UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Holy Grails in your collecting.

6" Hard Gay figure, which I've never even seen. But I want it HOOOOOOO. I'm surprised he hasn't gotten a figma even though Billy Herrington has.

Reimu Hakurei figma. I don't like the character that much but the figure is still awesome and my Marisa figma needs her best friend.

Chogokin Miku Hatsune. I was so close to making the preorder a few months back but I didn't have enough. I found out recently that I can still order her, but it has to be before October. What sets apart Chogokins from most figures is that they're made of diecast metal.

Edited by Dio

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I finally got my Gold and Silvers this year, I would have to say that my grail would be the 8-10 issues of Daredevil I need to have a complete run!

All are under issue number 30, and I have #1, so i should just get off my butt and finish the run, especially now that Marvel is ending the series at #512... :down::rolleyes:

All are under issue number 30, and I have #1, so i should just get off my butt and finish the run, especially now that Marvel is ending the series at #512... :down::rolleyes:

*cough* cheap marketing gimmick *cough*

Oh, excuse me.

Yup. but on the plus side there has been a new Power Man & Iron Fist series announced for 2011....but it sounds like 'Power Man' isn't Luke Cage... <_<

*insert large jpg file with word FAIL in large caps here*

I just watched one of my grails go yesterday.

There was a wave of Hasbro's Robot Heroes that was announced, manufactured and packaged, but for some reason never released here in the states. That wave included a set with Laserbeak and Prowl, my favorite G1 character. Needless to say, I was gutted when that one got put on ice (or whatever Hasbro does with things they make, then don't release).

For a while, the set went for $50 to $75 on ebay, then dried up about six months ago. Then, earlier this week, both figures were put up on ebay loose. Prowl jumped to $100 within a day. He stayed there for the rest of the auction time, so I figured someone overextended and scared everyone else away. Because it's ridiculous to pay $100 for a one-ounce piece of plastic, right?

Through various rationalization and creative bookkeeping techniques, I finally talked myself into beating this guy and getting my Prowl – I'd slide in at the last second with a $140 bid. Surely he wouldn't have bid that high, right? I mean, maybe he'd go that high, but he'd be hedging and bidding lower than that initially, right?

He wasn't. Sold for $142. Cry cry.

Edited by Lobsterman

Man-Lobster, those kinds of eBay losses suck, but I try to think of it this way--it isn't like the winning bidder only bid $2 higher. He probably bid $20-50 higher, and it just so happened that you two were the only ones willing to pay over $140 for the thing.

But at the end of the day, on things like that, you just have to bid the maximum amount that you are willing to pay. You don't know the other guy, or what he is thinking, or how many other guys are out there, so don't base your decisions on that. Just lay it out there on the line, decide on a price and stick with it, and if you lose, then you gave it your best shot based on your maximum cost. If you win, same thing. It may sting having to pay on the upper end, but you paid what you were willing to pay.

Unfortunately, I think the "competitive bidding" process throws all kinds of rational decisions out the window, so I try to always keep that perspective in the back of my mind.

Ouch. And yeah, I guess those are on my grail list also. I'm still holding out hope that one of these days they'll be produced again or, better yet, show up at TJ Maxx/Marshalls type stores. I guess I also need to add to my list the third wave of GI Joe Combat Heroes. I know I can get them from people in Canada, but I just never wanted to spend the extra money on them.

The Holy Grail that I am in search of is the "Holy Grail". I just can't seem to find the damn thing. My crazy dad has been doing grail research and keeping notes in a diary for most of his life. He found half of an old dusty stone tablet and then he just freaking vanished, leaving me his damn diary. I had to fly my ass all the way to Venice and wade through waist-deep human excrement in a sewer. Somehow I discovered the tomb of Sir Richard, a knight of the First Crusade, with a complete version of the stone tablet on his shield (which seems like a terrible place for it, I mean, shields get scratched to hell in battle). Just after I traced a copy of the shield, the whole damn place was suddenly on fire. Some crazy secret society called The Brotherhood of the Cruciform Sword was trying to kill me. I got the hell out of the sewer and stole a speedboat. Those crazy bastards also hopped into speedboats and started chasing me through Venice. But I opened a can of whoop ass and captured the secret society's leader. He told me that my dad was abducted to a Grünwald castle on the Austrian-German border. Shit. Now what the hell am I supposed to do?

