UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Holy Grails in your collecting.

Unification Spock would be a welcome addition to this Trek fan's Minimate collection.

My DC Minimate collection is missing Man-Bat and Martian Manhunter (the latter due to a trade that went unfulfilled).

Somehow I missed out on the Iron Spider-Man 'mate but since he was missing the legs protruding from his back, I'm hoping DST revisits the figure someday with an upgrade.

Like so many other Star Wars collectors, I need a Vintage Yak Face and Blue Snaggletooth to complete that childhood set.

What I really need is a time machine, in part to save a few of the toys I ended up ditching as a wee lad.

Oh, if only... lol!

As far as "Grails" go, for Minimates, I'd love to get a TRU Warpath (w/ X-Factor Angel). I only recently became aware of this figure, but since seeing it I have beemn pining over it.

I most likely will just go through with my original plan to "make" myself a Warpath out of Thunderbird and X-Force Warpath (w/Prof. X).

Happy hunting everyone!

Edited by MMao

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stuff I have...

Warpath & Angel, and I actually feel pretty good about them because I didn't get horribly ripped off. I think I paid like 25 or 30 for Warpath, and Angel I got FREE via a generous trade here, which all things considered isn't bad for the pair.

Blue suit Professor X is another scare one I happen to own.

Truth told, I own every Marvel mate except Gold and Silver Spidey, so anything rare short of them, lol...

I'm a huge Beast Wars fan... and one prize of one of my favorite non-minimate collections is the Ravage in my Beast Wars collection. Beast Wars Ravage was only ever released in Japan, and has always been hard to come by in the states, but I picked him up on ebay years ago for about $80 boxed. Though I opened him... because I open everything... lolz. He goes for about $200 boxed now, and $125ish loose.

I also own several other rare (mostly Japanese) variants of Beast Wars toys, and have the entire cast of the cartoon show (save one, I'll mention later) and then some, in multiple versions in most cases.

Stuff I don't have...

Gold and Silver Spidey, lol.

When I used to collect Marvel Legends, Dragon Man was my holy grail... but now that I haven't kept up on them, and there are a few dozen figures I don't have... I care less about him.

Oh! HERE'S one... I used to collect Digimon figurines, when Digimon was still a thing. They came in sets of 5 or 6 figures a piece. And they released probably 50 of these sets overall, or more. Sets 35, 36 and 37 were released in very scarce numbers, and while I managed to track down 35 on ebay one lucky day... I never did manage to get my hands on 36 and 37. I still search ebay occasionally hoping they'll pop up one lucky day, but for years... yeah... nuthin. Bugs the hell out of me having that hole in my collection.

Another thing I frequently search ebay for with no results is Kooshlings. I loved those in my youth. I have most of the easier to find ones, but there were a few later-released rare ones that I'd love to get my hands on... but there's really no secondary market for Kooshlings, so the later releases are somewhat impossible to track down. All you ever see on ebay is lots of mixed ones, that are usually just common ones I have already...

And regarding that Beast Wars collection I mentioned... I never got a Transmetal 2 Blackarachnia for some reason... and I really should to complete my show roster. She isn't really cheap, but she isn't really expensive either. I've certainly paid more for a few figures... but for whatever reason I just never managed to buy her. Could never seem to find the right price, at the right time... when I had spare money to blow, lol. I really need to do that some day... I just keep not getting to it... hehehe...

The holy grail of my Beast Wars collection (with Ravage out of the way) is a Japanese Terrorsaur. I have an American Terrorsaur, but the Japanese one (like many Japanese versions) had a much more show-accurate paintjob, and is one of the rarest of the Japanese figures. Problem is it goes for like $60-$80 when it shows up on ebay... which ain't all that often. And it was originally a $5 toy... so I can never talk myself into paying that much for a toy that was originally so cheap, and I already have a slightly less accurate version of... lol. Still, I'd love to own one someday. But I do have a Japanese Rattrap, so that's cool.

I'd also love to get a knock-off Nightscream from Beast Machines. The official figure was way too huge, and out of scale with the rest. There was a knockoff one that was much smaller and better scaled, which I always wanted to get, but they eventually dried up when Beast Machines went off the air, and now I can't find them anywhere anymore.

