UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

News from SDCC 2010

Wow. Just wow. I'm surprised though that they show like a shitload of MAX and halo mates and we still haven't seen wave 38! But everything looks really good. You'd have to be a really selfish douchebag to not be happy with these sets. My favorite is probably the X-Force set; but I like 90s X-Men too! :wolvie:

Okay, I'm a selfish douchebag. It's not like I have to buy all of these.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: Me, too. I think the dull black and white X-Men team is boring as hell. That's the wrong direction for Minimates. More colors > less colors. Looking forward to that BTTF set, though. And it is cool to see the Universal Monsters packaged up.

I am SOOOO pumped about the AoA minimates. IMO it's one of the best done crossovers (head over heals better than Onslaught). Back in my customizing days I had plans for knocking them out at some point.

I don't know why all the AOA hate. Don't hate just it was done in the 90s. Some of the best character makeovers I've seen. Cant wait to get my hands on them.

I don't know why all the AOA hate. Don't hate just it was done in the 90s. Some of the best character makeovers I've seen. Cant wait to get my hands on them.

You are letting your nostalgia cloud your thinking, methinks :D

I love 80s style (Susan is one of my top Minimates), but can understand that my opinion is far from objective.

But then, I admit that my hatred of all things 90s clouds my judgment a tad, as well. God, there was some horrible crap pumped out back then.

Edited by karamazov80

I am SOOOO pumped about the AoA minimates. IMO it's one of the best done crossovers (head over heals better than Onslaught). Back in my customizing days I had plans for knocking them out at some point.

Right on. I reread AOA a couple months back and its epicness still holds up today. Despite being in the dreaded 90s, it really is a great crossover. Better than any of the crossovers like House of M, Decimation, Second Coming, or whatever 'event' Marvel has these days that just end up fizzling and disappointing.

Right on. I reread AOA a couple months back and its epicness still holds up today. Despite being in the dreaded 90s, it really is a great crossover. Better than any of the crossovers like House of M, Decimation, Second Coming, or whatever 'event' Marvel has these days that just end up fizzling and disappointing.

Yeah, AoA was a great crossover. It had cool new designs for characters, a fully fleshed out universe that had its story nicely taken care of in 36-or-so issues. Ignoring the prequels and the 10th anniversary nonsense, I'd say AoA is great. I hope we see more characters from the AoA in the future.

I am freaking STOKED to be seeing the AOA stuff. The 2nd boxset is also Awesome. And i'm damn glad to see at least a couple of Villains included. I was worried we might only get Apocalypse.

I'd be bummed and just a little surprised if we don't at least see Blink & Morph in a future 2-pack or 4-pack. It'd be awesome to see a few others make the cut too. Storm, Bishop, Holocaust, & Sabretooth would all be VERY welcome. I'd love to see a huge hulking Colossus packed with a nasty little Shadowcat (she was such a b*tch in the AoA) in there too somewhere - but i doubt we'll see that many more than the already hinted at Blink TRU exclusive.

AND. . . i can not FREAKING believe that i am going to get to cross AoA Jean Grey off my Top 10 most wanted list. She was the one figure on there that i really thought we would NEVER see. The most ridiculous or all my X-wants. Colour me crazy-happy-excited :woot:

I am freaking STOKED to be seeing the AOA stuff. The 2nd boxset is also Awesome. And i'm damn glad to see at least a couple of Villains included. I was worried we might only get Apocalypse.

I'd be bummed and just a little surprised if we don't at least see Blink & Morph in a future 2-pack or 4-pack. It'd be awesome to see a few others make the cut too. Storm, Bishop, Holocaust, & Sabretooth would all be VERY welcome. I'd love to see a huge hulking Colossus packed with a nasty little Shadowcat (she was such a b*tch in the AoA) in there too somewhere - but i doubt we'll see that many more than the already hinted at Blink TRU exclusive.

AND. . . i can not FREAKING believe that i am going to get to cross AoA Jean Grey off my Top 10 most wanted list. She was the one figure on there that i really thought we would NEVER see. The most ridiculous or all my X-wants. Colour me crazy-happy-excited :woot:

Cyclops needs his visor and Jean needs bigger boobs. haha

standing.jpg

Seriously these sets are amazing. I hope they have a bunch of accessories. Flame blast for Sunfire, energy blasts for Magneto and Jean, Cyke's visor, an alternate arm for Weapon X with just a stub and no claw, and some sort of vial for Dark Beast.

Cyclops needs his visor and Jean needs bigger boobs. haha.

I'm very sure we'll see Cyke with his long hair and visor. At a guess, i'd say they proto piece was either a) not completed yet, B) lost on the way to the show, c) not displayed as to show off the facial decal, or d) all of the above.

And I'm sure Weapon X will have a plain stump-hand as well as the claw-stump :)

And now to gripe about stuff (because that's why Al Gore made the internet)...

I also find it completely LAME that there are not one, but TWO AoA sets, and neither has Blink or Morph in it. Or X-Man for that matter, this would have been the perfect way to work him in.

I feel like Blink, Morph, X-Man, Sabretooh, Holocaust & Sunfire have the most "usefulness" as it were, since they all have identities to support their AoA looks outside the AoA... but Sunfire is the only one who made it? That bites.

