UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Is any one worried about their comic book store?

maxcarnage

With the next two waves coming out via the mass market and at half the price will any one be buying them from their local comic book store?

This thought has plagued me so, that I only bought the x-men set from TRU. I did this for a number of reasons.

1) I feel the need to support our local comic book store. I don’t know about yours but mine is great, the owner is very nice and always gets minimates.

2) To get all the new avengers you will have to get that whole set over. Think about it. Cap comes with Nick, Spidy comes with Ronin, and Sentry come with Luke Cage. Unlike the x-men set where to complete the line you will only need to get Beast a Shadow Cat

Now I am not saying one way or the other. If I didn’t love my comic book store I would buy them at TRU and if I really did love my comic book store I would not have bought any at TRU. What it really all comes down to is $$$. But I want to know what other collectors thought and are doing.

Thanks to ADYcarter for causing me to think outside the box.

To be honest I've not bought mates at a LCS for a very long time.

The store I sometimes goes to another member has all the chases 'put aside for him' cos he's in there very regularly and has been buying minimates forever (good for him!).

So I tend to either go online or get one of our friendly plastic pushers on here to 'hook me up'.

As for Mass Market being released first.... yep I agree it's going to kill speciality pretty damn quick, as you say a lot of people arent going to buy mates twice and stores will be left with a lot of 'half sets' that wont shift.

It's obvious that Speciality mates aren't viable alone anymore so they have to go to mass too, it'd be a shame if the only places you can buy them in the future is at mass.

T.

To be honest I've not bought mates at a LCS for a very long time.

The store I sometimes goes to another member has all the chases 'put aside for him' cos he's in there very regularly and has been buying minimates forever (good for him!).

So I tend to either go online or get one of our friendly plastic pushers on here to 'hook me up'.

As for Mass Market being released first.... yep I agree it's going to kill speciality pretty damn quick, as you say a lot of people arent going to buy mates twice and stores will be left with a lot of 'half sets' that wont shift.

It's obvious that Speciality mates aren't viable alone anymore so they have to go to mass too, it'd be a shame if the only places you can buy them in the future is at mass.

T.

Yes it would, but it would possibly help bring more success, so that we can get even more minimates.

I want to, but my prefered LCS knows that I'd want them but that they won't because nobody else will buy them. Too many times where they've gone out on a limb and I've had to slowly buy the case while apologizing.

And other retailers here locally are learning the same lession, toy store chain bought a large number of Wave 6/7 cases on release and took until the middle of THIS year sell the last of them at a heavy discount, and other comic store bought single case of SFII mates and they've only sold three packs.... to me. Rest are still there :(

I want to, but my prefered LCS knows that I'd want them but that they won't because nobody else will buy them. Too many times where they've gone out on a limb and I've had to slowly buy the case while apologizing.

And other retailers here locally are learning the same lession, toy store chain bought a large number of Wave 6/7 cases on release and took until the middle of THIS year sell the last of them at a heavy discount, and other comic store bought single case of SFII mates and they've only sold three packs.... to me. Rest are still there :(

Yeah. My local place sold one to me, and two others to people who returned them because of the $10 price tag.

My local shop gets 'Mates in and he holds the variants for him, but except for one guy who moved to another province I'm the only one who really buys them here. If I hadn't of been collecting since Marvel Wave 2 there's just no way I could do this whole hog, and while my local comic shop has been very helpful the majority of 'Mates I have were bought online. Like the hard-to-get C3 Wave 2, my shop just couldn't get them, but I ended up buying two of each set on eBay early on for less then I would have paid in the shop. Again, it's hit and miss (and mostly miss) when it comes to a comic shop. Sadly, they may be a dinosaur now....

I hate my comic book store. I used to get 20%+ off and they got all the mates in. LAst year it changed hands and now I get no discount and they "dont do toys", so I've gone from spending $300+ a month there to nothing. Which is good in a way as I dont really have that much spare cash :P

Sadly they're the only comic store around here so now I have to rely on our lovely boardies to hook me up :D

I'm very worried about my LCS. I can understand DST working to get into the mass market, but what really bugs me is the "ship to TRU first". What a BS clause that is -- like any sales via a comic store are really going to hurt TRU's bottom line. It especially pisses me off! because my local TRUs don't have any of the recent releases on the shelves.

Seems to me we collectors ought to have the choice of being treated by people who care about us and the toys, even if it does mean a small jump in price. Are you listening DST?

My LCS guy is an ass to me most of the time. He seems mad if I buy alot. Why would you complain if someone comes in and cleans your shelves off for you the same day they arrive? If more people want them, order more. I am glad they are more easily available in mass markets. I most likely will not return to him, unless I am in dire need. Internet, fellow board members, and TRU/Target get me by now. Although I did get my Javelin/Batcycle from him......

After the first few waves, many comic shops dropped minimates and stopped ordering them. Unless they are a popular store or you don't pre-order, they won't order them nowadays. I order cases and also my LCS gives me sweet deals and make getting cases more a little wallet friendly.

It just doesn't always make sense for the specialty shops to order them regularly if the become shelf warmers. Now even more with Mass Market getting the minis first, but mass actually is keeping the line running. My problem with mass is hunting them down at different store locations and not getting any luck. I'm still going to order from my shop as long as we get some additional new figs compared to the mass assortment. Plus I don't have to hunt down for minis at my LCS.

My LCS claims they will have the new marvel waves and the DC waves but most of them (all really) havent carried them since the cable wave truth be told I got those waves for a 2 for 1 at 6.00 a crank because they sold so badly the comic specialty market is a hurting place and while I would like to offer support to my LCS I'm forced to resort to ordering from the net or now retail stores like target and T-R-U if they do carry them I'll go there first but I can already see that beast/kitty pride 2 pack is going to be scarce