UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Holy Grails in your collecting.

That is actually one of the coolest monster truck concepts I've ever seen. It's like a Corvette Stingray on giant wheels, plus the awesomeness of Doc Strange. Very nice!

> Remember the 90's? When collecting cards was a thing that almost everyone was into. Collectible Card stores seemed to pop up all over the place. These bad boys are what got me into Comics.

Oh, man... trading cards. I still have a binder with complete sets of Marvel Cards series 1–5, with holograms and everything. And I'm constantly dismayed when I look on ebay to see what they're going for.

Is there anything from the 90s that's worth anything?

I have the same cards...and comics.... not that I expect it to be worth lots of monies, but its value has depreciated below original retail. oh well, I havnt looked at them in over 15 years, so that makes them essentially worthless?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have any figures that I'd consider a holy grail (maybe Scarlet Spider?) but I was able to get a copy of the board game Fireball Island which is one of the hardest games to find complete and cheap- currently starting at $150 or higher on ebay. The box itself is the size of the hood of a car!

Are you saying Scarlet Spider Minimate is your holy grail ?

Awesome!

That is actually one of the coolest monster truck concepts I've ever seen. It's like a Corvette Stingray on giant wheels, plus the awesomeness of Doc Strange. Very nice!

Thanks guys, I am pretty thrilled with it especially with Neils signature on it now, a way fun piece of my own personal history

I don't have any figures that I'd consider a holy grail (maybe Scarlet Spider?) but I was able to get a copy of the board game Fireball Island which is one of the hardest games to find complete and cheap- currently starting at $150 or higher on ebay. The box itself is the size of the hood of a car!

Are you saying Scarlet Spider Minimate is your holy grail ?

Essentially yes. I have a few minimates that border on the line of holy grail and can't believe I finally found one. Here's my list:

-Giant Sized Nightcrawler BEFORE the Excalibur set was released/announced

-Scarlet Spider, found at FYE just as I was walking out of the store

-Original X-Men Angel given to me as a bday gift

That could be a whole other thread:

Holy Grail Wish List.

For me?

-A reasonably priced replica of the Rocketeer helmet and rocket pack.

-John Hammond's cane from Jurassic Park

Edited by Jeff

• 1 month later...

I collected the Playmates Star Trek figures from the late 90's and have almost all of them. I am missing the elusive 1701 figures from the original release. I did buy the box set of them when they reissued them with out the foot numbering system, but not the same. I also I am missing the Data in red command uniform, and TNG Thomas Riker in packaging (I do have a loose one I got at a garage sale for $2 with all accessories.) Then there is the Transporter series Deanna Troi and Reginald Barclay that were announced but I don't think ever got released other than prototype form. I was able to get the Special Convention figures of Sulu and Scotty from the second TOS pilot "Where No Man Has Gone Before". I did get the European card versions of Dr. Crusher and Seven of Nine. Other than the 1701 figures and Data and T. Riker, I have them all.

I also collected the AA/DST 7" Star Trek figures. I had all of them at first then they got so very hard to find so I gave up on them. I am missing Worf & Gowron 2 pack, Spock & Kirk from ST4 2pack and Romulan Kirk and the Romulan solider. I am missing Captian Picard in command Chair and the Kirk and Pike in Command chairs. But I just lost interest in them when they got so exclusive and elusive and made in such small quantities.

As for Minimates, I have all the Star Trek minimates released for retail at this time with my Holy Grail being Elf Spock which I only have the one. I typically try to get at least two of each if not more. I preordered the custom case from Luke for the LCS Legacy custom case now I just have to be sure to get the TRU release for at least three sets as I need to customize for other characters.

Holy Grail Wish List.

For me?

nike air mags with working power laces.

My Holy Grail would have to be centered around two characters - Batman (Terry McGinnis) and the Scarlet Spider. Here are a few pieces that I have in the collection (pictures to follow):

- Batman Beyond vs Mr. Freeze lamp - this was exclusive to the WB store and extremely tough to find

- Scarlet Spider Attakus bust - I believe this may have only been released in France and was another one of those tough to find items

- K-B Exclusive Scarlet Spider and Spider-Man 2099 action figures (MIP)

- Iron Spider Spider-Man sideshow statue - probably the most money I've ever spent on a statue....