Edited by Gillbob316

For Minimates.....

Have pretty much most of the ones that I want. (except of course Gold and Silver Spidey). Maybe the Sentinal and Galactus Maximates.

Got one of my Thundercats grails a few months ago.

Tongue-a-saurus. Your lucky if you see any more then 3 of these pop up a year on ebay. I got mine through an old lead on a message board.

d1adbab7.jpg

e1b0411c.jpg

4f66b6e0.jpg

Edited by Ninja Mate

• 3 weeks later...

Most of my grails are actually Xevoz. I'm missing most of the last wave and always seem to be out bid on eBay. I do stay pretty conservative while bidding though. It's hard to pay a lot when you know what the original retail price was. Maybe someday.

No real minimate grails. I still need most of Spideys villains like Mysterio, Shocker, Kraven and others who are just a little more expensive on ebay than I'd like to pay. Oh and Crossbones. Still need a Crossbones ... But I'm not chasing down a 28 Deadpool or Gold Spidey or anything.

I'm such a casual collector, and really haven't been around the boards too much before, I'm amazed at the things I have that other people consider grails. I got the Warpath and X-Factor Angel just because I needed to finish my X-Factor lineup, grabbed the Bullseye/Moonstone set with no problem, and Hulkbuster Iron Man because he's awesome. Never knew they were that scarce.

A grail of mine I finally got was two Angels, original X-Men and Archangel; I'm terribly cheap and had to find just the right ebay auctions.

Grail still trying to get: Scarlet Spider.

For Minimates.....

Have pretty much most of the ones that I want. (except of course Gold and Silver Spidey). Maybe the Sentinal and Galactus Maximates.

Got one of my Thundercats grails a few months ago.

Tongue-a-saurus. Your lucky if you see any more then 3 of these pop up a year on ebay. I got mine through an old lead on a message board.

d1adbab7.jpg

e1b0411c.jpg

4f66b6e0.jpg

Whoa! That is an awesome score, I've never seen one of those go for cheap.

• 1 month later...

Here are two of my grails. One of today's best artists (David Finch) and the fact that he isn't doing commissions any more makes me very happy. The other is because I like collecting Supegirl and Ed Mcguinness art. I overpaid for the Superigirl splash but could care less cause it will not be leaving my collection.

post-134-0-66726800-1344196998_thumb.jpg

post-134-0-77110100-1344197124_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hawkeye's Junk

• 6 months later...

A little thread necro, but I'm going to chalk it up to the idea that Grails don't happen every day. I have two friends here in Il who work for the Monster Truck / Motorbike circut. Now its not my thing by any stretch but a couple of years ago the two of them spearheaded a marvel project. being quite the Marvel geek I didn't hesitate to give my unsolicited input into their project. One of my gripes was a consistent "where's Dr Strange?" The fella who gives design input into the trucks responded with this wonderful concept art for a Doc truck. I've had it for a while now really wanting his signature on it in ComicCon fashion. he stopped by last night and I got to spend time gushing like a true fan boy. Maybe a silly one, but, Grail achieved!

Edited by BannersID

I only have 3 MIB Grails left and I do pay hunting fees *hint *hint:

Holiday Hal JLU figure

Kame DBZ AB figure

Fat Janemba DBZ AB figure

I am glad to say have have no more minimate grails thanks to such an awesome community. This site helped me find everything I've missed in the minimate lines. I do want some extra Exclusive BB Gators as I only have 1 set MIB but that's not urgent.

I did obtain the following MIB Grails in the past 5 years:

Barcus Guyver Figure w/ Test Tube Prototype

Omega Shenron Dragon Ball GT Jakks Figure

Sigma Rilldo Dragon Ball GT Jakks Figure (2nd form)

4 Vegeta Saiyan Space Pods Jakks Figure Vehicle

Gold/Silver Spidey minimate

Silver BB Gator

Edited by highassroller

I am lucky to have most of what I consider a "grail". That one item that forever eludes me is the Minimates display that we won't talk about...

