UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

World Cup 2006

Shanester

Whos going to be watching? I don't watch the game often, but I can't pass up World Cup action. I attended many games when the cup was held in the US back in 1994. It was a blast.

I will be watching my yanks play for sure.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm watching! Since the U.S. is playing so poorly, I'm rooting for Germany. Although the Swiss defense is sure impressive, and it would be fun to see some one like Tunisia move ahead.

The best part of watching soccer? You know the darn thing is going to last just under two hours! heh

Go England!

I just hope Italy gets the mumps or something. If not, I fear us Yanks are out.

Anyone know of any webcast sites for the games?

I'm watching what I can, mostly replays. Once in a while I'll use my slingbox, but can't do it at work so I'm doing it on my phone.

They should have had a service of some type, even it was like MLB.TV.

How is that slingbox? When I see that I think Jim Rome

I'm watching what I can, mostly replays. Once in a while I'll use my slingbox, but can't do it at work so I'm doing it on my phone.

They should have had a service of some type, even it was like MLB.TV.

How is that slingbox? When I see that I think Jim Rome

Works pretty good. I actually got it for watching baseball games, and other shows while working late during the week. Can't miss a game so I got the slingbox instead of the MLB.TV package. I like the fact that I can use it from my phone. Spooky, I had that Jim Rome feeling too. :blink:

TBT, you might appreciate this story.

Before I "settled down" and took a desk job, I was on the road as Dir of Operations for a sports coordinating company. If you won a trip to a sporting event or had a sporting event trip given to you as a corporate incentive, I probably helped put it together. Clients were Coke, Pepsi, Budweiser, Sprint, etc.

In 1994 I took a rowdy group of Brazilians from Chicago to Los Angeles for the World Cup matches. The final game was on my birthday that year, July 17. Me, my crew of about 50, and the Brazilians took up an entire Embassy Suites Hotel. I was a much younger Shane and sported a goatee and longer hair. The Brazilians (who spoke little English, I spoke very little Portugese), called me Lexi after Alexis Lalas of the US soccer team.

Brazil won the FIFA cup and these guys knew it was my birthday...so the party began. The leader of the group (this was a group of corporate bigwigs from Kodak SA) told the hotel barkeeper to keep a tray of Tequila shot s and beer going around at all times. The guys dragged me on stage and literally took the instruments out of the hands of the band and proceeded to serenade me all night. I even played some sort of maraccas for a while, but it gets real fuzzy. Worst hang over I have ever had, but one of the greatest memories of my life. We sang, danced and drank all night.

I will never forget that.

Great Story Shane :)

World cup victories will do that to you, I was lucky enough to be in Sydney for the Last Rugby World Cup, England won and the celebrations were crazy there were estimated to be over 200k Brits in Sydney that night...

I have memories of still being in the pub with a bunch of Brit and Aussie rugby fans at 11am the next morning after the game and thinking that although I felt fine(ish, this really was a case of drinking myself back sober :P) I don't think my body would have forgiven me if I'd have kept going.

See sports events give something to all fans even those who's playing days are well over ;)

T.

I have been watching the games at work all week. Today I was told to take tomorrow off, at first I was happy about this, then I relized that since I don't have cable, I won't be able to see the games.

I have never been more bummed about haveing a day off.

But at least I get to work on Saturday.... wait, that just doesn't sound right....

Hey Shanester! I working the LA finals in 1994, too! Mayhap I even saw you, I know our cameras spent plenty of time panning the Brazilian fans (looking for babes ;) ). Afterwards was pretty much all work for me though. heh

Those Brazilian women are wild. I was just about always on the clock, but they insisted that I go out and party with them. The leader of the group told my boss that it was a requirement that my crew be allowed to "socialize" with them.

First time I was ever encouraged to party!

For me football starts in Sept...so I'm out except for highlights on ESPN.

Amen to that, even though the CFL Regular Season started yesterday, but I more closely follow the NFL anyway. Also, I watch the highlights on TSN, not ESPN.

BTW, Is Sweeden still in the running? I watched one of their games, (and my heritage is partly Sweedish), so I'm cheering for them!

• 2 weeks later...

The way they're playing I'm finding it very difficult to muster the enthusiasm for England. Especially having seen my own team do so well in the premiership this season. Getting to the FA Cup final was a massive achievement and seeing the lads playing like they needed to win really brought home to me just how slipshod the national side are. They're paid too much and their lifestyles are too comfortable. Where's the hunger?

Look at Australia... Every game was a cup final they played out of their skins. Then look at our lot. Apart from Rooney and maybe Beckham when he's fit how many other players are running their arses off or for that matter running at opposing players who have the ball in order to put pressure on them. We let other teams play and then scramble in the area when we should be closing them down and forcing errors.

Having said that. Of course I want us to win. But I reckon the Germans are going to do it.

Seeing as Sweeden's gone now, I'm cheering for England, but I think Brazil's gonna take it home...

BTW: After Sweeden got the boot, I was cheering for Spain, but they got booted too, So then I started cheering for England!