It sucks being a collector sometimes. :(

The Holy Grail that I am in search of is the "Holy Grail". I just can't seem to find the damn thing. My crazy dad has been doing grail research and keeping notes in a diary for most of his life. He found half of an old dusty stone tablet and then he just freaking vanished, leaving me his damn diary. I had to fly my ass all the way to Venice and wade through waist-deep human excrement in a sewer. Somehow I discovered the tomb of Sir Richard, a knight of the First Crusade, with a complete version of the stone tablet on his shield (which seems like a terrible place for it, I mean, shields get scratched to hell in battle). Just after I traced a copy of the shield, the whole damn place was suddenly on fire. Some crazy secret society called The Brotherhood of the Cruciform Sword was trying to kill me. I got the hell out of the sewer and stole a speedboat. Those crazy bastards also hopped into speedboats and started chasing me through Venice. But I opened a can of whoop ass and captured the secret society's leader. He told me that my dad was abducted to a Grünwald castle on the Austrian-German border. Shit. Now what the hell am I supposed to do?

It sucks being a collector sometimes. :(

Just me talkin' here, but I'd go after him at the castle... just make sure you can speak in the absolute worst Scottish accent ever heard by man. You're gonna need that to get past the guard. It'll work, trust me.

Man-Lobster, those kinds of eBay losses suck, but I try to think of it this way--it isn't like the winning bidder only bid $2 higher. He probably bid $20-50 higher, and it just so happened that you two were the only ones willing to pay over $140 for the thing.

But at the end of the day, on things like that, you just have to bid the maximum amount that you are willing to pay. You don't know the other guy, or what he is thinking, or how many other guys are out there, so don't base your decisions on that. Just lay it out there on the line, decide on a price and stick with it, and if you lose, then you gave it your best shot based on your maximum cost. If you win, same thing. It may sting having to pay on the upper end, but you paid what you were willing to pay.

Unfortunately, I think the "competitive bidding" process throws all kinds of rational decisions out the window, so I try to always keep that perspective in the back of my mind.

Solid advice. What happens to be sometimes is that I set that threshold, then someone tops it and I begin to think, well, what's a few more dollars. But you've got to stay strong. Remind yourself that whatever it is you're after, it will be listed again.

The other thing I do sometimes is not go to my max right away, thinking that if I get outbid I can still go up a few bucks, but then I forget about the auction, or I'm away from the computer, and end up loosing for less then I would have paid. That's always annoying.

Yeah, the two thoughts I try to avoid are: 1) Nobody's gonna bid more than X amount, so I'll set my bid there even though I would be willing to pay the higher Y amount; and 2) Oh, noes! I was outbid in the last 10 seconds! It's just $10 more. I gotta do it!

As far as minimates go, the holy grail I've been after for so ling is the Wally West Flash javelin variant. With the martian manhunter and all but frankly, the Javelin and the Martian don't matter at all to me. I know it's not super rare or anything, but that is the Flash I've always wanted to have. Not the miniflyer one with the big dumb smile, but this one, with the cocky grin and all. But this dream has become reality for me as of 2 weeks ago when I managed to find one for just under $25 (no Javelin or Martian but as I said, I don't much care for them) and it's perfect. Now I actually have to find something new to quest after. The Jubilee from this year's Comic-Con would be great to finish off my 90's X-Men (once the Prof. X in wave 37 comes out) but that's not a big deal.

Anyways, that's my little story.

I don't chase after the super rare collector items like gold or silver spidey, so most of *my* must have higher priced items have been found. (Wave 28 Deadpool, Dark Pheonix, Firestar) All in all, in my first year of collecting, I've gotten pretty lucky finding things at a affordable (to me) price.

Filling out my DC Minimates collection has been far more hit and miss. Especially Wave 7, those keep eluding me.

• 3 weeks later...
I won series 28 Deadpool on ebay today. One Grail found.

Congrats! A reasonable price I hope? :D

To share my grails:

Comics - Uncanny X-Men 1 September 1963 (easy to say Action Comics 1, but I like to ground myself within the confines of reality, and besides, my favorite comic is X-Men)

Stamp - Penny Black

Magic the Gathering - Black Lotus

NBA Card - Rookie Card of Michael Jordan (I already have my favorite player's rookie card - Magic Johnson)

Toys - I already have MOC Marvel Legends Deadpool. I need the complete DC Direct Endless Family and a reasonably prices Sandman statue.

Minimates - I already have Wave 28 Deadpool. I still need tons of DC characters, but I don't think I can classify any of them as my holy grail. If there will be Endless minimates, then maybe.

:D

For minimates I have most of my grails. There are a few that I want to track down but are not extremely expensive anymore ( wave 2 black spider-man, stealth ironman, classic thor or bearded thor variant).

One Grail for me would be the complete DC Minimates collection which I had at one point (nearly all sans martian manhunter and a few later wave mates that are easy to find), one day I would like to get them all again.

My only other Grail for collecting right now would be the Toynami Futurama Doctor Zoidberg and complete Robot Devil.