UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Customizing Chat on Thursday October 7th

luke314pi

I pulled part of the transcript if anyone cares.

Shamrock: how about their normal colors?

TM2_Dinobot: cheaper, only slightly worse

luke314pi: the problem I am running into is how to sell the fantasticars without getting in trouble with marvel. I could leave off the '4' stickers, but what fun is that?

boyd: Normal colors are hit or miss. At least for me.

TM2_Dinobot: worth checking out

Punisher: http://jinsdangerousblog.blogspot.com/2010...l-plastics.html

Shamrock: and I shall

MINI_MYTE: Just say they are customs.

MINI_MYTE: How many did you make?

TM2_Dinobot: Luke, how are you making them?

Shamrock: find out how the 3rd-party transformers makers sell their product

luke314pi: I can sell customs of any character in the store? I don't want to get in a legal battle.

TM2_Dinobot: 1 piece or snap kits?

luke314pi: I will be making 20 total

luke314pi: They are about 16 pieces glued together

MINI_MYTE: Wow!

TM2_Dinobot: won't work Shammy. 3rd parties are over seas in the legal red tape that is China

Shamrock: ah

TM2_Dinobot: hmm. thats a lot

Punisher: name it something else?

Shamrock: claim parody?

TM2_Dinobot: here is my thought

Punisher: or let people apply the sticker

Punisher: themselves

boyd: That's a good thought

TM2_Dinobot: sell them unpainted and un glues. label them as "Garage Kits". clearly mark them as customs. you should be fine then

luke314pi: I was thinking of offering it with 4 sets of "fun decorative stickers!" and one of the stickers happened to be a "4"

boyd: leave a space for the #4 on the ships

youbastards: You got me down on that list for one, right Luke?

boyd: then sell or include and extra decal sheet of numbers 0 -9 for customizing

Shanester has left.

luke314pi: ah, a sheet of numbers is a good idea

boyd: the sheet can just have a lot of extra 4s on it

luke314pi: I would name it "Flying Car"

Punisher: here's a topic. Name a custom you attemped but scrapped because it was too hard

TM2_Dinobot: Hasbro said that custom TFs are fine, and selling them is fine, but when you start producing your own and get up into the $100 rage they take notice and are unhappy. Now that's just Hasbro, but i figure most places are they same. Customs encourage sales of product and creativity of collectors. as long as its cheap (read: below $100) and in a limited run (below 50) i think most places are gona let you slid

TM2_Dinobot: e

FP73. Your message was truncated for being longer than allowed by the administrator.

Shamrock: a Left 4 Dead 2 Tank

boyd: the Heckler

TM2_Dinobot: Hasbro said that custom TFs are fine, and selling them is fine, but when you start producing your own and get up into the $100 rage they take notice and are unhappy.

youbastards: not scrapped, but putting off: Speedball

TM2_Dinobot: Hasbro said that custom TFs are fine, and selling them is fine, but when you start producing your own and get up into the $100 rage they take notice and are unhappy.

TM2_Dinobot: oops

Shamrock: did they now?

TM2_Dinobot: Now that's just Hasbro, but i figure most places are they same. Customs encourage sales of product and creativity of collectors. as long as its cheap (read: below $100) and in a limited run (below 50) i think most places are gona let you slide

Shamrock: my Tank turned into that Strong Guy

Shamrock: I had a concept for a Boomer too

luke314pi: I tried to make a tiny articulated Ant Man from the graveyard statue that came with one of the Buffy Palz sets, but it was just too damn small.

youbastards: yay Strong Guy! =)

boyd: Yeah, but Marvel is now part of Disney, and Disney has no sense of humor when it comes to copyrights.

TM2_Dinobot: Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

boyd: My advice would be to tread carefully - do a small run, and never speak of it again

Shamrock: oh

TM2_Dinobot: yeah, im with boyd

Shamrock: there's this site that sells little pieces to make a Halo Spartan Lego minifigure

Shamrock: I wonder what they do for the copyright

TM2_Dinobot: especially if you dont even throw them up in the store but offer them strictly on the board. surefire way to avoid any... Imperial entanglements

luke314pi: Alright, its time for the last giveaway of the evening. The first person to answer will win a Gold Battle Beast Promo! Which Batman minimate came with a bat-dart?

boyd: batman with the batmobile

MINI_MYTE: the second one.

Punisher: fffff

luke314pi: nice quick draw boyd!

Punisher: boyd -___-

Shamrock: oh darn

boyd: booyah

Shamrock: I had to load the batabase

Shamrock: database*

boyd: it's the first question i've known tonight

Shamrock: yeah, I was cheating

MINI_MYTE: Damned index finger typing!