I've always been on the look out for the Marvel Milestones Spiderman on flagpole statue also. I love it but it was a low run piece and rarely shows up for sale.

My holy grail I actually bought today. I was always looking for the fear itself worthy set, but I didn't want to spend $20 for it. I was only looking for loose ones, but the prices on eBay were never worth it. Today however, on a little stop to Newbury comics, I found a full set for $12. Another of my holy grails was a gift from my brother. I was always looking for a claptrap figure( for those who don't know claptrap is a little robot in a game called borderlands). Well on Christmas, I had gotten the best surprise. My brother had bought it for me. I also just ordered the blue version of claptrap, as I wanted to see the color difference and the difference in quality. It should come tomorrow. (Sorry for the long post)(if there are any mistakes, sorry but I am on my phone typing this)

When i was about 12 years old, a friend of mine bought a pack of '94 Fleer Ultra X-men cards.

Remember the 90's? When collecting cards was a thing that almost everyone was into. Collectible Card stores seemed to pop up all over the place. These bad boys are what got me into Comics.

41ZDQ4d5CCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I loved that they commissioned new paintings by artists for each card, rather than just recycling comic book images. They're actual still my favourite set of collector cards to this day because they combine my two favourite things. X-Men and Art.

They had some great limited edition sub-sets including a Danger-room set by the Brothers Hildebrandt. Fatal Attractions foil embossed cards. Awesome!

What i didn't know was that WalMart had been given additional sub-sets for it's packs. a set of 6 Greatest Battles. Gold & Blue team triptychs and... Silver X-Overs. The Silver X-Overs were just re-issued versions of the x-overs (cross overs) issued in the base set.... but with foil embossing.

Anyway - Living all the way down in Australia.... and '94 being a bit before we had access to online shopping in my home, i was only able to buy the packs that were distributed to Australia.

It wasn't until years later that i discovered they existed and started trying to hunt them down. I have managed to find a few of them, but i still have 2 to go. They sell for various prices - i've seen a set of all six go for as low as $150, and as high as $450.

At the moment, they're my big grail. With a little luck - i will have completed this collecting within 20 years of having started it. LOL.

Edited by Nessex

Can you drop me a PM with which ones you need?

I know for a fact I have a complete set of the Ultra 95s complete with many duplicates from the Walmart exclusives and such and in doing so I'm pretty certain I ended up with some of the 94s.

As a brit I empathise with the annoyance of getting all the annoying Walmart foiled versions of the cards.

I don't have any figures that I'd consider a holy grail (maybe Scarlet Spider?) but I was able to get a copy of the board game Fireball Island which is one of the hardest games to find complete and cheap- currently starting at $150 or higher on ebay. The box itself is the size of the hood of a car!

not necessarily a holy grail but this past summer at a con I got a secret wars black spider-man. That was one of my favorite toys as a kid. I remember tying string around his wristing and swinging him all over the place. He's sitting on my desk right now.

It's not the rarest piece but seeing how he is almost sold out from everywhere (big chief is sold out,some online stores still carry a small amount) and goes for over 200 bucks on eBay my current grail is my big chief 11th doctor! You may argue that I ruined him by repainting his hair but they were hand painted either way. Also there were parts where there was no paint for the hair so in a way I made it better. It looks more realistic too. The lighter brown lines made it somewhat toy-ish.

As for stuff that I'm still searching for the medicom spawn and hot toys ghost rider are on the top of my list. Spawn is hard to find and expensive for what he is. The rider hovers around 500 dollars so yeah.

Edited by Kostisfire

That is actually one of the coolest monster truck concepts I've ever seen. It's like a Corvette Stingray on giant wheels, plus the awesomeness of Doc Strange. Very nice!

Remember the 90's? When collecting cards was a thing that almost everyone was into. Collectible Card stores seemed to pop up all over the place. These bad boys are what got me into Comics.

Oh, man... trading cards. I still have a binder with complete sets of Marvel Cards series 1–5, with holograms and everything. And I'm constantly dismayed when I look on ebay to see what they're going for.

Is there anything from the 90s that's worth anything?