strong and athletic without being too bulky.

In a perfect world the only figures that would be bulked up would be the 2.5 inch characters of Hulk, Thing, et. all.

The 3 inch Giant Man, Goliath, etc. wouldn't need bulking up since the extra height would do the job of making them "gigantic".

In a perfect world. *sigh*

I could buy that if they followed that logic. The new Thor: Reborn mini really bugs me, there was no real reason to bulk him up like they did with his new plastic smock. I don't know, I guess I love the beauty that is the simplicity of the minimates frame...anything that detracts from it tends to annoy me.

Like you said...in a perfect world...*sigh*