Molybdenum_Man has joined.

luke314pi: I have been hitting Random on the database looking for possible trivia questions lol

TM2_Dinobot: know what i'd love to see? Danger Girl minimates. that is my favorite comic book of all time

MsMarvel_fan: lol. I gotta run guys. take care.

luke314pi: have a good one!

MsMarvel_fan has left.

luke314pi: Does anyone here use a laser printer for printing decals?

boyd: My turn to share - my work in progess on my desktop

MINI_MYTE: Nope.

boyd: http://www.boydstep.com/minimates/assets/i...shot_100710.jpg

TM2_Dinobot: no

luke314pi: I bought the wrong kind of sticker paper recently, and my laser printer gets too hot for this paper (its a Ricoh). The manufacturer said that it should work on almost any other brand.

Molybdenum_Man: Danger Girl would not translate well given the "ahem" block style of 'mates (unless they can still make 'mates like the PowerGirl one)

luke314pi: Nice WIPs!

MINI_MYTE: Red Hulk Dracula?

boyd: Yeah, from a variant cover. I love the look - haven't figured out how to do the chest yet

TM2_Dinobot: well, that may be. i still want them. i looooove Danger Girl

youbastards: what is the paper doing when it gets too hot?

luke314pi: it bunches up in the rollers and won't go all the way through. The other sticker paper I use works fine.

Punisher: what paper usually does at high temperatues?

Punisher: :D

youbastards: lol

TM2_Dinobot: brb

luke314pi: Oh don't ever buy the ultra fine point permanent markers that Bic makes - they are not permanent on minimates. With a little pressure, it rubs right off.

Punisher: oh reminds me, not sure if this is every where, but target price cut sharpie 2-packs to $1

luke314pi: nice

MINI_MYTE: Thanks for the chat gents.It been fun. Have a good night all.

Shamrock: oh, thought of another custom that was too hard to finish

MINI_MYTE has left.

Molybdenum_Man: Good night

Shamrock: I started trying to make whiplash's whip contraption more movie accurate and intricate

Molybdenum_Man has left.

luke314pi: that does sound tough

youbastards: My last wip that's at a shareable point: Moira McTaggart http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5272/moira.jpg

boyd: lots of little wires, i'm guessing?

luke314pi: nice WIP, she has been on my to-be-customized list for years

Shamrock: yep, wires, things to hold them in place, plastic bits where the hinges should have been

luke314pi: I should probably get going as well. I have to start putting the kids to bed. I'm glad you were all able to make it tonight!

youbastards: I want to do a 'yellow jumpsuit' version of her too

Shamrock: except I recently sound some really tiny styrene rods that might be small enough to work with

youbastards: thanks guys, it was a good time and thanks for the tips!

boyd: happy to be here. lots of interesting conversation.

Shamrock: brb

luke314pi: We will definitely do this again sometime

Shamrock: oh

Shamrock: we done?

luke314pi: probably at a different time of day to include the international members

Shamrock: good plan

luke314pi: any maybe even bhm :P

boyd: can we take the puns?

boyd: night all

luke314pi: I will add a deflector upgrade to the room

luke314pi: night boyd

boyd has left.

youbastards: bye guys, thanks again

youbastards has left.

Shamrock: so long

luke314pi: have a good one everyone!

minijeff has left.

Shamrock has left.

luke314pi has left.

TM2_Dinobot: okay, im back. what did i miss?

I'd definately make an effort to get involved in the next one of these.

btw Luke... whats going on with the Flying Car of yours then? I remember you mentioning it a while ago (I think). Are we signing up for them now, or is that sort of thing still not decided.

If theres a sign-up sheet or anything... point me in the right direction!

I'd definately make an effort to get involved in the next one of these.

btw Luke... whats going on with the Flying Car of yours then? I remember you mentioning it a while ago (I think). Are we signing up for them now, or is that sort of thing still not decided.

If theres a sign-up sheet or anything... point me in the right direction!

It is still in production. I will post preorders once I have a finished piece ready to show. :)

boyd: night all

luke314pi: I will add a deflector upgrade to the room

luke314pi: night boyd

boyd has left.

youbastards: bye guys, thanks again

youbastards has left.

Shamrock: so long

luke314pi: have a good one everyone!

minijeff has left.

Shamrock has left.

luke314pi has left.

TM2_Dinobot: okay, im back. what did i miss?

Priceless! :P

Thanks for the transcript anyway, TM2!

And I'm glad you're planing to do this again and even consider a different time! Great idea!