UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Looks like there's an X3 wave after all...

Lobsterman

Hmmm on one hand yay new minimates. On the other, why after the DVD release and where are the other major characters? Colossus was hardly a large part in the film compared to Magneto or Xavier.

Kills two birds with one stone, means that they don't waste the work they put into them AND cut the time required to produce and get approvals on a new wave, especially Marvel has already signed off on them.

As for Colossus, assuming Wolverine's hair piece is a new one as it looks to be, he's made from stock pieces, where other characters would need new molding. Think of him as a Mr. Fantastic to the rest of FF mates, gotta cut corners somewhere to pay for new molding...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too excited that wave 14 is yet more X-men, but at least we're getting some new minimates at last.

Hopefully they'll sort their quality problems out too ;)

Anyone else find it weird that the "official" AA Forum hadn't even mentioned these minis?

Not really, as the recent blurbs in Previews ("A Diamond Select toy release! An Art Asylum design!") tends to show who wears the pants in the relationship, and the Cereal Mates leaks means things are much more tighter in regards to release of info.

Well, it's already been confirmed that the US will get a 2-disc version of X3 sometime in the future (other regions are already getting it this month, while we get the single disc), so they still have a chance to get these out at the same time as a DVD of the movie.

trust me, they won't be out by the time of the movie since it came out today

I can't believe they think this line up would sell better than a classic avengers lineup.

Thor, Abomination, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, Wasp, anything??

I sometimes wonder who they think their customer base is. Are they trying to reach a mass-market and each new X-men line is intended to break that market, for that matter are their X-men lines selling well? I guess I could understand why they kept putting out X-men and Spider-man if there were sales figures to back it up.

But I'm willing to bet that their sales in the mass market are pitifully low. That the collectors are the ones really driving the sales and that X-men minimates only account for a small increase in sales. If that small increase is all that's keeping the line afloat I guess we've got to live with more X-men but damnit, I want a Doctor Strange and Namor so I can have a collection of Defenders.

I can't believe they think this line up would sell better than a classic avengers lineup.

Thor, Abomination, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, Wasp, anything??

I sometimes wonder who they think their customer base is. Are they trying to reach a mass-market and each new X-men line is intended to break that market, for that matter are their X-men lines selling well? I guess I could understand why they kept putting out X-men and Spider-man if there were sales figures to back it up.

But I'm willing to bet that their sales in the mass market are pitifully low. That the collectors are the ones really driving the sales and that X-men minimates only account for a small increase in sales. If that small increase is all that's keeping the line afloat I guess we've got to live with more X-men but damnit, I want a Doctor Strange and Namor so I can have a collection of Defenders.

I'm pretty sure they've said repeatedly in Q&A's that specialty market minimates take up a relatively small proportion of sales as compaired to mass market. Yes, they realize that we're a key market, but we're not the ones driving the sales, no matter how much we like to think we are.

I mean think about it. We get more characters yes, but they sell maybe two cases of 2-Packs of each series, many of which just stay there for months (Who hasn't seen an abundance of leftover crap sets at their local shop? Mine had Rhino vs Grey Hulk marked down to $1 a pack) to a handful of comic book stores across the country vs selling several cases of 4 packs to every toys r us in the country.

A case of nothing but Iceman & Wolverine sets would stay stagnant at any comic book store you put it in for months. Wheras they can put one in every target in the US and sell it out in a week or two.

Collectors like X-Men, Spider-Man, and all the other stuff. We buy regardless. Kids like X-Men and Spider-man, and coudl take or leave the other stuff. As much as I'm not thrilled about these lastest 3 lineups, frankly they make perfect sense from a sales standpoint.

Put Hawkeye vs Namor on the shelf, and we buy it, but an average 10 year old could give a damn. Put X3 Wolverine vs X3 Juggernaut on the shelf, and we all buy it.

But what about Marvel Legends? Those feature an abundance of characters and seem to do well on the mass market shelves.

6" figures have a bigger market in general than normal figures, and Marvel Legends (and its many sister toy lines) are highly saturated with Spider-Mans, Wolverines, Hulks, Things & Iron Mans.

And it does have its fair share of pegwarmers. Characters like Namor, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Maestro, Vengeance, Sabretooth and lots of other guys who aren't the biggest headliners have been known to collect dust on shelves for quite a while. The figures that sell out are the ones that dominate each shipment, like Wolverine, in any form, or the ones that only come 1 or 2 per case, like Hawkeye and Vision.

I'm excited....I'll pretty much buy any X-Minimate that comes out, and I think these look good. Juggernaut and Beast look the best, while Jean looks weird. I'd imagine for Phoenix, the face would be darkened, and her hair is probably going to be a new mold, more wild and crazy.

Bring on the Marvel Zombies!

I'd love to have the Galactus versions of Ant Man, Spider-Man, Hulk, Wolverine, Iron Man and Luke Cage, especally considering the damage most of them took.

On the one hand, great. Another Beast to add to my collection. On the other, we've just had an X-Men line, and personally I'd be more interested in a Civil War based set. None the less, I'd probably get the Beast/Juggernaut set (assuming I can find it over here).

But what about Marvel Legends? Those feature an abundance of characters and seem to do well on the mass market shelves.

6" figures have a bigger market in general than normal figures, and Marvel Legends (and its many sister toy lines) are highly saturated with Spider-Mans, Wolverines, Hulks, Things & Iron Mans.

And it does have its fair share of pegwarmers. Characters like Namor, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Maestro, Vengeance, Sabretooth and lots of other guys who aren't the biggest headliners have been known to collect dust on shelves for quite a while. The figures that sell out are the ones that dominate each shipment, like Wolverine, in any form, or the ones that only come 1 or 2 per case, like Hawkeye and Vision.

I think one of the reasons Namor was a peg warmer is that it wasn't the 'legends' version of the character. Had he been in the green speedos, it would have sold better. Panther, Dr Strange, Vengeance all sold well around here. Sabretooth (AOA version) was a peg warmer - I'll give you that - but I think that's because it's been SO long since the miniseries, people just didn't care. AOA Wolverine was a must have to build the Giant Man fig, so he sold well - otherwise, he'd have been a peg warmer as well. (Just like he was when the AOA 5" line was on the shelves years ago.) Maestro is another victim of a great storyline that's been forgotten - not to mention that the figure didn't come with any of the 'cool' features I was looking for, like a Wolverine skeleton or his belt of helmets.

Hawkeye and Vision are two of the most wanted Avengers 'mates - up there with Thor IMO.

Point is, AA/DST could be doing SO much more with the line. Instead of taking a chance and giving us figures we want, they're playing it safe with constant Spidey, Cyclops, Wolverine and Captain America repaints. Even in a wave like this, we're getting another Jean, another Wolverine, another Storm, another Juggy, and another Beast.

Juggy, Beast and maybe Storm I'm ok with. Where's Iceman? Angel? Rogue? Pyro?

I just want some variety, like we used to get when they were new. Is that too much to ask?