UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU wave 8 - FF!

minijeff

I picked up Doom/Reed and Thing/Torch today. Last ones left at the ol' reliable Lawrenceville TRU. From the promo pics I wasn't really keen on these, but they are actually pretty rad.

Doom looks ten times better with the actual collar piece under his hood instead of it just being painted on. He may be my favorite so far.

Reed is a passable upgrade. Not too much to say about him except that I'm glad his strecthy torso piece was included.

Torch looks great with the mix of translucent and painted parts, and of course his base is one of the best created so far, so I'm always glad to see it thrown in for flying characters.

My least favorite coming in was thing. I hate the skinny arms big guys, and the awful Ultimate Hulk elongated torso, but with a few minor adjustments he's really cool. I mashed to the brow as far down as it would go to make him look more menacing and less goofy. Then I pulled the boots down so that they matched up with the painted black boots underneath. This gives him proper proportions and makes the horrible torso not so horrible.

A bang-up set so far. Looking forward to finding the rest.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I very nearly ordered these on the website this morning but figured I wait at least until my TRU opened and then call to see if they got them and to my surprise they had them! So I hurried over and picked up my sets and I love all of these. My only complaint is Mole Man's cape. I am glad to have an updated version of all of the FF and some other great additions like Dr Doom.

Well my local Toys R Us sucks. They removed all tags for Marvel Minimates stuff because "We hadn't gotten any in in a number of weeks."

They had the Universal Monsters ones, but was too annoyed to care and came home and ordered the Fantastic 4 off the online store while I still could.

Seriously I am SO sick of exclusives. If a store isn't going to carry a line that is supposed to be exclusive to it, then there's no point in giving them exclusives.

I found these. Honestly I don't see any improvement over the first FF wave releases, or especially the SDCC box set. I find it interesting through that the swirly piece that came with Reed is the same one that came with the BD Reed/WW Hulk, yet the BD one mates the color to the older releases!

I found these. Honestly I don't see any improvement over the first FF wave releases, or especially the SDCC box set. I find it interesting through that the swirly piece that came with Reed is the same one that came with the BD Reed/WW Hulk, yet the BD one mates the color to the older releases!

I think the big thing is that they're more modern interpretations of the Fantastic Four really that has people after them. One of the reasons I'm guilty of actually. >_> Of course I only bought the F4 members boxes. Could care less about the Namor and blue Ares...er, Atlantean Soldier as I already have a good enough pair of Namors from previous releases.

Nothing in South Jersey so far...

How far south?

Burlington-Cherry Hill area. Not willing to go much further when they're online. ;)

Hope you have better luck than me though!! :)

That Cherry Hill TRU is a wasteland. Same also holds true most times for Burlington. Good thing I work near the Lawrenceville store. That place has worked out well for me more times than I can count.

I'm surprised how much I like this wave.

I'm not a fan of the Fantastic Four but want a Reed to go with the rest of Illuminati and figured he needs the rest of his team.

I think Reed and Sue are perfect, but I feel they're sort of boring characters. Perfectly showing their powers without drawing too much attention or being all crazy with too many parts.

I wasn't a big fan of the look of Invaders Torch, but the painted eyes/collar/belt/gloves/boots and black line work on Johnny look spectacular! Really makes him pop.

I originally thought I'd use parts from TRU Namor to enhance Defenders Namor... but as it turns out I like the look of TRU Namor MUCH more when I compared them side by side (the vest on Defenders Namor looks a bit frumpy), it's going to be a mater of taste on which on is better for most people, and in my opinion TRU Namor is my new "clothed Namor" (I'd love for them to do Excalibur Nightcrawler this way, with the original's chest piece replaced with sharks for a slimmer look)

I got the Atlantean Soldiers for fodder (Lobo hair and Ares helmets!) but here's a fun thing you can do: take your extra Sue and Reed limbs (you are displaying them powered up right?) and replace the Soldiers' legs with them... there! now you have a super crummy super quick Dr.Manhattan in boots!

I REALLY like Doom, I took off his cuffs and holster and replaced his boots with normal feet and now I have "jogging hoodie Doom" ready for lounging around on a lazy sunday or a work out on the Cosmic Treadmill (yes I know that's a DC thing, but Reed would probably make one if he thought about it)

Moleman feels like someone made a quick custom, it looks like him, it almost works and looks offical, but the parts clearly weren't meant for use with each other so his torso doesn't snap into his cape which covers his face because his feet are too short... A for effort, but Check Minus on delivery

I hate the Thing, well okay, I don't hate him, I'd be fine with him if the textured one wasn't coming soon. I do really like the shade of orange he's cast in, it's just muted enough to not be garsh but bright enough to pop, I hope the Wave 37 one is the same shade... also worth noting is that his face is a mirror image of the one in the solicit for Wave 37 and it looks much better with rock texture on it. I also like this Thing wears pants, I think I'll get a second Wave 37 Thing and give him TRU Thing's lower torso (after bulking his thighs like I did with my DKR Batman custom http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/Dr....ead/dkrmm1.png) so I have the option of Trunks or Dignity Thing!

Nothing in South Jersey so far...

How far south?

Burlington-Cherry Hill area. Not willing to go much further when they're online. ;)

Hope you have better luck than me though!! :)

That Cherry Hill TRU is a wasteland. Same also holds true most times for Burlington. Good thing I work near the Lawrenceville store. That place has worked out well for me more times than I can count.

Huh...every time i go to Cherry Hill, which is not often, i usually find whatever has taken me months to anywhere else. Weird that it doesn't for you...but yea i agree with Burlington; i'm like 5 minutes away, so i'm always up there, and while they have been getting better...it's just terrible fiding product in there. Like, i thank the Gods when i get to go to Cherry Hill. It's that much better of a change of pace.

Anyway, ordered my Wave (and a Brave and the Bold Chemo...shhhhh...) after i found a Rewards coupon; one of each, with two Atlanteans and two Reeds; i figure if i find it in stores, i can always pick up another Namor set. Can't wait for Sue though; she'll make the Wave for me, with Reed a close second.

i found all of 'em except the invisible woman/mole man 2-pack today. nice lookin' toys!

shout out to pavehawk: did you score on the latest TRU 'mates, bro? how did ya do this time? (i found mine at the TRU on dixie highway)