I also believe that I have every Ben Reilly published appearance since his introduction in the original clone saga storyline (Amazing Spider-Man #149-151). The toughest comic to find to complete this collection was the 1995 Marvel stockholders report that featured a brief appearance by Spidey.

EDIT: Photos have been uploaded. Please disregard any signs of dust and the poor lighting reflected in some of these shots. Hopefully, they'll still give a good enough representation of some of the items noted above. You'll notice that I am a big Scarlet Spider and Spider-Man fan. The mates shown on the top shelf is every Spidey mate made so far, with the exception of the Amazing Spider-Man movie mates (on a different shelf) and the Silver and Gold mates.

post-2053-0-38125300-1367112839_thumb.jp

post-2053-0-63982700-1367112887_thumb.jp

post-2053-0-08320800-1367112919_thumb.jp

post-2053-0-90987300-1367112949_thumb.jp

post-2053-0-57412500-1367112984_thumb.jp

post-2053-0-90984800-1367113016_thumb.jp

post-2053-0-33096000-1367113182_thumb.jp

post-2053-0-01305600-1367113210_thumb.jp

post-2053-0-65324800-1367113240_thumb.jp

post-2053-0-78745100-1367113267_thumb.jp

post-2053-0-44620400-1367113294_thumb.jp

Edited by jjwspider

Holy Grail Wish List.

For me?

I've come close to that. A movie buff from my work when ballistic when I told him I was going to be Marty for Halloween. He found a hoverboard prop for me that I have on display in my basement. I remember seeing it under glass while waiting in line at the BTTF the ride in Florida years ago and a la Wayne's World thought to myself: "OH YES. IT WILL BE MINE." Many many years later I have it and get goose bumps every time I pick it up. If only it actually worked. Two more years right? (:

Holy Grail Wish List.

For me?

I've come close to that. A movie buff from my work when ballistic when I told him I was going to be Marty for Halloween. He found a hoverboard prop for me that I have on display in my basement. I remember seeing it under glass while waiting in line at the BTTF the ride in Florida years ago and a la Wayne's World thought to myself: "OH YES. IT WILL BE MINE." Many many years later I have it and get goose bumps every time I pick it up. If only it actually worked. Two more years right? (:

nice!!!! hoverboard would be number 2. Two more years indeed....

As a vegetarian, i've gotta say that the idea of a Bull's penis cane wouldn't have held too much interest for me.

Now that i've seen one, i an say with all certainty that it is nit for me. LOL

I collected the Playmates Star Trek figures from the late 90's and have almost all of them. I am missing the elusive 1701 figures from the original release. I did buy the box set of them when they reissued them with out the foot numbering system, but not the same. I also I am missing the Data in red command uniform, and TNG Thomas Riker in packaging (I do have a loose one I got at a garage sale for $2 with all accessories.) Then there is the Transporter series Deanna Troi and Reginald Barclay that were announced but I don't think ever got released other than prototype form. I was able to get the Special Convention figures of Sulu and Scotty from the second TOS pilot "Where No Man Has Gone Before". I did get the European card versions of Dr. Crusher and Seven of Nine. Other than the 1701 figures and Data and T. Riker, I have them all.

I also collected the AA/DST 7" Star Trek figures. I had all of them at first then they got so very hard to find so I gave up on them. I am missing Worf & Gowron 2 pack, Spock & Kirk from ST4 2pack and Romulan Kirk and the Romulan solider. I am missing Captian Picard in command Chair and the Kirk and Pike in Command chairs. But I just lost interest in them when they got so exclusive and elusive and made in such small quantities.

As for Minimates, I have all the Star Trek minimates released for retail at this time with my Holy Grail being Elf Spock which I only have the one. I typically try to get at least two of each if not more. I preordered the custom case from Luke for the LCS Legacy custom case now I just have to be sure to get the TRU release for at least three sets as I need to customize for other characters.

I recently re-discovered my TNG collection and remembered how fun it was to try and find some of the more rare figures in this set. This was the first line I actively collected after I started earning some extra spending money and I have pictures of at least one birthday and Christmas that was almost completely dominated by TNG figures and accessories. Shame that the line never caught on the way it could have. Here's hoping the minimate expansion helps full support a Star Trek resurgence in the action figure domain.

• 6 months later...