UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU wave 8 - FF!

minijeff

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprisingly these turned up pretty early in their release cycle at my TRU; usually we're the last to get something like this. I'm impressed overall by this wave though the I think the duds are definitely Namor and the Atlantean Soldier. In fact, my pack didn't come with the Cable gun and the soldier's chest armor was warped pretty badly. I think he'd be better if not just for the solid black pants. Maybe they could've retooled Skarr's loincloth? Namor's got an odd expression but the wings are a cool addition. I do wonder why they didn't use the belt from the Defenders box though. Thing's a little goofy but it's a look that hasn't been done before and the big boots do add a little more height to him. Weirdly the rock tampo doesn't go all the way around the back of his head or the insides of his arms. Torch is a nice update though I wish he came with a normal head, chest and hairpiece! It'd be cool to have a completely normal Johnny, maybe the single most ignored FF character variant outside of normal Ben Grimm. Sue's great and the free flight stand's a great bonus but the Mole Man is really hard to stand. I do wish he had a more modest cape though; are there any frayed capes out there they could've reused? Reed's probably the best update wise though I too wish he had the stretch arms in this color. I think 1st appearance Doom's the winner of the wave though; he's got a unique look, a cool new pistol, some clever reuse and what I think is the best head of any Doom they've done. One downside is it doesn't have the black 'hood' behind the mask so anyone hoping to do a quick Kristoff custom still have a little work to do. It's funny with the alternate head though, they talk about how Doom only had one scar from his accident and the alternate portrait is the Hamburger head. Admittedly the retcon of the hot mask burning him is a lot to go into on the packaging but what are you going to do? That being said, the alternate head is not a reuse of Deadpool though I wish the tampo went all the way around his head since I don't think ol' Vic's got any hair now.

I think overall these turned out great despite a few minor annoyances and the disappointment of the Atlantean soldier. Hopefully they do well enough to get some more FF characters like Annihilus, Ronan or Firelord.

Surprisingly these turned up pretty early in their release cycle at my TRU; usually we're the last to get something like this. I'm impressed overall by this wave though the I think the duds are definitely Namor and the Atlantean Soldier. In fact, my pack didn't come with the Cable gun and the soldier's chest armor was warped pretty badly. I think he'd be better if not just for the solid black pants. Maybe they could've retooled Skarr's loincloth? Namor's got an odd expression but the wings are a cool addition. I do wonder why they didn't use the belt from the Defenders box though. Thing's a little goofy but it's a look that hasn't been done before and the big boots do add a little more height to him. Weirdly the rock tampo doesn't go all the way around the back of his head or the insides of his arms. Torch is a nice update though I wish he came with a normal head, chest and hairpiece! It'd be cool to have a completely normal Johnny, maybe the single most ignored FF character variant outside of normal Ben Grimm. Sue's great and the free flight stand's a great bonus but the Mole Man is really hard to stand. I do wish he had a more modest cape though; are there any frayed capes out there they could've reused? Reed's probably the best update wise though I too wish he had the stretch arms in this color. I think 1st appearance Doom's the winner of the wave though; he's got a unique look, a cool new pistol, some clever reuse and what I think is the best head of any Doom they've done. One downside is it doesn't have the black 'hood' behind the mask so anyone hoping to do a quick Kristoff custom still have a little work to do. It's funny with the alternate head though, they talk about how Doom only had one scar from his accident and the alternate portrait is the Hamburger head. Admittedly the retcon of the hot mask burning him is a lot to go into on the packaging but what are you going to do? That being said, the alternate head is not a reuse of Deadpool though I wish the tampo went all the way around his head since I don't think ol' Vic's got any hair now.

I think overall these turned out great despite a few minor annoyances and the disappointment of the Atlantean soldier. Hopefully they do well enough to get some more FF characters like Annihilus, Ronan or Firelord.

About Doom's scars... that's something Lee and Kirby always used to disagree about. Stan thought that Doom's face was really hideous, whereas Jack went with the idea that Doom just had this little scar, but was so vain that he thought his face was ruined. Personally, I love that idea.

About Doom's scars... that's something Lee and Kirby always used to disagree about. Stan thought that Doom's face was really hideous, whereas Jack went with the idea that Doom just had this little scar, but was so vain that he thought his face was ruined. Personally, I love that idea.

Doom did only have a thin scar... from the explosion that caused the rift between him and Reed. Afterward he traveled into the mountians and had his iron mask placed onto his face by monks while it was still glowing hot from the forge. That where the hamburgerhead comes from. Basically doom, since we first saw him had the burnt up face.

To my surprise, I found these today @ TRU... woo hoo! Picked up the Sue and Reed packs, but plan on getting the other 2 when I get some more funds. Very cool figs. No Universal Monsters though. Strange that these are hitting on the East Coast before the West.

BS

where in MA are you? i haven't seen the FF mates, but was able to score the Universal Monsters last week.

To my surprise, I found these today @ TRU... woo hoo! Picked up the Sue and Reed packs, but plan on getting the other 2 when I get some more funds. Very cool figs. No Universal Monsters though. Strange that these are hitting on the East Coast before the West.

BS

where in MA are you? i haven't seen the FF mates, but was able to score the Universal Monsters last week.

Brookfield (Central, MA) I picked them up in Auburn. I think there was only 1 case out when I got there. Just leave me a Torch pack and Namor pack if you go ;)

BS

I checked mine the other day.....they had nothing new.

Although, I'm surprised I could find anything at all, 3 pegs of Marvel and 1 peg of BSG........and I barely found those because the place as of late has looked like a tornado has hit it EVERY DAY.

It's just awful to have to go in there anymore, ask the less-than-knowledgeable staff if they have any new mates and then walk out with nothing.

*Note to self, write letter to company about their abysmal Monroeville, PA location*

BS

Brookfield (Central, MA) I picked them up in Auburn. I think there was only 1 case out when I got there. Just leave me a Torch pack and Namor pack if you go ;)

BS

no worries mate, I'm in Northeast MA up by NH. a bit too far for me, even as addicted as i am lol.

Doom did only have a thin scar... from the explosion that caused the rift between him and Reed. Afterward he traveled into the mountians and had his iron mask placed onto his face by monks while it was still glowing hot from the forge. That where the hamburgerhead comes from. Basically doom, since we first saw him had the burnt up face.

Yeah, that's from John Byrne's Doom origin issue. I've always assumed that the thin scar that drove Doom to fully ruin his face was a tribute to Jack. It's a nice compromise.

Yeah I was referring to the Byrne origin issue, which was covered further in depth pretty recently in the Books of Doom limited series by Ed Brubaker. I can't lie I was kind of hoping for a single scar Doom or even a completely unscarred Victor head to make a fun flashback setup. The fight over the scars has always been interesting to the point where I'm absolutely certain in the early days of the internet I saw a Kirby sketch of what Doom looked like without the mask. I'm a fan of all the looks though most artists these days show there being intense burn marks through the slits on Doom's mask whenever he's got an extreme closeup.

BTW the 'mates were in the Lexington KY TRU. Forgot to mention it!