I'm hoping however, since I Blink, Morph & Sabretooth are absent, that we might see an Exiles set or a couple Exiles themed two-packs to compliment the AoA sets, which would naturally contain Blink, Morph, Sabretooth, and possibly Nocturne or Holocaust or other characters. I'd still like an X-Man, but he might be in the cards soon anyway, with his recent comeback.

Now, regarding the characters they did include, Sunfire makes me happy, since he can double as a 616 Sunfire for my X-Men collection, until they make a classic one. Dark Beast dissapoints me a little... I don't like how he looked in AoA, with the long hair. I like how he looked in the Genoshan Excalibur series... like normal beast, but grey and evil. I'm hoping Cyclops has an alternate head, because if he doesn't, they missed the mark I think. Needs his 1 eye and long hair. And am I nuts, or is Wolverine's hair HUGE? Rogue and Magneto both look cool.

Modern X-Force... gotta say... I like the book... the set doesn't wow me. Nice to get the team rounded out, but I'd have prefered a better looking Domino to a black Psylocke. Angel looks cool, but I HATE that they didn't redesign his wings, since I loathe them on the two I have. They're gigantic, he can never stand up straight, and they're constantly curling inward to make a shell around him, so I have to blowdry them to bend them back out to his sides. Black Psylocke, like I said, bores me. Deadpool and Fantomex are news to me, I'm a few months behind reading the book. I assume they joined recently? Either way, I don't like either of them in Black. I prefer their classic White and Red respectively. So like... not a bad set... but it just feels like a bnch of variants I didn't need, and Fantomex, the 1 new character, isn't the way I like him. PS. Is Wolverine in this set, or did they just put the existing one next to them for the display? If he's in it, I'm sure this goes without saying but... lame.

Wave 37, I just have a quick question, what's the guy in the orange jumpsuit? Is that a Ben Grimm, underneith the Thing pieces? I'd guess? Maybe?

Cap Ages, I'm mildly upset that US Agent didn't make it in, but eh. They look nice at least.

Heroes set... Spidey, Thor & Iron Man all don't look any better than what we already have, but I do like this Bucky Cap better than the first one.

Edited by Gillbob316

I've seen a lot of complaints on how they should have put Domino or Feral in the X-Force set instead of Wolvie, Deadpool, or Psylocke.

Maybe I can help clear this up for those who don't know. This set is supposed to be the UNCANNY X-Force, not the normal X-Force. This is the new X-Force team which consists of Angel, Psylocke, Fantomex, Deadpool, and Wolverine as the leader. So All the mates in the set are not there without cause.

I too would've loved Domino instead of Wolvie, but she just wouldn't have been sense. I'm also guessing the reason for the new Wolvie mask is because they didn't want to release the same exact X-Force version that already came out.

Thanks to Mini Myte for sharing the link to this photo:

IMG_0939.jpg

Love the black & white versions of the monsters. But I love the villager even more. Is this the first time we've seen him? Is he going to be an army builder for the Universal Monsters? Do you think they'll use his apron to make a Puppet Master Minimate? And most importantly, is anyone else planning to use him to make a Torgo Minimate? (The Master will see you now...)

Edited by boyd

You are letting your nostalgia cloud your thinking, methinks :D

I love 80s style (Susan is one of my top Minimates), but can understand that my opinion is far from objective.

But then, I admit that my hatred of all things 90s clouds my judgment a tad, as well. God, there was some horrible crap pumped out back then.

could be on the nostalgia point but I have reread AoA last year and thought it still held. What i liked about it most when it came out was that they reimaged the characters and dropped us in this new universe. They told a story and then cleaned it all up save Nate Grey, Holocaust and a few others. It was a great concept and executed well IMO.

Now the 10th yr anniversary stuff....THAT was crap.

I think these pictures have made me a little more excited for series 37, and a lot less excited for everything else.

I'm a little upset that U.S. Agent didn't make it as well. They could have marketed him as John Walker and gave him the optional claw hand.

On second look-through I really like the modern X-Force set. It is kind of a shame that we won't get a regular Fantomex before this variant, but I understand that his being part of this team is probably the only reason why we are getting him to begin with.

Edited by Killek

I think these pictures have made me a little more excited for series 37, and a lot less excited for everything else.

I'm a little upset that U.S. Agent didn't make it as well. They could have marketed him as John Walker and gave him the optional claw hand.

we already have a john walker USAgent...

the universal monster's wolfman, is going to be made into a Teen Wolf so fast it will make your head spin!!

moc847

Am I the only one who's disappointed that Xavier doesn't have extra arms with rolled up sleeves for his safari suit? I've never once seen him in that, with the sleeves rolled down. They're always rolled up (and they could utilize those awesome cuffs they've been using lately), with the longer-but-still-short black sleeves peeking out from underneath. Either way, his forearms are supposed to be bare. And gloves. He has gloves with that outfit. :(

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the latest batch of Marvel Mates:

* Thing looks to tower over the other mates which is pretty cool

* Prof X having his safari suit underneath the suit is a nice touch

* Shocked to see the new X-force figures (I've been wanting that Archangel!)

* I'm glad US Agent didn't make the cut in the Captain America set because I just fixed up my Agent figure.

Heroic Age Set is kinda lame.

I wasn't a huge AOA X-men fan so I'm gonna pass of these figures.