UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU wave 8 - FF!

minijeff

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

picked the non short packs a few days ago. i like the strech thing that came with reed, plus the victor von doom head works well for any deapool customs, and might work well for a freddy krueger head as well.

I wasn't planning on buying these but I was at a TRU in Sacramento this weekend and saw the Sue / Mole Man set, and thought she looked way better than the original Sue that came out a few years ago so I picked her up. Now I'll have to get the rest of the team.

I wish Reed came with some stretchy arms in the new blue. :(

Same here I kit bashed an old Reed with the stretch base from the BD Reed and the stretched arms and it looked great. The new Ben and Johnny were workable but the updated Sue is such an improvement that my Kit Bashed Reed had to go so the team would match.

So, can you finish him up soon so the rest of us can get one?

Sure. Send me an Atlantian and Ill get started.

I would, but would you believe I don't have any to spare? :blush:

After posting that pic?! <_<

Edited by Rheul

Just me, but I love the lighter blues on these guys, really makes the details pop. They've worn different shades in the comics over the years -- these look to be the uniforms they wore in the Marvel Knights '4' series, given the lighter blue, seam down the front and shiny logo.

Not saying the stretchy base and stretchy arms aren't a cool combo, but thanks to the TRU Reed matching the old school blue we can have that too.

I'm guessing I'm in that minority again but this wave is doing very little for me. I am appreciating the 'updatedness' of them, especially Sue Storm, but I'm struggling to see what else I can enthuse about ? Sorry.

I'm in the same boat. My TRU has all of them. I picked them up, thought about it for about 2 seconds, and decided they weren't enough for me to buy.

I'm guessing I'm in that minority again but this wave is doing very little for me. I am appreciating the 'updatedness' of them, especially Sue Storm, but I'm struggling to see what else I can enthuse about ? Sorry.

I'm in the same boat. My TRU has all of them. I picked them up, thought about it for about 2 seconds, and decided they weren't enough for me to buy.

I kind of want the Namor pack, but I've spent a long time trying to justify the purchase and I just can't.

I kind of want the Namor pack, but I've spent a long time trying to justify the purchase and I just can't.

Are you After Namor or the Atlantean? I'd be happy to trade out one of my spare Namors (not that they'll be in any kind of short supply, i guess) if it's him you're after but don't wanna buy the 2-pack.

Just me, but I love the lighter blues on these guys, really makes the details pop. They've worn different shades in the comics over the years -- these look to be the uniforms they wore in the Marvel Knights '4' series, given the lighter blue, seam down the front and shiny logo.

I agree completely. The shade of blue is my favorite thing about these figures. It clearly marks them as the modern FF and makes them better than simple rehashes of the earlier figures. I don't miss the stretchy arms and would trade them any day for the base. I've never displayed the old Reed with the arms but the new one is absolutely displayed with the base.

Today I decided to go ahead and get the Reed/Doom, Thing/Torch and Sue/Mole sets from TRU.

I am going to try to make a custom Santa Claus Minimate that I will be using Moleman for. I will likely keep my FF mates as they are because they are one of the few Marvel teams I do enjoy. I never really collected any Marvel minimates before. I had already purchased two of the Namor/Atlantean Soldier packs because I was going to use the soldiers to make Andorian from Star Trek. I then realized the hair units from Namor look close to Romulan hair so I am now working on Romulans mostly from TNG era.

My opinion of the new FF mates come from someone who never has seen the original release of the FF in minimate form before.

Torch is a cool looking figure. I sort of wish I had and Ice Man to go with him.

Thing is a bit bulky but the hands do seem a little dark compared to the chest and arms.

Sue: Great figure as well. I just don't care for her hair.

Reed: niceer looking with the streched base instead of his legs.

Doom and Moleman: not up to the level I expected. Like I stated Moleman will become a custom Santa soon. Doom, I may keep him as doom but I may part him out to customs like I am doing with Namor and the Atlantean soldiers. The cape on Moleman sort of sucks because it is loose and does not make itself able to be used on other figures nice.

There is my opinion. I just wish the Secret Wars Box Set was cheaper than $13.99 because if it was $9.99 or less I would have gotten that set. I want Beyonder and Pulse for some customs I am working on.

I love the look of that Invisible Woman turning invisible only on one half. That really pops way more than all four limbs phasing.

I dig the new blue as well, but agree it would have been nice to get some stretch arms with Reed. It still would have been a no-new-parts wave.

I'm a bit sick of the 'Blast Stand' we keep getting with figures. I think the flame base that came with the ConF4 is a great stand and wouldn't mind seeing it used again sometime soon. . .

just wanna share .... i saw like 5 of each @ tru peabody as of 4:30pm today and a lot of those fireman, swat minimates... i think MAX? (not so sure about the name of the line)

hope this helps for those who dont have them yet

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to travelling further afield & picking these up ( my local TRU is awash with IronMan Movie, Ghostbuster and Universal minimates but no wave 8 or Minimate Max yet.).

I actually like the wave, sure they are retreads for the most part but they are well done ( except Thing) and I like the balance of a team of 4 with 3/4 bad guys as a wave.

These are the first minimates I've opened and put out for display for a while just because they work so well as a group display.

T.

• 5 months later...

Here's a pic of Thing. It uses the arms and legs of TRU thing with the torso and head of Wave 37 thing. I didn't really like all the slip over parts on W37 Thing, so this let's him be bulking without sacrificing the Minimate essence, imo. TRU thing thankfully had those tampoed arms. So basically where I wasn't satisfied with either Thing release, I've combined them into one that I do like quite a bit. HB Iron Man and Klaw are there for size comparisons.

post-850-0-47313900-1304770759_thumb.jpg